Cities with least developed freeway networks

Started by Urban Prairie Schooner, January 22, 2009, 11:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoking111

A few cities that need more freeways are Tucson, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and Calgary.

Voyager

Doesn't Winnipeg have no freeways at all?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

yacoded

I am surprised no one mentioned anything about Hartford or even Connecticut in general traveling East - West on any major road is a hassle because we object to rolling our roads unlike our neighbours which means that everyone in the general area likes to use our roads.
Why can't we just connect everything and everbody

wandering drive

Quote from: Master son on February 23, 2009, 02:43:51 PM
I'm sure there are a select few who want to see the Madison (WI) Beltline completed to encircle the city.  It also needs an upgrade to Interstate standards too.
Count me in, sort of.  Sun Prairie to the northeast of Madison has quite a drive to get to Middleton on the west side; either you go 10 miles south to the Beltline, or keep north of the lakes by taking WI-19 and a hodgepodge of 3-digit state routes and county roads.  The only problem is most of the country north of the lakes (i.e., Waunakee) is underdeveloped and isolated from the rest of the city, expressway or not.
I personally like how Madison will never be able to get a freeway anywhere near its downtown, which is situated on a narrow isthmus between two lakes with The Capital building sitting smack in the middle of it.  It keeps the sprawl under control and keeps the downtown area free of imposing skyscrapers.

DrZoidberg

QuoteI'm sure there are a select few who want to see the Madison (WI) Beltline completed to encircle the city.  It also needs an upgrade to Interstate standards too

Are there any at-grade crossings left on the beltline?  As I recall when I went to UW (circa 2000) it was pretty much freeway from 90/39 to where 14 breaks away to the west, but I could be wrong.  (There were some hazy nights in Madison!  :-P)
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

un1

Quote from: voyager on February 23, 2009, 07:41:31 PM
Doesn't Winnipeg have no freeways at all?

A few sections of the outer bypass is a freeway, but not much of it.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

corco

Spokane's getting better with the new US-395 bypass corridor under construction, but right now it takes forever to get from I-90 up to Wandermere on Division St (US-2/395)

SSOWorld

there are still driveways on a ramp, but the RR Crossing was pulled completely a couple years ago - the ramps are still something to be careful of - cloverleafs with very little braking/accelerating room.  These ramps will be redone to diamonds in a year or two anyway.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ComputerGuy

Spokane is slowly getting better...we need a north-south interstate though

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.