News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stupid street or road names

Started by 1995hoo, April 30, 2016, 01:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay8g

CobaltYoshi27

I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

mwb1848

Abilene has an interesting take on non-cardinal directions:

https://goo.gl/maps/cQuzxuUJ7sB2

Jardine

The US has a long tradition of lame names on things.

The Great Lakes

The Rocky Mountains

The Great Salt Lake

Geez, Louise, how much brain power did it take to come up with those ?

CNGL-Leudimin

That's quite lame. They could have come up with better names, not just those plain descriptive names.
Quote from: SignGeek101 on May 01, 2016, 04:49:42 PM
You wouldn't want to fly to Toronto then.

Not if I fly into YTZ :sombrero:. The offending airport is YYZ.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bzakharin

Quote from: dgolub on May 01, 2016, 09:58:26 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 30, 2016, 01:01:37 PM
I think Avenue Road in Toronto is a pretty stupid name, too. (I suppose Google Maps, assuming it's accurate, at least clarifies the old question of whether it's a road named "Avenue" or an avenue named "Road.")

There's also Street Road (PA 132) down near Philadelphia.
My understanding is that "street" here means straight in some language (maybe even Old English). Wikipedia asserts that it was named Street Road because it follows the alignment of Marlborough Street, but I don't see this being stated in the source they are using

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 01, 2016, 10:38:55 AM
A lot of road names in NJ are simply the names of the towns or areas they connect with. Swedesboro-Paulsboro Road, Berlin-Cross Keys Road, Woodbury-Glassboro Road, etc.
What's wrong with that? I find this naming scheme quite useful. Except when part of the road is superceded or renamed. Middlesex-Essex Turnpike is a tiny segment of road in Woodbridge, NJ a few blocks long, a remnant of a roadway running from New Brunswick to Newark, along or close to today's NJ 27 corridor (Middlesex and Essex are counties in this case).

roadman65

Quote from: Jardine on May 03, 2016, 01:14:55 PM

The Great Lakes

The Rocky Mountains

The Great Salt Lake

Arthur Kill for the name of a waterway, or better yet Kill Van Kull both of which separate Staten Island from New Jersey.

Of course Kill is some translation of a foreign language for water, not exactly stupid, but being you brought up this.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

The Great Lakes

The Rocky Mountains

The Great Salt Lake

Given your username, I'm wondering why you didn't say "Geez, Rhonda."  :biggrin:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

paulthemapguy

Half Day Road always kinda gave me an aneurysm.  Naming a road after a 12-hour period?  It doesn't take 12 hours to traverse the road...There's a road around Buffalo Grove, IL called Aptakisic Rd.  Good luck pronouncing that.
Naperville, IL has a Book Road.  Always thought that was dumb.

And now, something that REALLY bothers me.  There's a subdivision also in Naperville whose street names all start with "Royal."  Every street is "Royal ____ Drive."  As if that isn't pompous.  That should be all you need to know about Naperville, which I refer to as "noperville"...land of luxury cars, spray tans, and negligent money-grubbing parents who spoil their kids so hard that it's now become a heroin hub. 
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Kacie Jane

Quote from: bzakharin on May 03, 2016, 01:34:54 PM
A lot of road names in NJ are simply the names of the towns or areas they connect with. Swedesboro-Paulsboro Road, Berlin-Cross Keys Road, Woodbury-Glassboro Road, etc.
What's wrong with that? I find this naming scheme quite useful. Except when part of the road is superceded or renamed. Middlesex-Essex Turnpike is a tiny segment of road in Woodbridge, NJ a few blocks long, a remnant of a roadway running from New Brunswick to Newark, along or close to today's NJ 27 corridor (Middlesex and Essex are counties in this case).

Seems to me they confused "stupid" with "uncreative", though I suppose it's a matter of opinion.

Examples of such from King County, Washington:
Kent-Kangley Road
Kent-Des Moines Road
Kent-Black Diamond Road
Auburn-Black Diamond Road
Maple Valley-Black Diamond Road
Issaquah-Hobart Road
Redmond-Fall City Road
Preston-Fall City Road
Snoqualmie-Fall City Road
Woodinville-Duvall Road
Woodinville-Snohomish Road

And that's just off the top of my head.

roadman65

Gettysburg, PA has its roads out of town named for the cities they all go to.  So that is not so stupid, for NJ to have them.

If you want to get to be stupid in naming a road then all the names of famous people we hate that roads somehow got into the mix.  There is one road here in my area that is named for someone I cannot stand, so IMO it is a stupid name to come up with for a roadway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

The Great Lakes

The Rocky Mountains

The Great Salt Lake

The White House
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dgolub

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2016, 07:46:35 PM
Arthur Kill for the name of a waterway, or better yet Kill Van Kull both of which separate Staten Island from New Jersey.

Of course Kill is some translation of a foreign language for water, not exactly stupid, but being you brought up this.

Upstate New York has a ton of these: Peekskill, Catskill, Fishkill, Plattekill, etc.

dgolub

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 04, 2016, 12:35:43 AM

Quote from: bzakharin on May 03, 2016, 01:34:54 PM

Seems to me they confused "stupid" with "uncreative", though I suppose it's a matter of opinion.

Examples of such from King County, Washington:
Kent-Kangley Road
Kent-Des Moines Road
Kent-Black Diamond Road
Auburn-Black Diamond Road
Maple Valley-Black Diamond Road
Issaquah-Hobart Road
Redmond-Fall City Road
Preston-Fall City Road
Snoqualmie-Fall City Road
Woodinville-Duvall Road
Woodinville-Snohomish Road

And that's just off the top of my head.

Long Island also had a ton of these, especially involving Patchogue and Riverhead:

* Patchogue-Holbrook Road (CR 19)
* Patchogue-Yaphank Road (CR 101)
* Patchogue-Mount Sinai Road (CR 83)
* Riverhead-Hampton Bays Road (NY 24)
* East Moriches-Riverhead Road (CR 51)
* Quogue-Riverhead Road (CR 104)
* Speonk-Riverhead Road
* Moriches-Middle Island Road

Upstate, there's also Troy-Schenectady Road (NY 7).

Rothman

Quote from: dgolub on May 04, 2016, 09:16:22 AM

Upstate New York has a ton of these: Peekskill, Catskill, Fishkill, Plattekill, etc.

My kids loved to say "Krumkill" when they were much younger.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

paulthemapguy

It's a translation from Dutch I believe.  Which makes sense if you know that New York used to be named New Netherland

Also, roads in towns named after the other town the road connects to is extremely common...and it's rather logical and not stupid... :confused:

CNGL-Leudimin

Yup. In this part of the world normal people call roads that way, after where they go. Only roadgeeks call them by number.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vdeane

Fishkill
A town PETA once lobbied to rename...

Quote from: dgolub on May 04, 2016, 09:20:25 AM
Long Island also had a ton of these, especially involving Patchogue and Riverhead:

* Speonk-Riverhead Road

They're everywhere upstate.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

steviep24

Quote from: vdeane on May 04, 2016, 05:34:15 PM
Fishkill

Quote from: dgolub on May 04, 2016, 09:20:25 AM

* Speonk-Riverhead Road

They're everywhere upstate.
Even more fun are the town line and county line roads we have. Like Brighton-Henrietta Town Line Rd. and Monroe-Wayne County Line Rd.

silverback1065

if the road goes to an office park or mall, chances are it has a stupid name.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: vdeane on May 04, 2016, 05:34:15 PM
Fishkill
:-D  :-D  :-D

And there are various designations for roads along county lines, but you'll always hear locals call it "County Line Road" if it mentions anything about counties or county names.  People don't want to overcomplicate things, nor should they.

Shown:  Will-Kankakee County Line Road
People say:  County Line Road.

Shown:  Will Road (along Grundy County line)
People say:  County Line Road.

If the names are decently short, you'll see names like "Lake-Cook Road" or "Will-Cook Road" (the latter of which sounds like a bizarre proposition... :)).  But otherwise, you'll usually find the road officially named "County Line Road," and you're more likely to hear people call it that even if there's extra detail garbage added to the posted name.  That's around here though.

bzakharin

PA has at least Bushkill and Raymondskill

steviep24

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 04, 2016, 08:05:36 PM
if the road goes to an office park or mall, chances are it has a stupid name.
There's one mall in my area that named it's service road Miracle Mile Dr.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.