News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Non-freeway beltways

Started by hotdogPi, January 04, 2014, 09:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

An example of what I am talking about is MA 27. It wraps around Boston at a distance of about 20 miles away. It's not that great of an example, but it's the best I can find.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hbelkins

Man O'War Boulevard in Lexington, Ky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Charles2

Ross Clark Circle (AL-210) in Dothan, AL.

realjd

Belt Line Road in Dallas
Loop 12 in Dallas (some freeway portions)
Semoran Blvd (SR-436) in Orlando
Coliseum Blvd (SR-930) in Fort Wayne, IN
US-52 in Lafayette, IN
The upcoming Palm Bay Parkway here in Palm Bay, FL http://parkwaypatriots.weebly.com/maps.html

Joe The Dragon

SD Mapman

I know Wyoming has a few: WY 258 in Casper, WY 212 in Cheyenne, and WY 376 in Rock Springs.
To SD...
If it doesn't have to go all the way around the city, Elk Vale Road/Catron Boulevard (SD 79 and Truck US 16) would count for Rapid City.
They are also planning to have a bypass around Sioux Falls (SD 100), but I don't know when they'll get to it.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Alps

North/East/South Blvd., Montgomery AL
US 202, everything from Wilmington to Portland
Pittsburgh's colored belts

Brian556

SR 155 Nashville TN

Tons in TX:
examples:
LOOP 288 Denton. Partial Arterial, Partial Expy
LOOP 323 Tyler. Arterial.

NE2

Sprawlmoran Boulevard (SR 436).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

lordsutch

SR 20 in Georgia probably qualifies, although it's only about a 1/2 beltway of Atlanta. The aborted Northern Arc was supposed to at least build a freeway from I-75 to I-85; there's a stopgap set of improvements planned instead, but eventually a freeway (almost certainly a toll road) is probably inevitable.

San Antonio has Loop 1604, which is eventually planned to be a full freeway but is about 70% non-freeway today.  As pointed out above, TxDOT has a lot of loops in a similar boat.

lepidopteran

Dayton, OH has a string of several roads that make a partial loop around the city.  The roads have different names, but collectively they have the designation "Wright Brothers Parkway".

Madison, WI has W. Beltline Highway, but a glance at Google Maps suggests it was upgraded to full freeway.  Not sure when this upgrade took place.  Abandonment of at least 2 at-grade RR crossings might have helped.

In Nashville, TN, Briley Parkway (TN-155) is full freeway north of I-40.  South of there, TN-155 becomes an arterial and changes names at least 3 times before returning to freeway form on the other end.

In Lexington, KY, New Circle Rd (KY-4) is about 1/3 non-freeway, specifically in the arc closest to I-75.

CNGL-Leudimin

The Rxx series in Belgium. Only those with two digits, the Rx are all freeway-like.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

mefailenglish

Tallahassee, FL has the Capital Circle, FL 263 on the west side, US 319 on the east side.  But it's only a 3/4 loop; the northern piece is missing.

froggie

- VA 262 (the northern half)
- VA 286/Fairfax County Pkwy
- Originally, Military Hwy in the Norfolk/South Hampton Roads area (now US 13 and VA 165) performed a similar function.

1995hoo

–Herndon Parkway around Herndon, Virginia (forms a full ring)

–The unpaved road around the Goshen Scout Camps (reservation east of the town of Goshen owned by the Boy Scouts of America's National Capital Area Council) is called "the beltway" with a lowercase "b." Or at least it was in the 1980s and 1990s.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US81

San Antonio used to have Loop 13. Some of the northern loop was upgraded into I-410; it is still signed and exists as surface streets to the south circling maybe 3/5 of the city.

US 41

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

m2tbone

Columbia, MO:  MO-740 (Stadium Blvd.) circles Columbia to the west and south (connecting I-70 to US-63) with future plans to connect back to I-70 in the east.

St. Louis Metro:  MO-141 acts as an outer belt starting at MO-370 northwest of St. Louis and ending just past I-55 south of St. Louis.

corco

The Gallatin County Montana outerbelt- starting from I-90, US 89 south to the North Loop Rd in Yellowstone, the North Loop Rd west to US 20, US 20 west to US 287, US 287 north to US 12, US 12 east to US 89, US 89 south to I-90

http://goo.gl/maps/t95Dc
http://goo.gl/maps/3A7BA

tchafe1978

In the Milwaukee area, WI 100 was the original beltway. Probably 75% of it is now one big long commercial strip.

dgolub

This probably doesn't count because it's too far away from the city, but NY 28 forms a semicircle around Albany with something like a 50-mile radius.

Jardine

Quote from: tchafe1978 on January 05, 2014, 11:14:09 AM
In the Milwaukee area, WI 100 was the original beltway. Probably 75% of it is now one big long commercial strip.

I was in the area around 1980 and it was building up rapidly then.  Hiways can be an engine of economic development.

I recall enjoying driving on the southern strip of 100 and playing Devo's Snowball there on my after market cassette, LOL.

vdeane

Winnipeg: TCH 100/MB 101 (although the addition of more and more interchanges is creating short freeway segments)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DTComposer

The circa-1960 plan for the Santa Clara Valley included an expressway loop around San Jose. About 21 miles of the 31-mile loop is constructed as expressway (the Montague, San Tomas and Capitol Expressways); the rest is urban arterials (Camden, Hillsdale and Capitol Avenues).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.