News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Car flying over a roundabout literally

Started by roadman65, February 19, 2020, 12:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Those damn Duke Boys were at it again.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 19, 2020, 01:45:03 PM
Those damn Duke Boys were at it again.

From the TV report, it sounds more like Daisy got into the 'shine stash! :biggrin:

ozarkman417

I hope they pressed the ZR button on the back of their joy-con  :-D  :-D

The Ghostbuster

The story says she was drunk when she hit the roundabout at 100 MPH. Makes sense to me.

Concrete Bob

Roundabouts are definitely a "traffic-calming" device. 

roadman65

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 19, 2020, 06:39:03 PM
The story says she was drunk when she hit the roundabout at 100 MPH. Makes sense to me.
Wonder if she will sue like that wacked out woman in Reading, PA when surveillance captured the moment that she fell into the fountain in a local mall there while texting on her phone?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Concrete Bob on February 19, 2020, 09:07:21 PM

Certainly slowed that car down or "calmed"  it. 

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 19, 2020, 10:26:19 PM

Certainly slowed that car down or “calmed” it. 

Yeah, blame the roundabout when someone's doing travelling at Interstate speeds on a residential two-lane road. Stop lines at a roundaboutish-type circle are kind of perplexing, though I might roll through the stop line or brake suddenly if I didn't see a stop sign to complement it.

It's hard to hit something larger than a bug at 100 mph and walk/stagger away from a wreck. Looks more like 60-70 mph, and it looks like it did its job (although also inadvertently damaging another parked car).

+ 135 point Insane Jump

jakeroot

characteristics of drunk drivers is often that they are travelling at inconsistent speeds, but also (usually) below the limit. Sometimes far below the limit. I don't usually associate excessive speed with drunk driving.

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on February 19, 2020, 11:26:51 PM

characteristics of drunk drivers is often that they are travelling at inconsistent speeds, but also (usually) below the limit. Sometimes far below the limit. I don't usually associate excessive speed with drunk driving.

All the reports I've seen said she was driving under the influence. That's a broad category that doesn't always mean alcohol. The speed and the way she was described by witnesses as acting when she got out of the car point to being under the influence of some other drug(s).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

sparker

As opposed to a "driver calming" device!!!!! :colorful:

kalvado

Did anyone else expected to see a video of a crane moving a car over roundabout - and hoping, maybe,  for a helicopter lifting a car?

jakeroot

Quote from: kalvado on February 20, 2020, 05:14:50 PM
Did anyone else expected to see a video of a crane moving a car over roundabout - and hoping, maybe,  for a helicopter lifting a car?

I too am not a fan of "literally".

Henry

That was such an amazing thing to see!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on February 19, 2020, 11:26:51 PM

Speeds go both ways with being drunk, and I would venture to say most drunk driving accidents occur due to excessive speed (thus, the tendency for severe damage and injuries, especially to the innocent victim).  If drunks tended to drive slower than normal, and thus caused less damage and injuries to the victims, there wouldn't be as much attention given to the subject.

jdbx

An old CHP friend of mine once said that the pattern is generally low-speed = high BAC, high-speed = low BAC.  That is to say, the people driving around between .08-.16 are the ones getting into the 100 MPH crashes.  The ones driving on the wrong side of the freeway at 45 MPH are more likely to blow a .20 than a .10.

sparker

IIRC, last year a car plowed through the roundabout at the junction of CA 12 and CA 113 west of Rio Vista -- but didn't get airborne in the process (mostly plants inside the circle).  I still have serious doubts about the efficacy of roundabouts on higher-speed rural routes, particularly interregional connectors hosting high volumes of commercial traffic including semis!  They're still pondering a roundabout at the junction of CA 25 and CA 156 near Hollister; the former is a major commute route and the latter a commercial artery between the San Joaquin Valley and Monterey Peninsula/Salinas.  A roundabout there is a continuous series of incidents waiting to happen!

jakeroot

Quote from: sparker on February 22, 2020, 03:24:50 AM
IIRC, last year a car plowed through the roundabout at the junction of CA 12 and CA 113 west of Rio Vista -- but didn't get airborne in the process (mostly plants inside the circle).  I still have serious doubts about the efficacy of roundabouts on higher-speed rural routes, particularly interregional connectors hosting high volumes of commercial traffic including semis!  They're still pondering a roundabout at the junction of CA 25 and CA 156 near Hollister; the former is a major commute route and the latter a commercial artery between the San Joaquin Valley and Monterey Peninsula/Salinas.  A roundabout there is a continuous series of incidents waiting to happen!

Both driver and passenger were killed when they hit the central barrier. Covered in the "Roundabouts" thread:

Quote from: tradephoric on September 20, 2019, 05:53:09 PM
An elderly couple was killed after their Toyota Prius crashed into the concrete roundabout at Highway 12 and 113 near Suisun City, California.  Retaining walls in the the central islands of roundabouts... specifically roundabouts in rural/suburban locations... doesn't seem necessary.

Crash at Highways 12/113 roundabout leaves 2 dead
https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr-news/solano-news/suisun-city/crash-at-highways-12-113-roundabout-leaves-2-dead/comment-page-1/

formulanone

I tend to be more approving of roundabouts, but having a tall concrete barrier in the center is unnecessarily dangerous. I understand the attempt to discourage those few that will straight-line the roundabout, but that's just adding risk, not reducing it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on February 22, 2020, 04:06:49 AM
Quote from: sparker on February 22, 2020, 03:24:50 AM

Both driver and passenger were killed when they hit the central barrier. Covered in the "Roundabouts" thread:

Quote from: tradephoric on September 20, 2019, 05:53:09 PM
An elderly couple was killed after their Toyota Prius crashed into the concrete roundabout at Highway 12 and 113 near Suisun City, California.  Retaining walls in the the central islands of roundabouts... specifically roundabouts in rural/suburban locations... doesn't seem necessary.

Crash at Highways 12/113 roundabout leaves 2 dead
https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr-news/solano-news/suisun-city/crash-at-highways-12-113-roundabout-leaves-2-dead/comment-page-1/

When was that roundabout put in?  I don't recall it being there when I drove CA 113 last year.  Seems like that was probably an ill advised move with the Safety Corridor on 12 and low traffic count on 113. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2020, 08:57:30 AM
Seems like that was probably an ill advised move with the Safety Corridor on 12 and low traffic count on 113. 

One of the greatest understatements of the year! 

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on February 22, 2020, 08:33:47 AM
I tend to be more approving of roundabouts, but having a tall concrete barrier in the center is unnecessarily dangerous. I understand the attempt to discourage those few that will straight-line the roundabout, but that's just adding risk, not reducing it.

I'll refrain from repeating my opinion here; you should read pp 13-14 in this PDF for a read-up on central island design, and then drop a line in the roundabout thread if interested.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2020, 08:57:30 AM
When was that roundabout put in?  I don't recall it being there when I drove CA 113 last year.  Seems like that was probably an ill advised move with the Safety Corridor on 12 and low traffic count on 113. 

Last summer, as far as I can tell. The crash occurred mid-September, with the curbing and central island being the only things complete by that point (in addition to any utility work, I presume).

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^^
And I'll stand by my opinion that while roundabouts may be appropriate for lower-speed urban/suburban applications, deploying them along high-speed rural facilities is at best questionable and at worst dangerous.  CA 12/113 certainly needed improvement, but channelization and improvement of lines of sight would have been a more judicious approach rather than applying the seeming method du jour of Caltrans -- when in doubt, put in a roundabout (hey, that rhymes!).:D  Maybe they're just tired of maintaining the electronics required for a signalized installation.  In any case, it seems to be a case of the "garbage can" syndrome -- a favored solution looking for a place to be applied. 

jakeroot

Quote from: sparker on February 23, 2020, 09:57:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
And I'll stand by my opinion that while roundabouts may be appropriate for lower-speed urban/suburban applications, deploying them along high-speed rural facilities is at best questionable and at worst dangerous.  CA 12/113 certainly needed improvement, but channelization and improvement of lines of sight would have been a more judicious approach rather than applying the seeming method du jour of Caltrans -- when in doubt, put in a roundabout (hey, that rhymes!).:D  Maybe they're just tired of maintaining the electronics required for a signalized installation.  In any case, it seems to be a case of the "garbage can" syndrome -- a favored solution looking for a place to be applied.

I feel like roundabouts and DDIs are both favored solutions looking for places to be applied, with the difference being that DDIs actually have a good crash record (from what I've heard at least ... would appreciate some hard data on the matter at some point). Roundabouts seem to be a favorite among several states (and/or jurisdictions within), particularly Wisconsin, Washington State, Florida, Colorado, Kansas, Maryland, and others. IIRC, Wisconsin even had (has?) a protocol that required roundabouts be the primary alternative design for upgraded intersections, with signals and four-way stops needing further reasoning/explanation to implement (DaBigE probably knows best).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.