News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

States that want to call highway-related terms differently

Started by Big John, November 01, 2023, 10:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: roadman65 on December 25, 2023, 07:31:15 AM
California and the use of " the" for freeway names and calling interstates " Freeway x" more so than " Ix." However I will let Max weigh in on that last one aforementioned.

The "the" in California is not really an official usage, and is more of a colloquium used in Southern California to refer to freeway route numbers (not names).

You don't really see, at least in my experience, "Freeway #" written on signs. Sometimes you see "# Freeway" (where the '#' ca be a shield or a text number) on interchange sequence signs, but that seems to be disappearing more and more on new and replacement signage.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Big John

CoreySamson

Quote from: Road Hog on December 25, 2023, 05:16:22 AM
In Arkansas if you said you were going to the DMV, you'd get looked at funny. You get your driver's license and plates at the Revenue Office.
In Texas, the DMV is known as the DPS (Department of Public Safety).

While most of Texas (and the rest of the US) calls the little roads beside freeways "frontage roads", Houston calls them "feeder roads" or "feeders".
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

chrisdiaz

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 30, 2023, 10:19:34 PM
While most of Texas (and the rest of the US) calls the little roads beside freeways "frontage roads", Houston calls them "feeder roads" or "feeders".
In New York, at least on Long Island, they were known as Service Roads.

Big John

Quote from: chrisdiaz on December 30, 2023, 11:10:48 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on December 30, 2023, 10:19:34 PM
In New York, at least on Long Island, they were known as Service Roads.
Seen that term used in Mobile AL.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.