Streets that no longer serve their namesakes

Started by US 89, November 15, 2022, 09:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

In Albuquerque, there is a road called Bridge Boulevard. As you might guess, it was named because it featured one of the earliest bridges across the Rio Grande, and it carried US 85 and US 66 at various points in its history.

However, in 2021, the city of Albuquerque renamed the portion east of Isleta Blvd, which includes the bridge, to Avenida Dolores Huerta. So while Bridge Blvd is very much still a thing, it no longer serves the very thing it was named for.

Anything else like this out there? I know there's a thread out there about roads named for businesses that left, but this is a little different.

Alps

Old Boonton Road has no Old Boonton left to serve - the latter has been subsumed by the nearby reservoir.

TheStranger

Several San Francisco streets are named for their fronting of San Francisco Bay and/or the waterfront - but due to landfill and expansion downtown, are no longer on the shoreline:

Beach Street
Bay Street
Battery Street and Front Street I think also fit this pattern too
Not directly an answer to this: Columbus Avenue in North Beach was a part of Montgomery Street back when Montgomery was the shoreline (North Beach itself is a neighborhood that no longer has any beach in it, but was a waterfront district about 150 years ago)

Chris Sampang

Alps

Jones Sausage Road in NC no longer has a Jones Sausage

kirbykart

The bridge on Bridge Street in Dayton is no longer usable.

https://goo.gl/maps/C2RGSBNkWGwyo8my7 Some mediocre Street View.

ski-man

In Austin Airport Blvd no longer takes you to the airport since they moved the Austin aiport to the old AFB. You can get there using it but it ends multiple miles away for the airport entrance.

Max Rockatansky

Butler Avenue in Fresno no longer passes by it's namesake rail siding community because it no longer exists.

Bruce

Juanita-Woodinville Way no longer reaches either of its named destinations.

paulthemapguy

Caterpillar Dr. in Joliet is named for the Caterpillar production facility that it once served.  That plant has been shuttered.  I doubt this is the only place where something like this happened--it might not be the only street named for the Caterpillar corporation like this, even!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Thing 342

The various Yorktown Rd segments in Newport News and York County (none of which are in Yorktown proper) are all remnants of VA-391 (later VA-514). Old Williamsburg Rd (also once a part of VA-391) used to run through NWS Yorktown to reach Williamsburg before the route was downgraded to secondary status and later closed.

jp the roadgeek

Shaw's Drive in Bristol, CT hasn't had a Shaw's supermarket to serve in almost 15 years, and at one time even served a Walmart Neighborhood Market.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

Gallows Road here in Fairfax County. Virginia no longer has capital punishment (much less hangings).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MATraveler128

In my town, there's a street called Railroad Ave, which used to be a stop along the Salem-Lowell train line. The railroad has since been decommissioned, but the street no longer serves said railroad and is now a series of condos.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

roadman65

Old Melbourne Highway in Osceola County, FL is one.  It dead ends, but once upon a time it did go further to reconnect back to US 192 to live up to the highway going to Melbourne.

Old Melbourne Highway was a former alignment of US 192 in Central Florida bypassed by today's highway that is now called Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

In Methuen, MA and Haverhill, MA, Ferry Rd. is the name of two streets that line up across a river. I'm not aware of any former ferry, but how else could it have happened?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Evan_Th

In Chapel Hill, NC, Horace Williams Airport got closed down, so Airport Drive no longer runs near an airport.  Airport Road would be in the same boat, except it got renamed to MLK Jr. Blvd.

Also in Chapel Hill, the Ephesus Church on Ephesus Church Road is now Jubilee Baptist Church, the American Legion post moved away from Legion Road, there's no longer a dairy farm on Weaver Dairy Road, South Road is no longer at the south side of the university campus, Pittsboro Street and Old Pittsboro Road run into South Columbia Street long before they get anywhere near Pittsboro, and the farm on Mason Farm Road got turned into a wildlife preserve.

dlsterner

Quote from: 1 on November 21, 2022, 11:24:13 AM
In Methuen, MA and Haverhill, MA, Ferry Rd. is the name of two streets that line up across a river. I'm not aware of any former ferry, but how else could it have happened?

A similar situation occurs in Fort Walton Beach FL (NE Ferry Ave) and Shalimar FL (Old Ferry Rd).  Just as in 1's example, I am not aware of a former ferry (my family moved there in 1967) but it would seem logical, especially prior to the building of the bridges on SR 85.

US 89

There are a crapload of "xxx Ferry Rd" streets in the Atlanta metro named after historic ferries, mostly across the Chattahoochee River. They include:

Paces Ferry Rd
Powers Ferry Rd
Heards Ferry Rd
Johnson Ferry Rd
McGinnis Ferry Rd
Nesbit Ferry Rd
Bells Ferry Rd

There are obviously no ferries left today. Some of those roads still cross the river on their own bridges, others were essentially built over by other bridges (Powers Ferry was right where I-285 now crosses the river), and others are now discontinuous.

There are also a whole bunch of "xxx Bridge Rd" in the Atlanta area, for the same reason. Jones Bridge Rd is one where the bridge no longer exists.

Takumi

Goodes Bridge Road, just outside Richmond, is an old alignment of US 360. While Goodes Bridge still exists (as a pair), the road named for it ends at a different road.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.