News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

White-On-Black Signage:

Started by thenetwork, March 06, 2010, 11:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

When I saw the thread title, I thought about the "NIGHT 65" speed limit signs I've seen pictures of in Texas. Not sure if any of them are still there or not.

Road Hog

Quote from: KCRoadFan on January 23, 2022, 02:15:42 AM
When I saw the thread title, I thought about the "NIGHT 65" speed limit signs I've seen pictures of in Texas. Not sure if any of them are still there or not.
Those all went away when the state raised the speed limit from 70 to 75 mph. I doubt there are any left in the wild.

thenetwork

Quote from: Road Hog on January 23, 2022, 01:23:07 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on January 23, 2022, 02:15:42 AM
Those all went away when the state raised the speed limit from 70 to 75 mph. I doubt there are any left in the wild.

I don't even think Colorado has the white on black Night Speed signs anymore.  There was a stretch along US-550 south of Montrose and CO-13 north of Rifle, but those were removed 7-10 years ago. Any remaining would be eastbof the Divide.

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on March 06, 2010, 07:59:02 PM
I vaguely remember those along I-44 in Missouri, back when it was still mostly US 66 (mid-late 60's).
I mentioned on another thread black background signs that Missouri still had in place in the 1980s. I was told they were such a dark shade of green that it looked black.

thenetwork

Quote from: Road Hog on January 23, 2022, 10:57:45 PM
I vaguely remember those along I-44 in Missouri, back when it was still mostly US 66 (mid-late 60's).
I mentioned on another thread black background signs that Missouri still had in place in the 1980s. I was told they were such a dark shade of green that it looked black.

Michigan had several white-on-not-quite-black ground mounted signs until the 1980s as well.  Most were signs noting upcoming intersections and Michigan Left diagrams -- those were replaced by white on green signs.

They also had a unique Left or Right Turn Lane sign that was replaced by the standard black on white Left/Right Lane Must Turn Left/Right signs.

Big John

^^ I believe Canada uses white on black overhead turn lane signs.

US71

Found this in Poplar Bluff a few years back.

I thought I had more photos, but can't find them.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US 89

Idaho uses them for weigh station-related signage:

kennyshark64

I definitely remember white-on-black on the freeways in the St. Louis area on a trip there in the summer of 1972.  (I was just becoming a road geek at that time.)  It could have been what is now I-44--we were in the Webster Groves area.

HighwayStar

Montana still uses them for night speed limits in at least some locations.

Personally I think they are excellent for denoting night speed limits and should be used more widely.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on January 26, 2022, 11:31:40 AM

I thought I had more photos, but can't find them.

That arrow looks like it's in button copy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

FrCorySticha

Quote from: HighwayStar on January 26, 2022, 01:09:16 PM

Personally I think they are excellent for denoting night speed limits and should be used more widely.

It's more than "some locations". It's the 2 lane highways where the speed limit is 70 during the day. Any highway with a speed limit of 65 or under, as well as Interstate highways, don't have night speed limits.

HighwayStar

Quote from: FrCorySticha on January 26, 2022, 08:18:43 PM

It's more than "some locations". It's the 2 lane highways where the speed limit is 70 during the day. Any highway with a speed limit of 65 or under, as well as Interstate highways, don't have night speed limits.

No, that is not quite right as I have been by at least one where it was 60/55 day/night.

FrCorySticha

Quote from: HighwayStar on January 27, 2022, 10:28:32 AM

No, that is not quite right as I have been by at least one where it was 60/55 day/night.

When was that? The rules regarding night speed limits have changed several times since the reimplementation of rural speed limits in Montana. I remember seeing those as well, but that was quite a few years ago and the same time that the Interstates had night speed limits as well.

HighwayStar

Quote from: FrCorySticha on January 27, 2022, 11:17:58 AM
Quote from: HighwayStar on January 27, 2022, 10:28:32 AM

When was that? The rules regarding night speed limits have changed several times since the reimplementation of rural speed limits in Montana. I remember seeing those as well, but that was quite a few years ago and the same time that the Interstates had night speed limits as well.

Few weeks ago

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2010, 10:46:25 PM
Virginia uses white on black for a lot of its regulatory signs, especially the "Radar Detectors Prohibited" signage at state lines.

Virginia also used to have white-on-black guide signs over the I-395 reversible carriageway, presumably to distinguish them from the signs over the general-purpose lanes, but I cannot find any pictures of those. The only picture I have that's related to those is this old one of a regulatory sign on northbound I-395 approaching the express lanes' entrance at Turkeycock, but unfortunately because it's a black-and-white picture you have to take my word for it that the sign was black. I like the neat little divider below the word "Buses," and I find the use of "Pool Cars" to be interesting terminology because I assume some bureaucrat decided on that term before "carpools" because the norm. (Sort of reminds me of when the Supreme Court released an opinion in the early 1980s discussing what the Court called "VTRs"–"Video Tape Recorders," which of course became more popularly known as VCRs.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cwf1701

Quote from: thenetwork on January 24, 2022, 08:30:56 AM

Michigan had several white-on-not-quite-black ground mounted signs until the 1980s as well.  Most were signs noting upcoming intersections and Michigan Left diagrams -- those were replaced by white on green signs.

They also had a unique Left or Right Turn Lane sign that was replaced by the standard black on white Left/Right Lane Must Turn Left/Right signs.

To add, I remeber Michigan changing to the green signs showing Michigan Left about the time US-25 (Gratiot) was renumbered M-3.

roadfro

Quote from: US71 on January 26, 2022, 11:31:40 AM

I think it could be a good idea for US lane assignment signs to switch to this scheme.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.