News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

More of US 62

Started by leroys73, April 16, 2014, 08:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leroys73

US 62 seems to have always been in my life so it is sort of an on going obsession.  I lived near it in two homes 1000 miles apart. Accidentally I have ran across it in my many travels.  At times I will seek it out.  There are very few miles I have not traveled on it from Ohio west as a result of my last trip. I am still missing the stretch between Guadalupe Mountains National Park and the edge of El Paso.

I was traveling by motorcycle to the Moonshine Lunch Run in Casey, IL.  I decided to leave Dallas by interstate to Texarkana then hit the back roads.  I missed the US 59 exit so I continued on I 30 to Arkansas 7 near Hot Springs.  Following 7 to Harrison with intentions of going farther north before turning east on 160 and 60 to Cairo, IL then turning north again.  Well, US 62 worked its magic.  After spending the night in Harrison I missed another turn so I continued east on US 62, by accident again, to New Madrid, MO.

So now I can say this segment of US 62 has added to my segments of US 62 to include all of it from Ohio west to Guadalupe Mountains National Park with a portion in El Paso that took me to Mexico.  I guess I'll have to finish it up this short western segment and east of Ohio. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

AsphaltPlanet

I did some of US-62 through northwestern PA on the way back to Toronto after a weekend in Ohio and it was a fantastic drive.  The towns are interesting, and the highway is quiet, and undulates with the ground line.  I was doing about 105km/h for most of it, and it felt fast.  The only thing that kept me from going any faster was the fear of deer jumping out from the vast canopy of trees that the highway passes through.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

texaskdog

I don't like 62 for it's long concurrency but actually maybe it's 180 I should dislike.  How about recommission 180 (branch of US-80, a road which barely exists) into 62?  I'm sure El Paso can find some name for their stub.

US71

Quote from: leroys73 on April 16, 2014, 08:24:55 AM
US 62 seems to have always been in my life so it is sort of an on going obsession.  I lived near it in two homes 1000 miles apart. Accidentally I have ran across it in my many travels.  At times I will seek it out.  There are very few miles I have not traveled on it from Ohio west as a result of my last trip. I am still missing the stretch between Guadalupe Mountains National Park and the edge of El Paso.

I was traveling by motorcycle to the Moonshine Lunch Run in Casey, IL.  I decided to leave Dallas by interstate to Texarkana then hit the back roads.  I missed the US 59 exit so I continued on I 30 to Arkansas 7 near Hot Springs.  Following 7 to Harrison with intentions of going farther north before turning east on 160 and 60 to Cairo, IL then turning north again.  Well, US 62 worked its magic.  After spending the night in Harrison I missed another turn so I continued east on US 62, by accident again, to New Madrid, MO.

So now I can say this segment of US 62 has added to my segments of US 62 to include all of it from Ohio west to Guadalupe Mountains National Park with a portion in El Paso that took me to Mexico.  I guess I'll have to finish it up this short western segment and east of Ohio. 

If you ever get to NW or North Central Arkansas, I can show you several old alignments . It's also in the process of being widened between Avoca and (eventually) Gateway, AR
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

leroys73

Quote from: US71 on April 16, 2014, 09:37:22 AM
Quote from: leroys73 on April 16, 2014, 08:24:55 AM

If you ever get to NW or North Central Arkansas, I can show you several old alignments . It's also in the process of being widened between Avoca and (eventually) Gateway, AR

I've ridden almost all of it west of Harrison.  Next time up there I'll have to keep an eye out for the old alignments. They always fascinate me.  I want to start a movement to retain the old alignments for motorcycle only travel like they do "rails to trails". The old alignments are more interesting. Thanks for the offer I might take you up on it.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

hotdogPi

US 62 is not in the southeast, contrary to the board this topic is in.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

leroys73

Quote from: 1 on April 16, 2014, 03:17:35 PM

I know US 62 is not in the SE.  Pretty obvious by the states it runs through.  Never claimed it to be.
Sorry 'bout that.   :confused:
Didn't know it was a big deal and where does it say this is the SE?  Sorry I P...ed you off.

agentsteel53

it's in "Road Trips".  a mod may have moved it quietly between your post and leroy's confusion.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: leroys73 on April 17, 2014, 06:43:28 PM

I know US 62 is not in the SE.  Pretty obvious by the states it runs through.  Never claimed it to be.
Sorry 'bout that.   :confused:
Didn't know it was a big deal and where does it say this is the SE?  Sorry I P...ed you off.

Hey, no worries. Happens to the best of us.  :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wphiii

U.S. 62 has had a funny way of showing up in my life, too (hence my avatar). When my girlfriend moved back home to El Paso after we graduated from college, I really liked the idea that you could follow one number from NE Ohio, where we met, all the way to ELP. I've been on it in 7 of the 10 states it passes through, and not by design, either, just by happenstance.

Alps

Quote from: wphiii on April 21, 2014, 04:50:40 PM
U.S. 62 has had a funny way of showing up in my life, too (hence my avatar). When my girlfriend moved back home to El Paso after we graduated from college, I really liked the idea that you could follow one number from NE Ohio, where we met, all the way to ELP. I've been on it in 7 of the 10 states it passes through, and not by design, either, just by happenstance.
AR and NM are the states I haven't been on 62 in. I intentionally clinched it from NY into KY, and then got IL and MO via Cairo. OK and TX are my "random conquer" states where I just happened to pick up 62 mileage.

hbelkins

I have all of 62 in KY, IL, MO and AR. I have mileage on it in OK, OH and NY. I don't think I have any mileage on it in PA.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

leroys73

Yep, I have to do PA, NY, and finish a small stretch in TX plus a short distance in OH also about 20 miles in AR.  For two years I have planned a motorcycle trip to Newfoundland and thought I might get it on my way up from Dallas.  However, now I'll be in a time crunch if I make the trip so I'll have to hit the super slab. I'll save it for next time.

leroys73

Quote from: wphiii on April 21, 2014, 04:50:40 PM

WOW, we are at least related in a highway kind of way.  Since it twists and turns while running NE to SW it manages to get in our lives often.  Maybe in retirement I need to buy a house on it to finish out my days since it is almost a part of me.  Take care.

Alps

Right now there are only two major US highways I really want to clinch: US 11 and US 62, in that order. (I've done 1, which was top priority.)

leroys73

Anyone interested in US 62 is good. :thumbsup:  Since you are a fan of US 62, you have my interest in US 11.  It must be a good one. I have traveled a small part of US 11 so I have a lot to see yet.

hbelkins

I have US 11 clinched in PA, MD, WV and VA, as well as GA and LA. I also have the entirety of 11E and 11W in VA and TN clinched.

leroys73

:thumbsup:

Now I am really interested in US 11.  US 50 is high on my list, all east of Newton, KS done, as my grand parents owned the trucking company my dad drove for in the 40's & 50's with US 50 as a main route for them. US 66 similar reason.  62 by accident but now you guys have sparked my interest in US 11. 

hbelkins

Of all the states that I have left for US 11, New York holds the most intrigue. I only have short distances of that route in NY.

As for US 50, I have everything east of Kansas City except some mileage in the metro DC area of Virginia.

nexus73

Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2014, 06:33:21 PM
Right now there are only two major US highways I really want to clinch: US 11 and US 62, in that order. (I've done 1, which was top priority.)

If you got US 1 then it's time to come over to the Left Coast and get US 101 from Olympia WA to LA!  That's my favorite clinched route.  I have never even seen US 1 and that would be an "ultimate clinch" for N/S highways in my eyes so kudos to you for going from the Canadain border to within 90 or so miles of Havana!

Rick

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

wphiii

11 is definitely a "great white whale" of sorts for me. A friend and I have been talking about doing the whole thing from start to finish for over a year now, but we haven't been able to get on the same page in terms of time and money. The E-W routes, sadly, just require way too much time for me to be able to do any of them all at once at this point in time.

hbelkins

There was a fellow from Arizona, whose name escapes me at this time, who was a regular on MTR and did a cross-country trip on US 70 since he lives near it. Myself, I'd like to do the same with US 60, but I already have all of it from the OK/MO border east to its end.

leroys73

Quote from: hbelkins on April 24, 2014, 09:07:12 PM
Of all the states that I have left for US 11, New York holds the most intrigue. I only have short distances of that route in NY.

As for US 50, I have everything east of Kansas City except some mileage in the metro DC area of Virginia.

US 50 will take you right by the White House.

wphiii

Quote from: hbelkins on April 25, 2014, 01:33:02 PM
There was a fellow from Arizona, whose name escapes me at this time, who was a regular on MTR and did a cross-country trip on US 70 since he lives near it. Myself, I'd like to do the same with US 60, but I already have all of it from the OK/MO border east to its end.

I sort of crunched the numbers once, if you could call it that - took the dozen biggest metros along each of the major E/W U.S. routes, and divided it by the mileage of each route - and IIRC, 60 ended up being the "least densely populated." And its two most major population centers are basically at either end (Hampton Roads area and Phoenix), so most of the length of the route itself is even more sparse than the "density" number would indicate. That always made it interesting, to me. Plus the landscape it goes through in NM/AZ is superb.

leroys73

Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2014, 06:33:21 PM

Agree with Nexus, US 1 would be awesome.  I'd love to do it on a motorcycle but probably never will.  Although I do want to do the Four Corners Tour ride.  I could hit US 1 from Key West and stay on it up to Madawaska, Maine. Good idea.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.