News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Highway Talk / Re: Lowest-Numbered Exit You H...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 05:21:45 PM
I'm going to put 13 for now. There are a couple of solid options for Exit 13s I might have taken, (State Avenue off I-435 in Kansas City, KS and Decatur Boulevard off CC-215), but I can't say with confidence whether I have or have not taken them.

NumberHighwayState
1I-235OK
2I-235OK
3I-240OK
4I-240OK
5I-240OK
6I-435KS
7I-40OK
8I-435KS
9I-635MO
10I-215NV
11I-215NV
12I-215NV
13?
14I-11NV
15CC-215NV
16CC-215NV
17I-11NV
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Indiana Notes
Last post by cjw2001 - Today at 05:08:05 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on Today at 02:11:40 PM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on Today at 10:25:58 AMThe I-465 closure on the southeast side is completely stupid. I drove the entire route in the opposite direction, and only saw ONE area being worked on - just past Emerson Avenue just before I-65. Complete waste of INDOT's time. Most of the lanes are fine, just do some nighttime lane closures and you'll be fine.

it's a yearly tradition!  :-D  in all seriousness I expect a ton of workers out starting Monday. it just started and its rained a lot. it's already making the downtown interstates permanently backed up.
They've already been working on the north end of this today with some large concrete sections completely removed at the 42.7 mile marker.
General Highway Talk / Re: Lowest-Numbered Exit You H...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 05:02:10 PM
:>

hotdogPi said he was on an old exit 44, though, so...whatever.  He said 44, I put 44.  Waiting for WillWeaver's update, too.

RoadgeekExit
JayhawkCO314
formulanone198
74/171FAN112
Jim65
hotdogPi44
epzik837
jlam7
WillWeaverRVA3
Hunty20222
Gary V0
dlsterner0
Traffic Control / Re: Duplicate Controls Not All...
Last post by ilpt4u - Today at 04:30:15 PM
Quote from: mrsman on June 01, 2024, 11:44:23 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on May 30, 2024, 09:13:42 AMI would also argue that if the control has a second control with it, like the West Memphis example upthread, it's perfectly fine because you are still distinguishing between they highways.
We have a perfect example here in Chicagoland on I-90.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0597926,-88.0477017,3a,75y,94.9h,95.49t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGT4Gtc-23EowoQAUMwULSQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DGT4Gtc-23EowoQAUMwULSQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.share%26w%3D900%26h%3D600%26yaw%3D94.90047966303493%26pitch%3D-5.494987672854862%26thumbfov%3D90!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205410&entry=ttu
I've got no problem with this.  Both roadways lead to Chicago Loop (via Kennedy or via Eisenhower).  I'm not been a fan of the "West Suburbs" and would prefer listing something more specific like Joliet.
Joliet would work if accepting the N/S 355/53 corridor as the "main"/through route, even tho it is signed as 290 here. IDOT has precedent for that, signing Aurora for 290 WB/OB Downtown, seeing the 290/88 corridor as the "main"/through route

That said, if a specific suburb actually on/near 290 were to be utilized, I'd say one of: Oak Brook, Elmhurst, Hillside/area near the 88/290/294 interchange
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 04:25:47 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 03:45:01 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 02:17:32 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 01:40:21 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on Today at 07:30:10 AM"Did you check your eggs?"

Most people don't mind this, but I find it rude that this is asked of me when I shop at the local supermarket here in town. As if they're lazy and don't want to keep a high quality.

In my experience, the cashier will often check the eggs themselves before scanning them. Seems like less effort than asking the customer, anyway.

That practice is horrifically inconsistent depending on location, even within the same chain.

I have never seen a cashier check the eggs that I can recall. At Wegmans some cashiers will rubber-band the egg cartons closed, but that's about it.

I don't lift up each egg like vdeane describes, but I do "wobble" the eggs in the carton, for lack of a better way of describing it—I kind of move each egg back and forth and if one sticks, I presume it's broken and I select a different carton.

I've had cashiers check the eggs, but it has been in a definite minority of supermarkets that I've shopped in.
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 03:45:01 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 02:17:32 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 01:40:21 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on Today at 07:30:10 AM"Did you check your eggs?"

Most people don't mind this, but I find it rude that this is asked of me when I shop at the local supermarket here in town. As if they're lazy and don't want to keep a high quality.

In my experience, the cashier will often check the eggs themselves before scanning them. Seems like less effort than asking the customer, anyway.

That practice is horrifically inconsistent depending on location, even within the same chain.

I have never seen a cashier check the eggs that I can recall. At Wegmans some cashiers will rubber-band the egg cartons closed, but that's about it.

I don't lift up each egg like vdeane describes, but I do "wobble" the eggs in the carton, for lack of a better way of describing it—I kind of move each egg back and forth and if one sticks, I presume it's broken and I select a different carton.
Traffic Control / Re: Erroneous road signs
Last post by xonhulu - Today at 03:39:40 PM
Quote from: Amaury on June 01, 2024, 05:00:28 PMI'm sure there's a reason for the safety of the public that it won't reopen until 2026.

I just looked up WSDOT's webpage on the project, and here's what it has to say:

"WSDOT estimates that permanent access will not be restored for public or administrative use at least until the latter part of 2026. Unfortunately, this means access will not be restored to the upper stretch and terminus of SR 504 until the full roadway repair is completed. We know that is deeply disappointing to many in the community. This 2026 estimate is based on necessary phases of any WSDOT project (planning, roadway and bridge design, environmental assessment and permitting, bid and contracting processes and material procurement) and the reality that this location of upper SR 504 isn't accessible for approximately six months of any given year due to high elevations and harsh winter weather."
Last post by vdeane - Today at 03:28:14 PM
I always check my eggs.  In fact, not only do I open the carton and glance at them, I pick up each and every egg to check the underside.  I've had too many times where I bought eggs, glanced at them, and only found out when I go to make breakfast that an egg is stuck to the carton because a crack on the underside was allowed to leak until they fused.

Heck, sometimes so many cartons have at least one cracked egg that I'll grab two and swap cracked eggs for good ones!
General Highway Talk / Re: AASHTO Spring 2024 Meeting...
Last post by vdeane - Today at 03:07:54 PM
Quote from: english si on Today at 08:14:04 AMI'm pretty sure AR/OK had pencilled in the 42 number for the 412 corridor before AASHTO dumped it on NC in what was a very strange meeting.
And?  NC already got I-42.  There is no need to duplicate an interstate when there are plenty of other numbers available.  Sure, the "drop the 1" gimmick might have been fun, but as they say, you snooze, you lose.  If they wanted to do such that bad, they should have requested it as soon as they came up with the idea.

Quote from: english si on Today at 08:14:04 AMIndeed, including I-42 in NC (the state had submitted I-36 - and gave reasons in the submission why I-42 was not preferred), and I-87 (state had chosen I-56 if E-W, or I-89 if N-S, talked informally with AASHTO before submission and found they wanted to give this E-W highway a N-S number, so submitted I-89).

That same meeting that approved (having changed the numbers of) those interstates rejected I-14 as the number was unacceptable, despite it being written into law - I'd argue that that Spring '16 meeting (and the build up where I-56 was rejected as a N-S number was sought by AASHTO) is where the oddness happened, not this one!
I-42 makes more sense from a national perspective than I-36 because it's north of I-40.  I-46 would work fine for US 412.  The Southway certainly should be I-56, though.  It's an east-west corridor by both looking at a compass and by the "north-south is parallel to the coast" convention used down there.  It's perpendicular to I-95 and we all know the real purpose of this road is to connect Elizabeth City to the interstate system, not to connect Raleigh and Norfolk/Virginia Beach.

Quote from: english si on Today at 08:14:04 AMThey didn't tell them to pick another number 6 months ago, at least not according to the minutes!

The application was withdrawn, but was still 'Approved with Condition', which is what they gave it this time.
I remember reading here that Oklahoma and Arkansas had agreed to withdraw their applications and resubmit with a different number, so I read the withdrawal/renumber as one of the conditions; if they were just going to keep this I-42 duplication nonsense anyways, why do that?  Why not just have those applications stand?

This is SO frustrating.  What is even the point of having AASHTO if they just rubber-stamp everything?  While the interstate system has always had anomalies, those used to be the exception and small in number.  Now, such instances have at least doubled in the last decade alone.  Between all this and the push towards freeway removals, I feel like the interstate system I read about in my youth and practically worshiped is dead.  It used to be an elegantly ordered spider-web of infrastructure covering the country and connecting most places of importance (granted, with a few gaps like NY 17 and east-west across New England, but most places).  Now I feel like it's becoming difficult to recognize. :-(
Last post by J N Winkler - Today at 02:40:58 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 02:34:13 PMI think the Crest in Norman did it as a matter of policy, but I don't buy eggs very often, so I could be wrong. In any case, I check the eggs myself, so it doesn't really matter whether the cashier does or not.

Ditto.  I suspect that once the eggs go into the chiller, the main hazard is other customers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.