News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Routes that almost touch

Started by hotdogPi, March 20, 2014, 07:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

About 20 feet, US 89 and SR 67, Farmington, UT:

Probably about as close as you can get without a single intersection (and thus actually intersecting) or state line fuckery.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

also in the "don't touch now, do touch later" category: I-95 and Florida's Turnpike, which I think is barely closer than the 89/67 example NE2 just posted.  I-295 and the New Jersey Turnpike come pretty damn close as well.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kurumi

Connecticut: closest signed route pair is probably CT 140/286 in Ellington; about 70 feet apart at the town green. The connector road is locally maintained, but is part of the old alignment of 140.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

I-78 and US 22 in Newark, NJ almost touch crossing the Amtrak NE Corridor and NJ 27.  True US 22 and I-78 are companions for much of the interstate's length, still, for almost 40 miles from Newark is when I-78 and US 22 really physically touch for the first time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Almost forgot about IL-129 and IL-53 in Braidwood, Illinois.  Nothing but a railroad track between them.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.270162,-88.204384&spn=0.001163,0.002642&t=h&z=19
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

I suppose this probably shouldn't count, but Roosevelt Way in Point Roberts appears to be less than 10 feet from a couple of streets on the Canadian side.

http://binged.it/1hOv0dp
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JCinSummerfield

I'm thinking of US-23 & OH-47.

TheStranger

The one California example I can think of is Route 18 and Route 247, which miss directly connecting with each other by less than 1/4 mile.

West of Carpinteria, the US 101/Route 1 freeway runs one block south of Route 192 (which never intersects it at any point).

Chris Sampang

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

WNYroadgeek

NY 36 and NY 256, 489 feet: http://goo.gl/maps/b0l03
NY 18 and the Lake Ontario State Parkway, 482 feet: http://goo.gl/maps/8dSmb
NY 79 and NY 89, 328 feet: http://goo.gl/maps/97kzG
NY 89 and NY 318, 446 feet: http://goo.gl/maps/iY4ZS

mcdonaat

LA 1249 to LA 3054 - 800 ft.
LA 490 and 490 Spur, for the longest time, never connected to each other. Might be the only mainline route, and a spur, that you must make a 45-minute trip to connect.

vtk

JC beat me to it:

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on March 21, 2014, 01:56:13 PM
I'm thinking of US-23 & OH-47.
Quote from: NE2 on March 21, 2014, 03:06:01 PM
Not bad - about 25 feet.

It's that close? Wow.

I'm also thinking there might be a similar situation with US 33 and a 3dOH somewhere between Bellefontaine and Marysville.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

formulanone

There's a point in Boca Raton (south of Camino Real) where Dixie Highway and US 1 very nearly meet. Since it's a discontinuous trail that eventually overlaps US 1, it's more of a curiousity.

http://goo.gl/maps/cIJ3b

hbelkins

Only ones that jump immediately to mind for Kentucky are I-64 and KY 59, and I-64 and some four-digit route near Exit 123 in Bath County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bzakharin

I-295 and NJ Turnpike run very close to each other for about 40 miles, almost touching multiple times, though they do of course actually touch at the point of their divergence (and cross each other immediately after). I don't know how to measure the distances, but the closest locations (after the divergence/crossover) are around exit 31 on I-295, just south of exit 34, and south and north of exit 40, all between exits 3 and 5 on the NJ Turnpike and none near exits of the latter. There are no direct interchanges between the two. The closest in this area is exit 36 on 295 which is connected to exit 4 on the Turnpike by NJ 73.

1995hoo

Quote from: bzakharin on March 25, 2014, 10:41:24 AM
I-295 and NJ Turnpike run very close to each other for about 40 miles, almost touching multiple times, though they do of course actually touch at the point of their divergence (and cross each other immediately after). I don't know how to measure the distances, but the closest locations (after the divergence/crossover) are around exit 31 on I-295, just south of exit 34, and south and north of exit 40, all between exits 3 and 5 on the NJ Turnpike and none near exits of the latter. There are no direct interchanges between the two. The closest in this area is exit 36 on 295 which is connected to exit 4 on the Turnpike by NJ 73.

One could also argue they cross each other where I-295 passes over the extension to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, though certainly one could argue that shouldn't count.

bzakharin

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 25, 2014, 10:58:13 AM

One could also argue they cross each other where I-295 passes over the extension to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, though certainly one could argue that shouldn't count.

I don't see how that would count as a crossing. If we were discussing I-295 and I-95, that would be a crossing, but the PA extension is either a separate roadway from the NJ Turnpike or, at best, a very long interchange (exits 6-6A). Either way, unless they build an interchange with I-295 (will never happen), it doesn't count.

roadman65

Either way its several miles between the point of touching and diverge/ crossover.  Just like between US 22 and I-78 further north.

1995's point is proven in this last post.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: bzakharin on March 25, 2014, 11:05:16 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 25, 2014, 10:58:13 AM

I don't see how that would count as a crossing. If we were discussing I-295 and I-95, that would be a crossing, but the PA extension is either a separate roadway from the NJ Turnpike or, at best, a very long interchange (exits 6-6A). Either way, unless they build an interchange with I-295 (will never happen), it doesn't count.

That's why I said "one could argue." It depends on whether you view the Jersey Turnpike extensions (I'll include the Eastern and Western Spurs within that umbrella simply for convenience) as being part of the Turnpike itself, or whether you view only the primary thru route as the Turnpike (which raises the problem of how you view the two spurs for this purpose) and the extensions as being something altogether different.

I don't think there's a compelling reason why either argument "must" be considered right or wrong. I know some of the hypertechnical people might disagree.

NE2

One could argue that Cuccinelli is a good person. One'd be wrong.

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on March 25, 2014, 12:02:25 PM
One could argue that Cuccinelli is a good person. One'd be wrong.

I don't see what that has to do with the argument here nor what prompted you to bring him into this. Have you met him personally?

jeffandnicole

They must almost touch, but not touch at any point. (Crossing over with or without an interchange still counts as touching.)

Since they do touch just north of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I wouldn't count them at all.

The absolutely closest location the asphalt of the two roadways meet, not including where they touch, is here: http://goo.gl/maps/ZtdSN , which is about 2 miles north of Rt. 73.  The distance is about 160 feet or the width of a football field.  The sidelines would be on the shoulders of the roadways.  If you go another mile north, the southbound maintenience yard/police station ramp comes within 75 feet or so of 295. 

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 25, 2014, 12:18:58 PM

Since they do touch just north of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I wouldn't count them at all.

So the Turnpike actually begins right at that interchange, then? I always wondered about it but was never motivated enough to look it up. I was never sure whether it was considered to begin at the site of the old "Exit 1" toll plaza (since removed) or whether it went further down. There used to be one of the ubiquitous "You have left the turnpike, obey local speed laws" signs located just south of that old toll plaza, which was one reason why I was never sure (of course we all know signs themselves are not determinative*).

*I remember when I was a kid a friend of mine insisted adamantly that the state line is located where the welcome sign is. You should have seen the look on his face when I asked, "Then how does it work when the states don't position the welcome signs directly across from each other? Does the state line suddenly change directions to run up the middle of the road?"

NE2

Turnpike maintenance begins at the US 130-NJ 49 overpass (where derba maintenance ends). Thus the Turnpike maintains a bit of southbound I-295 but not northbound (the lane striping confirms).

bzakharin

If the south terminus of the Turnpike were to coincide with the toll plaza (which appears not to be true based on the above, but then again maintenance isn't everything. Doesn't NJTA maintain some of the free I-95 north of the northern terminus?), we have a curious situation of a freeway section with no designation, since US 40 leaves the Turnpike south of the tolls. Are there other places like this? What do people call them? I know in the case of the Turnpike, most people think it goes all the way to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, a notion perpetuated by the ambiguous signs on both the Turnpike and I-295 in Delaware.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.