News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Numbered "exits" which aren't really exits

Started by TheGrassGuy, February 12, 2021, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 17, 2021, 07:01:14 PM
For reasons unknown, Blackburn Circle was never assigned an exit number.

It's not unprecedented. There are two at-grades between Exit 28 and Exit 30 on MA 2, and the cemetery on 128 has no exit number (nor does what I call "Exit 21.05").
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

dvferyance

It no longer exist but I recall the fmr Exit 191 on I-25 in Colorado was more like a quick turnoff then an exit ramp.

SkyPesos

Found this one while randomly browsing GSV: "Exit" 66A left turn from US 6 WB to I-75 SB. Same with 66B on the EB direction for I-75 NB.

KCRoadFan

The "Burnsville Split" in Minnesota, where I-35 northbound divides into 35W and 35E.

At that interchange, 35W is signed as Exit 88A (doubtless because 35E continues the exit numbers from I-35, while 35W has its own series of exit numbers).

However, as can be seen from this Street View, 35W is clearly the dominant roadway, while 35E exits off of it. Because of this (and because 35W came through first - at least, I think so), I think that MNDOT should have given the "default" exit numbers from I-35 to 35W, with 35E using its own numbers.

(In fact, that would be a fun exercise on the "Minnesota Notes" thread or the "Fictional Highways" board: list the exits on 35W and 35E and renumber them as if 35W, rather than 35E, had the "mainline" I-35 exit number sequence assigned to it.)

froggie

^ Yes, 35W predates 35E and 35W serves the higher-populated city of the Twin Cities (both reasons why it appears to be more dominant).  But as with the 20/59 example upthread, the mileposts follow 35E, so 35W gets the exit number.

roadman65

The exits on the arterial portion of NY 9A in Manhattan uses numbers at major intersections.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SkyPesos

Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2021, 10:59:23 AM
The exits on the arterial portion of NY 9A in Manhattan uses numbers at major intersections.
Doesn't NY do that often? I don't count the I-78 exits in NY as actual exits either.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on May 20, 2021, 10:51:12 AM
^ Yes, 35W predates 35E and 35W serves the higher-populated city of the Twin Cities (both reasons why it appears to be more dominant).  But as with the 20/59 example upthread, the mileposts follow 35E, so 35W gets the exit number.

If you flip the script to the Forest Lake split, it's 35W that both has an exit number and is the route that "exits" from I-35. So there's that angle too.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.