News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Exit signs on interstates

Started by hotdogPi, August 10, 2013, 11:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Duke87 on August 16, 2013, 08:51:46 PM
Quote from: signalman on August 12, 2013, 11:31:23 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 12, 2013, 08:54:45 AM
In a way, non-reduced tenths make a lot of sense because odometers measure in tenths (if they show portions of a mile). I'd find a sign saying x/10 a lot more useful than a sign using eighths of a mile, fifths of a mile, or feet.
Good point.  I never considered the tenths counter on odometers.  Probably because the only tenths counter I have in my car are on the trip odometers.

It's also perhaps an extra mental step to take since we insist on continuing to use fractions instead of decimals when the idea is archaic in most of the rest of the world. "4/10 mile" is more useful than "2/5 mile", but "0.4 miles" would be even more intuitive to relate to an odometer.

To your average international visitor, saying "two fifths" instead of "zero point four" sounds about as old fashioned as saying "quarter past six" instead of "six fifteen" sounds to us.

You don't say "forty-five to seven"?  :confused:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.