News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Underrated Routes

Started by JoePCool14, October 07, 2022, 12:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

US 35 from Dayton OH to I-64. Drove from Chicago to NC using that and the WV turnpike. Excellent drive.

roadman65

US 301 from DE 1 to US 50 along with US 50 to I-95.  That is a good way to bypass Baltimore from the north as no toll WB on the William Preston Lane Jr. ( aka The Bay Bridge), coming down the Seaboard. Too bad Delaware doesn't offer a free alternate to their toll, as if they connected Old US 301 to the mainline at the DE-MD state line, putting up with local traffic in Middletown would still be viable if you don't want to shell out 4 bucks.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JoePCool14

Quote from: fillup420 on October 13, 2022, 10:00:15 PM
US 35 from Dayton OH to I-64. Drove from Chicago to NC using that and the WV turnpike. Excellent drive.

Sounds like a good one to keep in mind if I ever travel to the east coast again. I'd love to try some other routes that aren't I-65 and I-64.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

fillup420

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 14, 2022, 10:17:41 AM

Sounds like a good one to keep in mind if I ever travel to the east coast again. I'd love to try some other routes that aren't I-65 and I-64.

From I-75 in Dayton to the WV line its mostly a 70mph freeway. Once in WV its a 60mph expressway with good grading. I was pleasantly surprised, since i was anticipating at least some two-lane segments and stoplights

roadman65

Quote from: fillup420 on October 16, 2022, 03:31:23 PM

From I-75 in Dayton to the WV line its mostly a 70mph freeway. Once in WV its a 60mph expressway with good grading. I was pleasantly surprised, since i was anticipating at least some two-lane segments and stoplights
This would make a great candidate for an interstate.  Too bad it's too far south to continue I-68 westward into OH as many hope on here. :sombrero:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

fillup420

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2022, 03:34:29 PM
Quote from: fillup420 on October 16, 2022, 03:31:23 PM

This would make a great candidate for an interstate.  Too bad it's too far south to continue I-68 westward into OH as many hope on here. :sombrero:

I-74 would make sense... despite how i feel about that number, it would work. If it uses I-465 around Indy, then overlaps I-70 to Dayton. then it follows US 35 to I-64 in WV. Follow I-64/I-77 all the way to the current I-77/I-74 split in northern NC

CoreySamson

What about underrated sections of interstate?

I-40 between Henryetta and Little Rock is a really nice section of interstate. Generally really nice pavement quality, mostly 75 mph speed limits, scenic hills nearly the entire way, and not too much truck traffic (as opposed to I-40 east of Little Rock).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

zzcarp

For my underrated interstate, I'd suggest I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix. You start above 7,000 feet with pine trees and descend to just above 1,000 feet with cacti. In between are mesas and canyons, plus a neat countdown of each 1,000 feet of elevation change.

So many miles and so many roads

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: zzcarp on December 09, 2022, 01:53:20 PM
For my underrated interstate, I'd suggest I-17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix. You start above 7,000 feet with pine trees and descend to just above 1,000 feet with cacti. In between are mesas and canyons, plus a neat countdown of each 1,000 feet of elevation change.

Most people are too busy complaining about it not being a 3d or the weird mile markers to notice how scenic it is.  How or why more road sites don't feature I-17 bewilders me.

Dirt Roads

I did it the other way around, starting in Phoenix and heading for Flagstaff.  Quite impressive for my first look at Arizona.

skluth

Underrated means different things to different people. I'll add these four lane highways as they are both pretty and relaxing to drive. (Not including popular scenic four lane highways like I-70 through Glenwood Canyon and I-86 in NY.) I haven't been on many of these in over a decade and sometimes a few decades so things may have changed. But I do remember these highways as very relaxing and I rarely see them shown as scenic drives though I feel they are. For those looking for challenging, this is not your list.

Cumberland Parkway
I-70 west of Green River to I-15
I-80 in Pennsylvania
I-90 between Buffalo and Connaught
I-196 between Saugatuck and I-94
OH 32 east of Williamsburg
US 17 between Port Royal and Yorktown
US 58 between South Hill and Stuart
US 67 between Fredericktown and Poplar Bluff
US 98/MS 63 from Hattiesburg to Moss Point
US 151 between Verona and Dubuque
US 460 between Roanoke and Petersburg
WI 29 between Elk Mound and Green Bay

kirbykart

^Who on earth is saying Route 17 is scenic???

For I-90, I can only comment on Exit 57A to Buffalo, which is not scenic at all. Do you get lake views down by Westfield?

Also, it's Conneaut, not Connaught. And I-90 doesn't go through it. Unless you mean like Cherry Hill (north of Conneaut), but the area around Erie is almost always busy and entirely tree-lined, apart from occasional views of arterials and fast-food restaurants. I can't imagine that is relaxing or scenic.

fillup420

I love the idea of signing elevation changes. I wish more highways featured such signs. There are definitely a few US and state routes in the east that would be worthy of it.

skluth

Quote from: kirbykart on December 10, 2022, 12:38:40 PM

For I-90, I can only comment on Exit 57A to Buffalo, which is not scenic at all. Do you get lake views down by Westfield?

Also, it's Conneaut, not Connaught. And I-90 doesn't go through it. Unless you mean like Cherry Hill (north of Conneaut), but the area around Erie is almost always busy and entirely tree-lined, apart from occasional views of arterials and fast-food restaurants. I can't imagine that is relaxing or scenic.

This article thinks I-86 is scenic, for one. (First return using a Google Search of "i-86 scenic.") I found it quite scenic. I only drove it once, in 1994 on my way back from Massachusetts to the Midwest, but I thought it was a lovely drive. You do not. I also thought I-88 from Schenectady to Binghamton through the Catskills was scenic, but I figured that would probably make a few scenic drive lists.

Sorry for misspelling Conneaut but my I was spelling from memory and what I wrote wasn't flagged by my spell checker so I figured that was right. I-90 doesn't enter Buffalo either, but you knew what I meant; that's just pedantic.

webny99

Quote from: skluth on December 10, 2022, 01:58:26 PM

This article thinks I-86 is scenic, for one. (First return using a Google Search of "i-86 scenic.") I found it quite scenic. I only drove it once, in 1994 on my way back from Massachusetts to the Midwest, but I thought it was a lovely drive. You do not. I also thought I-88 from Schenectady to Binghamton through the Catskills was scenic, but I figured that would probably make a few scenic drive lists.

I fully agree that NY 17/I-86 would qualify as scenic under most definitions. It's not breathtaking like anything through the Rockies or anything, but I think it's one of the more scenic interstates east of the Mississippi -- probably more scenic than any interstate in a dozen or more states -- and it's even better in the fall when foliage peaks. The better question would probably be, who doesn't think it's scenic, because that's a very high standard of scenic.

So, two things here. I would say the Thruway from Buffalo to the PA line qualifies as a "pretty and relaxing drive", which was the context of the OP . It's not exactly "scenic", but certainly more interesting than Buffalo-Syracuse, with less traffic, some hills off to the south, and generally a wide median contributing to a rural, remote feel. However, this does not apply to I-90 through PA, which is a flat, mostly boring and generic interstate with the terrible 55 mph section through the Erie area.

As for lake views, I am not aware of any on I-90 in NY. However, there are a few spots in PA near the NY line, such as here and at the PA Welcome Center westbound.

74/171FAN

US 220 in PA is very scenic whether is it around I-99 or not.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

VA 6. Once you get out of the Richmond sprawl it's just as scenic as VA 5 on the other side of the city, especially as it goes into the mountains. The climb up Afton Mountain is fun too. It doesn't get talked about as much as the mountainous stretch of VA 151 to the south.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Quote from: fillup420 on December 10, 2022, 01:15:14 PM

I love the idea of signing elevation changes. I wish more highways featured such signs. There are definitely a few US and state routes in the east that would be worthy of it.

This is a feature that I-40 in Arizona has too, except since it kind of goes up and down it's kind of hard to remember whether you're seeing "Elevation 5000" because you just came down from 6000 or up from 4000.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

I can get behind I-17 being a scenic route. I prefer starting in Phoenix and working your way out to Flagstaff though.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Quote from: skluth on December 10, 2022, 12:26:24 PM
Cumberland Parkway

It's relaxing because there's little traffic on it. To me, it's 88 miles of boredom, and it seems to take forever to get from Somerset to I-65.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.