News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Nevada border monuments

Started by roadfro, December 02, 2018, 12:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Curious why some highways don't have a "Welcome to Nevada" sign at the state line? Border monuments are on the way!

Ask Joe: Why no "Welcome to Nevada" sign at Bordertown?, MyNews4, 11/30/18
Last year NDOT set out to replace all the "Welcome to Nevada" signs, the ones showing a lone prospector with new versions which were designed by Nevada high school students.

Most of those have been installed but in spots like Bordertown NDOT is designing what it calls gateway monuments like this to welcome people into the state. There will be six of the gateway monuments. Here in the North, they'll be installed at Bordertown, Topaz Lake and Crystal Bay up at Lake Tahoe.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: gonealookin on November 28, 2018, 08:06:04 PM
Thanks for the dedicated thread, roadfro, good idea.

I checked NV 28 today.  Since every state-maintained highway it connects to (CA 28, NV 431, US 50) now uses the California R-2 standard, I thought maybe it had somehow just been omitted from the NDOT release.  Nope, it still has the usual Nevada signage.

I keep track of this because, when chain controls are in effect, I know I'm in compliance.  If I'm in a crash, I'm looking at the other car to see if that one is legal as well.

I took this photo in April 2015 on NV-28 a little bit east of the border:

NV-028-WTE by Paul Drives, on Flickr

There WAS a sign there before.  Just not anymore.  It's the only "Welcome to Nevada" sign I've ever seen.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

gonealookin

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 15, 2019, 09:31:25 AM
There WAS a sign there before.  Just not anymore.  It's the only "Welcome to Nevada" sign I've ever seen.

At that end of NV 28, at Crystal Bay at the state line on the north side of Lake Tahoe, NDOT intends to install a more elaborate Nevada "monument sign" rather than a pole-mounted Welcome to Nevada metal one.  It will probably be put in place sometime in 2019.

The other two monument signs in the north part of the state will be placed at the north and south entrances of US 395 from California to Nevada.

gonealookin

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 11, 2019, 01:49:32 AM
Quote from: roadfro on December 02, 2018, 12:07:26 PM
Curious why some highways don't have a "Welcome to Nevada" sign at the state line? Border monuments are on the way!

Ask Joe: Why no "Welcome to Nevada" sign at Bordertown?, MyNews4, 11/30/18
Last year NDOT set out to replace all the "Welcome to Nevada" signs, the ones showing a lone prospector with new versions which were designed by Nevada high school students.

Most of those have been installed but in spots like Bordertown NDOT is designing what it calls gateway monuments like this to welcome people into the state. There will be six of the gateway monuments. Here in the North, they'll be installed at Bordertown, Topaz Lake and Crystal Bay up at Lake Tahoe.

Wow, one on each stateline crossing of US 395. Not bad.

The first border monument sign went up this week at the northbound US 395 entrance at Topaz Lake (Mono County CA/Douglas County NV).  The first comment on every news story compares this thing to a guillotine.

roadfro

Quote from: gonealookin on October 16, 2019, 02:38:34 PM
The first border monument sign went up this week at the northbound US 395 entrance at Topaz Lake (Mono County CA/Douglas County NV).  The first comment on every news story compares this thing to a guillotine.

You beat me to posting this...I saw the image via NDOT's Instagram.

I think the comparisons to a guillotine are rather dramatic (but I also see how the comparison could be made). All the others will have different designs.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

skluth

Quote from: roadfro on October 17, 2019, 12:04:04 PM
Quote from: gonealookin on October 16, 2019, 02:38:34 PM

You beat me to posting this...I saw the image via NDOT's Instagram.

I think the comparisons to a guillotine are rather dramatic (but I also see how the comparison could be made). All the others will have different designs.

I get that it looks a bit like a guillotine. But Nevada do much about its shape any more than Florida can stop looking like a limp phallus dangling off the SE US.

roadfro

MOD NOTE: Split the above posts off from the general "Nevada" thread, since these monuments are now actively being installed. –Roadfro

From NDOT's YouTube channel, a video about the installation of the new border monument installed on US 395 southbound at Bordertown.

https://youtu.be/BHjuisyjvVA

EDIT 12/14/19: For some reason, the original video was taken down. Changed link to republished video.

roadfro

The border monument on SR 28 in Crystal Bay is up now.

NDOT's Instagram photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/B43JJirhrHX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

This one is a bit less of a monument and more of a sign. Reminds me of those overhead clearance signs in a fast food drive through lane.

gonealookin

These "border monuments" can look nice when they are prominently visible, as they would be at almost all entrances to Nevada, being in open desert.  That Bordertown one in the video above is exactly what I have in mind.

I was wondering how they were going to make one of these work amidst the relative clutter of Crystal Bay and, having gone by there today to have a look, I don't think this one is particularly successful.

Not the greatest photo, I know, but I'm standing in the traffic lane of CA 28 right there so I couldn't get too picky about the shot.  They didn't have much space to work with, thus that design.  One of those trees somewhat obscures the Battle Born shield; I love trees as much as anyone but that one probably could have been removed to make the sign a little more visible.

California's sign across the road is the standard gold letters on blue background with the poppy, Nevada used to have a prospector sign there as shown in the photo at the top of this thread, and I just think a regular metal sign would work fine there with the money saved being put to better use elsewhere.

roadfro

^ Yeah, you're definitely right about the visibility. Should have removed or cut back the tree. Or possibly moved the monument forward to clear the tree (depending on exactly where the state line and ROW are).

roadfro

GaryV

gonealookin

Quote from: GaryV on November 19, 2019, 12:20:12 PM
Quote from: roadfro on November 19, 2019, 10:51:07 AM
I-11/US 93 monument is coming next. Should be done by early January.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-nevada/new-welcome-to-nevada-sign-being-installed-at-arizona-border-1895430/

Looks like a cemetery marker.  It even has a date (but just one).

To clarify, the one in the picture at the top of the R-J story is the one at Bordertown on US 395 north of Reno.

QuoteThe sign being installed just past the Hoover Dam Bridge features Art-Deco touches with a rounded top and ridged sides.

But so far we have a guillotine, a fast food drive-thru clearance sign and a cemetery marker :-/ . We'll see what this $396K buys us at Hoover Dam.

roadfro

Quote from: gonealookin on November 19, 2019, 04:08:25 PM
QuoteThe sign being installed just past the Hoover Dam Bridge features Art-Deco touches with a rounded top and ridged sides.

But so far we have a guillotine, a fast food drive-thru clearance sign and a cemetery marker :-/ . We'll see what this $396K buys us at Hoover Dam.

Given the context of the monument's location and recent aesthetic treatments along the I-11 Boulder City Bypass corridor, as well as the "Art Deco touches", I imagine this monument will be styled somewhat to resemble (or at least invoke the image of) Hoover Dam.

roadfro

US 89

Quote from: gonealookin on November 19, 2019, 04:08:25 PM

Looks like it bought another headstone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.