Longest Single Lane in the US

Started by Ketchup99, February 04, 2021, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketchup99

What's the longest single lane in the country? Your state?

It doesn't matter whether this lane travels on one highway or ten. If I am driving and simply don't change lanes (even if this entails changing highways), what's the farthest I can go?

How a lane ends:
- Merging into another lane
- An at-grade intersection where your lane is not in a through movement
- A lane splitting in two, unless one of the two is a clear exit
- If it's in a beltway-type situation and meets itself again (you could only count one loop as your final length)

Have fun! I'm guessing there will end up being lanes that run coast to coast.

webny99

This might not be exactly the same, but here's a very similar thread from this past July:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27165.0

And note reply #10 of that thread, which links back to an older version:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25640

jakeroot

I like the more technical aspect of this variation.

I tracked a single road during my brief lunch from Tacoma to Everett: S 24th St, Puyallup Ave, Pacific Hwy, Tukwila International Blvd, E Marginal Way, WA-99 Tunnel, Aurora Ave, Pacific Hwy (again), Evergreen Way, and finally Rucker Ave.

The #1 lane that begins at S 24th and Holgate in Tacoma eventually becomes the #2 lane on Aurora Ave in Seattle. It remains the #2 lane all the way to Everett, before ending as a right-turn-only at California St.

From rough calculations, about 59 miles.

Clearly, there are some that would be way longer than this. I'm sure the #2 lane on many freeways is continuous from start to finish. I just wanted to look specifically at urban routes since they have more variation with intersections and turn lanes.

mgk920

Until highway upgrade changes over the past couple of decades, one could follow a single lane from I-94 somewhere in SE Michigan around Chicagoland via the Tri-State Tollway (assuming that that lane continued through the tollgates as though the tollgates were not there) and on through NE Wisconsin via US 41 and back into Michigan.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

I was kind of hoping this would be above the longest single lane highway.   

Evan_Th

The northbound lane of US 101 through the west side of the Olympic Peninsula starts at S Alder Street in Aberdeen.  (Contrary to Google Maps road view, satellite view shows that the lanes on Levee St originate across the Riverside Avenue bridge.)  I believe it ends in Port Angeles, as North Lincoln St meeting E Railroad Ave at the waterfront, after 163 miles.

I'm sure there are longer, but this's the one that I thought to check.

thspfc

What about when a road widens? Say my lane goes from being the only lane in its direction to one of two. Can I just pick which lane I want to use then?

kphoger

Quote from: Ketchup99 on February 04, 2021, 02:36:14 PM
How a lane ends:

Quote from: thspfc on February 04, 2021, 08:08:19 PM
What about when a road widens? Say my lane goes from being the only lane in its direction to one of two.

The way I read things, your lane ends at that point.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ketchup99

Quote from: thspfc on February 04, 2021, 08:08:19 PM
What about when a road widens? Say my lane goes from being the only lane in its direction to one of two. Can I just pick which lane I want to use then?
Unless it's clear which lane is the continuation of the original, the lane just ends.

dlsterner

It doesn't matter whether this lane travels on one highway or ten. If I am driving and simply don't change lanes (even if this entails changing highways), what's the farthest I can go?

How a lane ends:
- If it's in a beltway-type situation and meets itself again (you could only count one loop as your final length)

Interesting question - What if - in a beltway situation - you come back to your starting point, but you were one lane further to the right or left from where you started?  In other words, a "spiral" situation.  In that case, can you count multiple loops?

(Just being goofy here - Too bad there aren't any Moebius beltways)

Ketchup99

I suppose you could! The lane wouldn't hit itself, so you could theoretically go around as many times as there are lanes. Maybe there's even an example of that somewhere.

dlsterner

Quote from: Ketchup99 on February 04, 2021, 10:36:59 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on February 04, 2021, 10:28:07 PM

How a lane ends:

Interesting question - What if - in a beltway situation - you come back to your starting point, but you were one lane further to the right or left from where you started?  In other words, a "spiral" situation.  In that case, can you count multiple loops?

I suppose you could! The lane wouldn't hit itself, so you could theoretically go around as many times as there are lanes. Maybe there's even an example of that somewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if I-495 (MD/DC/VA) did just that.  I would start "between the 270's" as that is 495's narrowest portion and see if that does happen (either inner or outer loop).  I would check myself, but I drive enough of that road in real life and I'm not inclined to drive it virtually right now  :crazy:  I-695 around Baltimore could be another possibility.

ran4sh

Quote from: dlsterner on February 04, 2021, 11:05:38 PM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on February 04, 2021, 10:36:59 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on February 04, 2021, 10:28:07 PM

How a lane ends:

I wouldn't be surprised if I-495 (MD/DC/VA) did just that.  I would start "between the 270's" as that is 495's narrowest portion and see if that does happen (either inner or outer loop).  I would check myself, but I drive enough of that road in real life and I'm not inclined to drive it virtually right now  :crazy:  I-695 around Baltimore could be another possibility.

I remember a post on MTR that said that one direction of the Beltway did indeed have such a lane. Of course, this was before the Springfield interchange was reconfigured and the new Wilson bridge was built, so I'm pretty sure that is not the case with the current lane configurations. https://groups.google.com/g/misc.transport.road/c/YpGzeRs_JxE/m/hjEPRZS3Y1EJ
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.