News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Something of a particular state’s highways your sad to see go

Started by roadman65, October 11, 2022, 08:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: texaskdog on October 13, 2022, 04:18:28 PM
I don't like taking the state names off interstate signs.

Especially the ones with long state names like "WEST VIRGINIA", "NORTH CAROLINA", and even better is the one that is not a state "DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA".  (Sorry, didn't mean to snub South Carolina, but I just happen to be connected to the other three).

XamotCGC

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2022, 09:41:26 AM
Quote from: XamotCGC on October 13, 2022, 03:49:55 AM

The Old BG Sign^

All the old parkway signs.

I wonder there may be an effort upcoming to change the parkway signs again. State government is moving away from the "Unbridled Spirit" branding in favor of "Team Kentucky." I wasn't a fan of "Unbridled Spirit" and was certainly not happy with the decision to change the parkway signage to include that logo, but I dislike "Team Kentucky" infinitely more for a number of reasons.

I disliked it when they attached the governor's names onto the parkways names.  Too wordy for my tastes.   
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Rothman

The Old BG Sign^
Also the old tree shield for the Mountain Parkway.  I still haven't bit the bullet and paid a fabricator to make one for me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: Quillz on October 13, 2022, 08:22:15 AM
On a slightly related note, Florida's colorful US highway shields. They were discontinued around 1993 or so. Each US highway had a different color and it was supposed to be that no routes with a similar color scheme would junction, although this didn't always happen. Arizona also had a similar system a long time ago, around the 1950s or so.

Arizona's colored US highway shields weren't set up that way though. They had four colors, and which one they used was determined by whether you were going north/south/east/west on the US highway in question.

Quillz

Quote from: US 89 on October 14, 2022, 12:04:57 AM
On a slightly related note, Florida's colorful US highway shields. They were discontinued around 1993 or so. Each US highway had a different color and it was supposed to be that no routes with a similar color scheme would junction, although this didn't always happen. Arizona also had a similar system a long time ago, around the 1950s or so.

Arizona's colored US highway shields weren't set up that way though. They had four colors, and which one they used was determined by whether you were going north/south/east/west on the US highway in question.
Yeah, I know how they worked, was an interesting idea to associate color with direction. I just meant the concept of having colored shields in general. Kind of a neat little moment in time. But then the government said they would withhold gas tax funds if non-standard shields were used, so Florida discontinued them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: US 89 on October 14, 2022, 12:04:57 AM

I'd add that I miss the colored Phoenix loop shields. Maybe if they picked a color other than brown, they would last longer. Black, blue, and green would've been fine options.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on October 13, 2022, 11:07:23 PM

The Old BG Sign^
Also the old tree shield for the Mountain Parkway.  I still haven't bit the bullet and paid a fabricator to make one for me.

I saw one on sale on Etsy the other day. Looks like it had actually been posted in the field.

I need to go up to our sign shop and see if they have any old ones still hanging around.

I have a second-generation Daniel Boone Parkway (the round logo in a square blank) sign that has never been posted in the field in my office.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2022, 11:04:51 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 13, 2022, 11:07:23 PM

The Old BG Sign^

I saw one on sale on Etsy the other day. Looks like it had actually been posted in the field.

I need to go up to our sign shop and see if they have any old ones still hanging around.

I have a second-generation Daniel Boone Parkway (the round logo in a square blank) sign that has never been posted in the field in my office.
Heh.  If the sign shop has any, pick one up for me.  I'd come down there to get it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

Kansas used to have "20 MILES" signs for major tourist attractions like Boot Hill in Dodge City--those have been disappearing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

About the only things I can think of that are disappearing from Colorado roads (other than free flowing traffic) are interstate business routes. Don't know if I care too much about those on the era of cell phones.

Ted$8roadFan

thenetwork

●  Virginia's small, old cut-out shields for state and US Routes

●  Black traffic-light backplates without the yellow outlines (starting to be phased out with new signal replacements).

● Ticket-based toll roads, or any toll road with traditional tolling gates/barriers.

MATraveler128

I will miss the center tab exit signs on MA 128 in Peabody/Danvers. With the recent construction there, they are gradually being replaced by overhead signs.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

fillup420

I have always liked North Carolina's black-on-white directional signs along state and US highways. There are still plenty to be found, mostly down east, but i haven't ever seen a new one placed.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: fillup420 on October 16, 2022, 03:38:04 PM
I have always liked North Carolina's black-on-white directional signs along state and US highways. There are still plenty to be found, mostly down east, but i haven't ever seen a new one placed.

This was new when I first moved here:  https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0459884,-79.0228185,3a,15y,41.05h,87.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEAJyVem84tkbAouSvRvqcg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
I like the older wooden versions where the tip is cut into a wedge next to the chevron arrow.

Dirt Roads

West Virginia's "EMERGENCY" routes, posted as permanent detours around chemical plants.  The one's I remember were EMERGENCY US-60 bypassing the Union Carbide plant through downtown South Charleston and EMERGENCY WV-2 bypassing the PPG Chlorine Plant in Natrium.  There may have been others.  I seem to remember seeing another EMERGENCY WV-2 bypassing the Allied Chemical Plant in Moundsville, but I can't find any evidence of any road that could have been located far enough away to make a useful emergency route.  The emergency route around the Charleston Industrial Plant (nitrocellulose "redwop" explosives) in Nitro was already posted as US-35 (later WV-62).

I just looked up to see what "redwop" really means.  Turns out that it was TNT powder, spelled backwards.  It was also one of the names originally considered for the town of Nitro that grew up around the explosives plant.

Quillz

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 16, 2022, 04:12:40 PM
Quote from: fillup420 on October 16, 2022, 03:38:04 PM

This was new when I first moved here:  https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0459884,-79.0228185,3a,15y,41.05h,87.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEAJyVem84tkbAouSvRvqcg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
I like the older wooden versions where the tip is cut into a wedge next to the chevron arrow.
Washington seems to use these, too. But they are white-on-green instead. They also aren't cutouts.

kphoger

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on October 15, 2022, 12:32:10 PM
I miss the old Mass. Pike signs with the pilgrim hat.

For a second, I thought you were advocating use of the Tridentine Rite.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hockeyjohn

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 13, 2022, 04:11:48 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 13, 2022, 11:56:40 AM
Quote from: Quillz on October 13, 2022, 03:24:35 AM
Offhand, I think there are only five states that don't use black-on-white route shields: California, Minnesota, South Dakota, Vermont, South Carolina. Louisiana switched to black-on-white around 2014 or so.

I mean, that is specifically included in MUTCD guidance, after all.

Quote from: Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices – 2009 Edition
Chapter 2D – Guide Signs – Conventional Roads

§ 2D.11 – Design of Route Signs

Guidance:

11 – State Route signs (see Figure 2D-3) should be rectangular and should be approximately the same size as the U.S. Route sign. State Route signs should also be similar to the U.S. Route sign by containing approximately the same size black numerals on a white area surrounded by a rectangular black background without a border. The shape of the white area should be circular in the absence of any determination to the contrary by the individual State concerned.

Hey, by the way...  I see in the MUTCD that if "county road authorities elect to establish and identify a special system of important county roads", then "a statewide policy for such signing shall be established that includes a uniform numbering system to uniquely identify each route".  What implications does this have?  Does this mean that counties can't decide for themselves what numbers to use?  Does this mean that Colorado's hodgepodge of route markers runs in violation of the MUTCD?

Could the statewide policy be to have no policy?  :spin:

Quote from: Henry on October 13, 2022, 10:31:24 AM
Old mercury-vapor and high-pressure sodium lights being replaced with LEDs. The MV/HPS luminaires always had very distinct designs from one another, so you were going to see variety everywhere you went. The LED ones, though, all look the same to me, boring with no style at all.

Forget that, I just miss the orange glow from the lights instead of blinding white. Technically, the white LEDs are safer and provide more visibility, but I'll miss the old ones.

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 12, 2022, 10:54:39 PM
Michigan:  Underlined cardinal directions on BGSs.

On a similar note, MDOT using traditional FHWA fonts.

Agreed on the old Michigan font.   The "14" in the bridge height banner is an example of the normal width font (there was also a narrow version) while the "4" is a FHWA font.   The best chance to see the old font today is on these signs.

dvferyance

Quote from: mgk920 on October 11, 2022, 01:09:34 PM
    Trombone arms in Wisconsin.

Munis can and still do use them.  Appleton just repaved a major street in its downtown area this past summer (Appleton St) and ALL of its signalized intersections got them.   They look really nice. :cool:

Mike
I am glad to see those go. Never understood why they were ever used. Although aside from Milwaukee County Brown County and Eau Clarie County plenty of them are still around.

Scott5114

The specific styling for Oklahoma City numbered streets from button copy signage: "S. E. 15TH St."

"SE 15th St" just isn't the same.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mrose

My childhood hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska has been changing all the horizontal traffic lights to vertical ones over the past 10 years or so. Growing up I was unaware that they were uncommon until I moved elsewhere. It was one of the things I appreciated whenever I'd go back as it was a nice reminder of me being there.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 22, 2022, 09:24:29 PM
The specific styling for Oklahoma City numbered streets from button copy signage: "S. E. 15TH St."

"SE 15th St" just isn't the same.

You want that Arialveticservik (???) sign to come back eh?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: mrose on October 23, 2022, 12:56:12 AM
My childhood hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska has been changing all the horizontal traffic lights to vertical ones over the past 10 years or so. Growing up I was unaware that they were uncommon until I moved elsewhere. It was one of the things I appreciated whenever I'd go back as it was a nice reminder of me being there.

Pretty sure these are still common in Canada IIRC.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

US 89

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on October 27, 2022, 06:39:04 PM
Quote from: mrose on October 23, 2022, 12:56:12 AM

Pretty sure these are still common in Canada IIRC.

I mean, you don't even have to go to Canada for that. Horizontal signals are everywhere in certain parts of the US - New Mexico and parts of Texas and Florida instantly come to mind.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.