News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

QuoteA few years back, there was a proposal for an interstate to built from Gulfport to Jackson to parallel U.S. 49. This was before Katrina struck and given the state of the economy these days, I don't where that project stands.

MS 601/Gulfport Port Connector/"I-310" represents the southern, Gulfport-to-Wiggins part of this larger proposal.  The larger proposal is from the Vision 21 program (part legislation, part MDOT).  And it wasn't specifically for an Interstate per se...it was for an "Interstate-grade facility".

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: berberry on January 27, 2011, 12:55:03 PM
...I wonder if that means it'll be done in the same style as I-55 through Ridgeland - a quick job without upgrades to the shoulders, leaving them rather inadequate.

Which leads to my next question. When is anything going to be done about that stretch of I-55? Also, how soon before they start reconstructing the I-55/I-220/County Line interchange?

berberry

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on January 28, 2011, 03:02:22 AM
Quote from: berberry on January 27, 2011, 12:55:03 PM
...I wonder if that means it'll be done in the same style as I-55 through Ridgeland - a quick job without upgrades to the shoulders, leaving them rather inadequate.

Which leads to my next question. When is anything going to be done about that stretch of I-55? Also, how soon before they start reconstructing the I-55/I-220/County Line interchange?

I have no idea, to both questions.  MDOT often promotes projects as though they're about to commence, then never says a word about problems and delays that crop up.  Local media simply report what MDOT tells them; they never go back later and ask questions.

Case in point is the widening of Vicksburg's stretch of I-20.  About a year ago, the Vicksburg Post ran a long article about how additional lanes were to be added and interchanges rebuilt or modified.  The article made it sound as though townsfolk should be preparing for lane closures, frontage-road detours, difficulties getting to I-20 businesses and all the rest.  

So far, nothing.  

For what it's worth, a new batch of project update press releases was posted this week at gomdot.

golden eagle

Quote from: berberry on January 24, 2011, 10:59:28 AM
Quote from: SSF on January 14, 2011, 05:19:25 PM
When I drove through MS on I-20 today, I saw some MDOT surveyors out in the median around Morton and 3 miles east of Morton.  Would they be widening it to 6 lanes out that far? it's a good 20 miles past the last bit of 6 lane widening they are working on now.

Likely, they're doing the same thing they've done in Vicksburg and on a few stretches along 20 toward Jackson.  They survey and mark locations in various ways, leave, then soon return and build buffer fences along each set of lanes.  I'd look for those fences near Morton within a month or so, based on what you've described.

Update on the Scott County work from today's Clarion-Ledger:

FOREST, MISS. – The Department of Transportation plans a two-year reconstruction of about 18 miles of Interstate 20 in Scott County in central Mississippi, to begin this spring.

The $57.2 million project will include a periodic shutdown of the eastbound and westbound lanes and significant traffic disruption, said central district Transportation Commissioner Dick Hall.

The Scott County Times reports the construction zone will extend for 17.8 miles from Mississippi Highway 481 the Morton-Pulaski exit in Scott County to the Newton County line. Completion is scheduled for May 2013.

Hall said motorists will come across a variety of construction signs, cones, concrete barriers and state law mandated lower speed limits with double speeding fines for violations.

MDOT will remove all existing asphalt pavement and the old concrete from beneath the roadway between Mississippi Highway 481 and Highway 501, a distance of 10 miles, and replace with asphalt pavement.

The remainder of project between Highway 501 and the Newton County line, a distance of 7.8 miles, will be mill and overlay work. MDOT will prepare over the next few weeks to divert traffic to the eastbound lanes while the westbound lanes are closed and reconstructed. Median barriers will separate the two-way traffic.

In March 2012, traffic will moved to the newly reconstructed westbound lanes so work can be done on the eastbound lanes.

froggie

In other words, Morton to Forest is a full pavement reconstruction, while Forest to Lake is a mill-and-overlay.  I was reading up on that earlier today.

cjk374

Quote from: golden eagle on January 30, 2011, 08:22:14 PM

MDOT will remove all existing asphalt pavement and the old concrete from beneath the roadway between Mississippi Highway 481 and Highway 501, a distance of 10 miles, and replace with asphalt pavement.

The remainder of project between Highway 501 and the Newton County line, a distance of 7.8 miles, will be mill and overlay work. MDOT will prepare over the next few weeks to divert traffic to the eastbound lanes while the westbound lanes are closed and reconstructed. Median barriers will separate the two-way traffic.

WHAT???  All of that work and money....for ASPHALT?!?!?!  :verymad: (in the words of a segment on ESPN)....C'MMMOOOOONNNNN MAAAAANNN!!!!!!!   :banghead:    :thumbdown:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

golden eagle

Here's a similar article from the Scott County Times. Cost tag on this is over $57 million.

Marc

QuoteIn March 2012, traffic will moved to the newly reconstructed westbound lanes so work can be done on the eastbound lanes.

They're not in a hurry to get anything done down there, are they?

froggie

They usually aren't.  IIRC, it took 2 years to do the pavement rehab on I-20/59 east of Meridian.

Grzrd

I recently came across this approximate seven-month old article that discusses Mississippi 6 and Mississippi 9 (as well as Mississippi 15):

http://nems360.com/view/full_story/8048799/article-Plans-and-work-move-forward-for-Highways-6--9-and-15?

It indicates that paving on the last section of new Mississippi 6 between Tupelo and Pontotoc should begin in early 2012 (with anticipated completion in 2014).  I was just wondering if anyone has recently driven by the project & has any updates?

Also, the article mentions a 2011 legislative review that is necessary for the Mississippi 9 upgrade to proceed.  The article mentions that the section north of Sherman is controversial.  Does anyone know if any opposition has arisen to the Pontotoc to Sherman section?  Here's a link MDOT's alternatives for the Pontotoc to Sherman section:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/Studies/Northern/SR9/pdf/Part1/SR%209%20Proposed%20Alternative.pdf

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

golden eagle

Bridge work underway for relocation of MS 463 in Madison

The hint of the bridge that will soar over downtown Madison is beginning to emerge.

The project of relocating Mississippi 463 to connect to U.S. 51 is scheduled for completion later this year. Currently running slightly behind schedule, the work to construct a four-lane road and lengthy bridge over the railroad tracks stands at about 26 percent complete, said Neil Patterson, project engineer for the Mississippi Department of Transportation.

"The contractor is working toward finishing in October," Patterson said.

A 1,284-foot bridge is the key component of the project that routes traffic north of the existing two-lane section of Mississippi 463, which is called Main Street through town. The new new section of Mississippi 463 connects with the four-lane boulevard section that runs east from I-55.

The new bridge will rise approximately 33 feet into the air to clear the train tracks. MDOT and city officials have said the height of the bridge will make it easily visible from all directions.

A retaining wall for the bridge is almost complete, and all the drilled shafts and footings have been complete on the bridge, Patterson said. Work has also commenced just east on U.S. 51 on Hoy Road. The MDOT project also includes extending the four lanes of the new road on Hoy Road to Old Canton Road, he said. Tanner Construction bid $27.4 million for the job, almost 15 percent below the state estimate.

The construction resulted in the city's closing off two roads to through traffic. Pecan Hill Drive just past the parking lot of Madison United Methodist Church is shut down and so is Hoy Road Extension just past the parking lot of First Baptist Church of Madison.

"It has limited our access some, but people have been very good about it," said Glenn Holder, business administrator for First Baptist. "Sometimes it takes some inconvenience to make progress."

The current stretch of Main Street will remain open once the new road opens. Madison plans to convert it into a pedestrian-friendly area filled with shops and restaurants. Cars will still be able to travel on Main Street through what will be considered the city's historic district.

Henry

And now, the Airport Parkway has a new number, I-755:

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-755_ms.html
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

THEORETICAL NUMBER.  Not officially approved or even suggested by local officials.  A complicating factor in using such a number is that, as currently designed, there are no direct freeway-to-freeway ramps at the proposed I-55 interchange.

brownpelican

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on January 24, 2011, 11:48:58 AM
Quote from: froggie on January 21, 2011, 02:39:55 PM
As I understand it, clearing is underway for part of the port connector.

The I-10/110 interchange is currently in the environmental study phase.  MDOT's STIP includes ROW acquistion, but no construction, through 2013.

I've also heard that they're looking to fund a third interstate between I-10 and U.S. 90? Any truth to this?

That's the port connector. I believe it will be dubbed I-310.

cbalducc

New long-term plan for Mississippi transportation:

http://www.multiplan2035.com/

God bless,

CKB

Grzrd

MDOT is in the process of using design-build for the 4-lane upgrade of SR 9 from SR 6 in Pontotoc to US 78 (Future I-22) in Sherman (a significant portion of it will be new terrain). The presence of the Toyota plant is apparently giving them a sense of urgency. The project is to be completed by Dec. 31, 2012:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/DesignBuild/pdf/SR9/Notice%20of%20Intent%20-%20State%20Route%209.pdf

Here is a link to the Environmental Assessment - Finding of No Significant Impact:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/DesignBuild/pdf/SR9/10_12_09_APPROVED_FONSI.pdf

froggie

Grzrd noted in the I-269 thread that MDOT plans on letting the northernmost segment between MS 302 and the Tennessee line next week.

Looking through the other lettings for next week, there are 2 other projects of note.  One is grading and draining of 2 additional lanes on MS 15 from a couple miles north of New Albany north to the Union/Tippah County line.  The other is for a new diamond interchange on MS 475 at Old Brandon Rd near the Jackson Airport.  This latter one will eliminate the double-turn that MS 475 through traffic must partake (of which one turn is through the roundabout at Airport Rd/Old Brandon Rd), and will also include a direct ramp from northbound MS 475 to the aforementioned roundabout for airport-bound traffic.

Ace10

Mississippi calls its highways State Routes? Wow, that's news to me. I thought they were just Mississippi State Highways.

froggie

Depends on who you talk to. MDOT often refers to them as highways.

golden eagle

I hear the term "state route" every so often, but otherwise, we use "Highway (insert number)" or "MS (insert number)".

Grzrd

I've mostly heard "Highway", but used "SR 9" in above post because that is how MDOT referred to it in the both the Notice of Intent & FONSI. I thought I had been mistaken about "Highway" ...

lamsalfl

http://www.multiplan2035.com/PDF/TM%2017%20MS%20CORRIDORS%20OF%20STATEWIDE%20SIGNIFICANCE.pdf

So I-20 is going to be six-laned to Vicksburg, I-55 south to Crystal Springs and some other north MS I-55 widenings, but I-10 (arguably the most dangerous interstate in MS with the most truck traffic) has no plans for further widening?  Are you kidding me?  It's in desperate need of six-laning to the Alabama line and probably to Louisiana as well.  In fact, Alabama just broke ground on 4 miles of widening further west to mile marker 14. 

golden eagle

I don't mind a six-laned I-20 from Jackson to Vicksburg, but I wouldn't justify it right now over other projects. The traffic isn't heavy enough for me to warrant it.

I did see where US 49 is targeted to changed into a limited-access highway from Jackson to the coast. My mom said years ago that MDOT should do this. I don't see this happening anytime soon, but I'd like to see that happen.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: lamsalfl on March 20, 2011, 08:30:05 PM
I-10 (arguably the most dangerous interstate in MS with the most truck traffic) has no plans for further widening?  Are you kidding me?  It's in desperate need of six-laning to the Alabama line and probably to Louisiana as well.  In fact, Alabama just broke ground on 4 miles of widening further west to mile marker 14. 

I've long felt that I-10/I-12 should be at least six lanes from Houston to Pensacola

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.