News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

This is what can change in ten years in my hometown

Started by ftballfan, May 31, 2011, 09:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftballfan

I am from Manistee, Michigan, and attended the public schools in that community. They have changed in some way most years since 2001-02.

2001-02 and 2002-03
Elementary Schools
Jefferson (1-4)
Kennedy (5-6)
Madison (1-4)
Washington (K)

Middle School (7-8) — building closed at end of 2002-03 school year, middle school moved into the old high school building, which was vacated when the high school moved into its new building in 2003

High School (9-12) — moved to new building during 2002-03 school year

2003-04
Elementary Schools
Jefferson (1-4)
Kennedy (5-6)
Madison (1-4)
Washington (K) — closed at end of school year

Middle School (7-8) — moved into old high school building

High School (9-12)

2004-05
Elementary Schools
Jefferson (K-4)
Kennedy (4-6)
Madison (K-3)

Middle School (7-8)

High School (9-12)

2005-06 to 2010-11
Elementary Schools
Jefferson (K-3)
Kennedy (4-5)
Madison (K-3)

Middle School (6-8)

High School (9-12)

2011-12 and beyond
Jefferson (K-2)
Current Middle School (name TBA) (3-6)
Middle/High School (7-12)

To summarize it up, every school has changed location and/or grade levels served at least once (Jefferson is the only one of the schools that hasn't changed location). In the mid-to-late 1990s, Jefferson only had 1st and 2nd grades and Madison only had 3rd and 4th grades. Washington had at least a couple first grade classrooms when I attended kindergarten there in 1997-98.

As for the high school, it has changed quite a bit since I graduated and that was just last year. For this past school year, the school switched back to semesters (after five years of trimesters, meaning that I was one of two classes to have trimesters... for all four years of high school), moved the assistant principal to a grade school as a principal, moved the middle school assistant principal to the high school, and went "paperless". For this upcoming school year, they are moving seventh and eighth graders up to the high school as a result of closing two of three elementary schools (I am not sure if the HS building can hold ~750 students) and converting the current middle school, which was the high school until 2003, into an upper elementary school, leaving the remaining elementary school (Jefferson) as the lower elementary school.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.