News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA 86

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 09, 2019, 11:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Recently I paid a visit the CA 86 expressway in Coachella Valley from CA 111 north to I-10.  This particular segment of CA 86 was until recently the uniquely signed CA 86S.  CA 86 north of CA 111 is briefly co-signed with the latter which disappears after a single reassurance shield northbound.  Interestingly the CA 86 overpass of Grapefruit Boulevard at Post Mile RIV R12.10 is still signed as "CA 86S" on the bridging structure.  CA 86 interestingly in it's original configuration between Coachella south to Heber was assigned over what had been US 99 during the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  The original iteration of CA 86 differs significantly today as it is located on Harrison Street west of the modern expressway mostly several miles west between Coachella and Oasis.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/12/california-state-route-86.html

sparker

About 15 years ago, right after the 86S extension was completed south of (then) CA 195 to provide a seamless 4-lane expressway from I-10 south to Westmorland, the "split" point of CA 86 and 86S was, at least in the NB direction, signed as a simple left turn onto Harrison from the expressway; 86 continuation trailblazers simply pointed to that turn, while a sign assembly indicating "BEGIN 86S" was erected at the far side of the intersection.  A few years later (ca. 2007) the CA 86 left-turn signage simply vanished although the expressway north of that point retained 86S reassurance shields until about 2011, when it was re-signed as "vanilla" CA 86.   I can think of no other similar arrangement -- temporary or permanent -- on the state-maintained highway network.

mrsman

Quote from: sparker on December 13, 2019, 02:44:13 AM
About 15 years ago, right after the 86S extension was completed south of (then) CA 195 to provide a seamless 4-lane expressway from I-10 south to Westmorland, the "split" point of CA 86 and 86S was, at least in the NB direction, signed as a simple left turn onto Harrison from the expressway; 86 continuation trailblazers simply pointed to that turn, while a sign assembly indicating "BEGIN 86S" was erected at the far side of the intersection.  A few years later (ca. 2007) the CA 86 left-turn signage simply vanished although the expressway north of that point retained 86S reassurance shields until about 2011, when it was re-signed as "vanilla" CA 86.   I can think of no other similar arrangement -- temporary or permanent -- on the state-maintained highway network.

So Harrison is not signed as Business 86?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on December 13, 2019, 09:51:11 AM
Quote from: sparker on December 13, 2019, 02:44:13 AM

So Harrison is not signed as Business 86?

Definitely not from what I saw on this last trip.  When I used to drive 86S for work I don't even recall seeing CA 86 shields at the split from Harrison. 

mrsman

A number of years ago, I put in a recommendation on Fictional Highways to renumber some of the highways in this area.

Given that as of now, there is one main drive from I-10 to Calexico that has fewer signals and is largely expressway grade.  This is the path of CA-86 to CA-78 around Brawely, to CA-111.  I feel that it would be wise if this one pathway would have one number, to make it easier for traffic to bypass the business districts in the Coachella and Imperial Valleys.  The other highways would either be decomissioned or renumbered.

The main expressway routing should be CA-86.  Indio to Mexico.  Part of the expressway will mulitplex with CA-78.

Current CA-86 from the Brawley bypass to Heber to be decomissioned or renumbered.

CA-111 should be truncated to only exist from Mecca to Hovley, ending at CA-86 expressway at both ends.
CA-111 between I-10 and Indio to be decomissioned or renumbered.  CA-111 south of Hovley to be CA-86.

Better guide signage from CA-74 through Palm Desert to I-10.

sparker

Quote from: mrsman on December 13, 2019, 12:28:12 PM
A number of years ago, I put in a recommendation on Fictional Highways to renumber some of the highways in this area.

Given that as of now, there is one main drive from I-10 to Calexico that has fewer signals and is largely expressway grade.  This is the path of CA-86 to CA-78 around Brawely, to CA-111.  I feel that it would be wise if this one pathway would have one number, to make it easier for traffic to bypass the business districts in the Coachella and Imperial Valleys.  The other highways would either be decomissioned or renumbered.

The main expressway routing should be CA-86.  Indio to Mexico.  Part of the expressway will mulitplex with CA-78.

Current CA-86 from the Brawley bypass to Heber to be decomissioned or renumbered.

CA-111 should be truncated to only exist from Mecca to Hovley, ending at CA-86 expressway at both ends.
CA-111 between I-10 and Indio to be decomissioned or renumbered.  CA-111 south of Hovley to be CA-86.

Better guide signage from CA-74 through Palm Desert to I-10.

CA 111 north/west of Indio is already being relinquished in bits and pieces; it has been up to the individual city jurisdictions through which the route passes to either accept or reject assumption of maintenance on the route.  Since 111 was rerouted around downtown Palm Springs about 20 years ago, now passing by the regional airport instead, that is one of the segments still retaining its signage.  Except for text signs hanging from signal assemblies reading "Highway 111", it is largely absent east of the Palm Springs city limits.  IMO, CA 74 should be reinstated on former 111 east of the 74/111 junction all the way to a terminus at I-10; the remainder of state-maintained 111 from the Palm Springs city limits to the northwestern original terminus near Whitewater deserves some sort of renumbering ("310", in keeping with Caltrans' designation of 330 and 371, may be a reasonable candidate).  But then the various cities would have to replace their "Highway 111" hanging signs -- so such an idea may not come to pass anytime soon.  But I agree with the concept of a single number on the expressway between I-8 and I-10; it's also likely that Caltrans will decommission that portion of CA 86 between Brawley and Heber in any case (system-wise, it's both redundant and obsolescent) -- so that particular action will likely happen sooner than later.  86 would be the obvious choice for an overall expressway designation, seeing as CA 111 is now in essence simply an alternative route around the east side of the Salton Sea, while CA 86 handles most of the traffic, both commercial and otherwise.  Once Westmorland is bypassed (apparently the project is under study currently) and the expressway concept fully completed, the other actions in the Imperial Valley may well fall like dominoes.   

Max Rockatansky

Regarding CA 86S, some of the bridgework on the modern expressway still displays the former spur designation:

IMG_2540 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2538 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
And -- it'll probably stay that way until the signs are up for replacing.  Since the primary use of those signs is maintenance -- public info is only icing on the cake, so to speak -- D8 won't care what it says, as long as the mileage data line up with what's on their books.   Caltrans knows it's 86, CHP knows it's 86, and hopefully the service driver for AAA knows it as well -- and for the sake of those who depend upon such stuff, the GPS/mapping folks should be following suit.     

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.