News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Snow free Interstates

Started by roadman65, November 18, 2014, 05:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zzonkmiles

How about I-516 in Savannah, GA? Since it's by the coast, I'd imagine snow is rarer there compared the I-16 inland.

Same with I-295 in Jacksonville, FL.

hm insulators

Quote from: sawblade5 on November 30, 2014, 10:16:35 AM
I think someone mentioned the Hawaii Interstates. I believe that H-1, H-2, and H-201 had never had snow. I don't know about H-3 as I don't know if they get snow along that section or not as it goes up in elevations. It does snow on Hawaii's big island for sure but no Interstate Highways do exist up there or ever will as there seems to be no need for them there.

Can't get any more snow-free than the H-1, H-2 and H-3! I don't know exactly how high the H-3 gets, probably no more than a thousand feet or so (same with Hawaii 61 and 63 which roughly parallel the much newer H-3) and that's tropical rainforest up in those mountains, called the Koolau (KOH-oh-lao) Mountains. In Hawaii, snow rarely, if ever, falls below 9000 feet, so only the summits of Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa and Haleakala (on Maui) get snow.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Duke87

Brownsville and McAllen recorded some snow flurries yesterday morning in the course of Texas' ongoing crazy weather. Thus, even if we had allowed I-2 to qualify since it hadn't been designated yet in 2004, it has now seen post-designation snow, along with the I-69 branches.

Per records, it snowed in San Diego as recently as 2008, though it last snowed in the Los Angeles Basin in 1962.

Thus, I-105 has not seen any snow since it was built. And while the freeways that are now I-110, I-605, and I-710 have seen snow, they have not since these designations were assigned to them.

But if any snowfall since 1956 on the current location of an interstate knocks it out, even if it wasn't built or designated yet, then it would appear that nothing in the continental US qualifies - only the interstates in Hawaii and Puerto Rico do.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.