News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

dvferyance

Quote from: ipeters61 on September 29, 2019, 12:16:05 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on September 28, 2019, 09:37:14 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on September 28, 2019, 09:25:26 PM
Here is an interesting one. You can get the New York AM radio stations from the Outer Banks of NC.

On a somewhat related note, radio stations can be received on opposite sides of the Great Lakes. For example, stations in eastern Wisconsin can be heard on Michigan's west coast and vice versa
Are you talking about at night?  Or during the day?
During the day according to radio locator WFAN is a station you can get from the Outer Banks due to it's weird signal pattern the outer banks are just east enough to be in it' fringe area over the Atlantic.

J3ebrules

Quote from: kalvado on October 03, 2019, 01:28:56 PM
Quote from: Bruce on October 03, 2019, 12:06:13 AM
These two schools share a campus that straddles the King-Snohomish county line. Part of the same district, though.

Local campus of State University has portions in 3 adjacent municipalities. So 911 dispatch has some deciphering to do when they get a call.
And in order to "represent student population better"  city voting was gerrymandered with districts going across the campus. So dorm students have to provide their building and room number - and in some cases location of their bed within the room - for voting purposes.

Wait... since when do students vote based on where their dorms are? At my college, we weren't city residents; we voted on absentee ballot where our parents lived. Can't be different for high school boarding schools...
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

english si

Quote from: J3ebrules on October 10, 2019, 12:34:47 AMWait... since when do students vote based on where their dorms are? At my college, we weren't city residents
My uni hall of residence registered us all (presumably, but probably not, paying attention to citizenships and seeing who was eligible for specific votes*) to vote with that as our address. We could also vote postal vote for back home if we were registered there. We had a choice of where to vote (and for local elections we possibly could have voted in two places - home and uni).

At one point there were three students on the city council, and a few more who had stood. Though only one was living in college dorms (to use the US term), as 2nd years and above tended to rent private rental housing, rather than live with the uni as the landlord.

Of course, this was the UK. The US may vary...

*Depending on the election, different sets of resident aliens (to use the US term) could vote. Not that they check - some London Boroughs don't differentiate between the different eligibilities and put ineligible residents on the roll for some elections because they are able to vote in others - and no one really cares much.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: J3ebrules on October 10, 2019, 12:34:47 AM
These two schools share a campus that straddles the King-Snohomish county line. Part of the same district, though.

Local campus of State University has portions in 3 adjacent municipalities. So 911 dispatch has some deciphering to do when they get a call.
And in order to "represent student population better"  city voting was gerrymandered with districts going across the campus. So dorm students have to provide their building and room number - and in some cases location of their bed within the room - for voting purposes.

Wait... since when do students vote based on where their dorms are? At my college, we weren't city residents; we voted on absentee ballot where our parents lived. Can't be different for high school boarding schools...

You can choose to move your voter registration address to your college residence or keep it at home. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 10, 2019, 07:40:01 AM

Wait... since when do students vote based on where their dorms are? At my college, we weren’t city residents; we voted on absentee ballot where our parents lived. Can’t be different for high school boarding schools...

You can choose to move your voter registration address to your college residence or keep it at home. 

In addition, some students (especially international students) live on campus year-round.  Many schools will keep one residence hall open for these people.

empirestate

Since at least 1994 (and probably a lot longer). When I cast my first vote, it was at my on-campus polling place in NYC, not at home in Rochester.

J3ebrules

That's so odd to me, especially since I went to a state school where residency was established by where your parents lived. Otherwise, I could have just moved into the dorm for a year and said, "oh, hey, I'm a NJ resident now!"  (My family was living in PA at the time).
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Mark68

Quote from: J3ebrules on October 10, 2019, 04:22:31 PM
That’s so odd to me, especially since I went to a state school where residency was established by where your parents lived. Otherwise, I could have just moved into the dorm for a year and said, “oh, hey, I’m a NJ resident now!” (My family was living in PA at the time).

Actually, that's part of what I do for a living--answer students' questions about residency. Not sure how it works in NJ, but in CO, residency IS based on your parents' residence (by state law) and you are considered a dependent student until you turn 23. So even if you register to vote in CO (and work here, register your motor vehicle here, have a lease agreement, etc), you are still a dependent until 23.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

hbelkins

Quote from: empirestate on October 10, 2019, 11:32:28 AM

Since at least 1994 (and probably a lot longer). When I cast my first vote, it was at my on-campus polling place in NYC, not at home in Rochester.

I always voted absentee until one election, in 1982 or 83, when I changed my registration to Rowan County, Ky., to vote in a local election at the behest of my girlfriend at the time, who lived in Morehead. I felt really bad about it, because I knew I'd be leaving that community and would never be a permanent resident. I used my college residence hall address and had no issues. I presume, from seeing other posts, that state laws vary.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Mark68 on October 10, 2019, 04:41:55 PM
That’s so odd to me, especially since I went to a state school where residency was established by where your parents lived. Otherwise, I could have just moved into the dorm for a year and said, “oh, hey, I’m a NJ resident now!” (My family was living in PA at the time).

Actually, that's part of what I do for a living--answer students' questions about residency. Not sure how it works in NJ, but in CO, residency IS based on your parents' residence (by state law) and you are considered a dependent student until you turn 23. So even if you register to vote in CO (and work here, register your motor vehicle here, have a lease agreement, etc), you are still a dependent until 23.

Is that just for students or for everybody?  Seems really messed up that you could move out at 18, get a job, and 4 years later still legally be required to vote at your parents' address.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 11, 2019, 07:07:02 PM

Is that just for students or for everybody?  Seems really messed up that you could move out at 18, get a job, and 4 years later still legally be required to vote at your parents' address.

Looking at the state's voting question website it seems that it's only as long as your permanent address is your parent's address.  If you move out when you're 18, you can vote where you live.

Mark68

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 11, 2019, 07:07:02 PM

You can vote when you move here but you can't get residency until you turn 23. Or have a dependent of your own, get married, be a veteran, have been emancipated...

But the above situations have to have supporting documents.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

CNGL-Leudimin

Back when US 340 ended in Winchester and Virginia signed it as East-West, one could go East on US 340 and enter West Virginia. This is still the case, but US 340 is now signed North-South ("Sideways" as I say).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SP Cook

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 15, 2019, 09:07:12 AM
Back when US 340 ended in Winchester and Virginia signed it as East-West, one could go East on US 340 and enter West Virginia. This is still the case, but US 340 is now signed North-South ("Sideways" as I say).

Because West Virginia is misnamed, it is possible to enter it from Virginia in any of the four directions.   Just in Mercer County, you can do three of the four.

kphoger

I could no longer be considered my parents' dependent for insurance purposes when I received more than 50% of my income on my own.  That's the reason I stopped flunking out of college full-time and instead decided to enroll part-time:  I only went to the classes I enjoyed, which meant failing the others, but I kept enrolling full-time in order to stay on my parents' insurance (another requirement).  Once we realized I couldn't stay on their insurance anyway because of my income, I went ahead and only enrolled in as many classes as I would actually attend.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dlsterner

Arkansas borders six other states.  It is possible to start somewhere in Arkansas, travel due south, and be able to cross into any of the bordering states.

(A different point for each of the bordering states)

empirestate

Quote from: dlsterner on October 15, 2019, 10:28:58 PM
Arkansas borders six other states.  It is possible to start somewhere in Arkansas, travel due south, and be able to cross into any of the bordering states.

Once we get down to the fractal level, I'd guess this is possible from any state. ;-)

sparker

Quote from: empirestate on October 16, 2019, 07:55:58 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on October 15, 2019, 10:28:58 PM

Once we get down to the fractal level, I'd guess this is possible from any state. ;-)

When it comes to such directional access to all adjoining states, it would -- even at the fractal level -- come down to whether the border is based on natural geographic features (waterways, ridgelines, valleys) or simple straight surveyed lines.  Given that, there is no possibility within either Colorado or Wyoming for single-directional -- regardless of direction -- access to its neighbors, since its borders are predicated upon specific lines of latitude & longitude.  Compare that to California, where one could conceivably head north into any of the three adjoining states (AZ due to bends of the Colorado River).   

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: sparker on October 16, 2019, 10:11:40 PM
Given that, there is no possibility within either Colorado or Wyoming for single-directional -- regardless of direction -- access to its neighbors, since its borders are predicated upon specific lines of latitude & longitude.

This is not quite true. Borders are defined by surveying, which is, of course, subject to various errors. As you can see in the following diagram, then, you can get to Montana from Wyoming by traveling due north, east and west.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I stand quasi-corrected; applying the straight-line maxim to WY (or probably any state with discrepancies in surveying accuracy) was premature.  But the maxim stands, providing a real straight line is in service.   Nevertheless, because the state lines -- as shown in the enlargements -- have been "massaged" to provide shallow angular connections of the original inaccurate surveys, one can't really go south to Montana (and though it doesn't cite any similar issues with the southern line with UT and CO (or the longitudinal lines as well), one could easily presume that similar errors -- and field corrections -- have taken place.  So for the north & south lines, E-W movement is possible; the same, shifted 90 degrees, applies to the east & west lines. 

With all the river's bends and "oxbows" south of the Ohio River confluence, the directional variables along the Mississippi River regarding the bordering states seem almost infinite -- and this applies to the lower reaches of the Ohio as well! 

KEVIN_224

Sadly, that map website showing Wyoming/Montana borders didn't work for me. :(

bing101

ErmineNotyours

I remember Omni Magazine stating that nobody knows which of the two Dakotas was admitted to the Union first, because they were admitted at about the same time, and the present who signed the orders covered his hand and nobody could see which state he signed in first.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.