HIghway With the Shortest Trip Through a Jurisdiction

Started by ethanhopkin14, February 16, 2021, 10:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacswimmer

Quote from: zzcarp on February 16, 2021, 03:35:00 PM
I-71 in the Cleveland area passes through the village of Linndale for 0.2 miles. Even though there's no direct highway exit, the Linndale police fund their village by constantly running speed traps on I-71.

Sounds like I-295 & Hopewell in VA :spin:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

snowc

Quote from: jmacswimmer on February 16, 2021, 03:45:51 PM
Quote from: zzcarp on February 16, 2021, 03:35:00 PM
I-71 in the Cleveland area passes through the village of Linndale for 0.2 miles. Even though there's no direct highway exit, the Linndale police fund their village by constantly running speed traps on I-71.

Sounds like I-295 & Hopewell in VA :spin:
Been there numerous times, and it's not that bad in regard to speed traps. BUT, there is a speed marker that is on the road and tracks the speeds of speedy drivers.  :banghead:

TheHighwayMan3561

US 2 clips about 2 miles of Aitkin County, MN, just long enough to intersect the eastern terminus of the famed MSR 200 before leaving into St. Louis (eastbound) or Itasca (westbound).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ethanhopkin14

When making this I forgot all about US-160 clipping the northwest corner of New Mexico, just long enough to intersect New Mexico State Highway 597 to access the Four Corners Monument.

https://goo.gl/maps/7EVcSkpb7BQPJK1p9

Steve.S

OH-32 clips the southwest corner of Highland County.  It's 0.37 miles by my Google Earth measurement.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

TheStranger

Once the extension of the Metro Manila Skyway from NLEX to the New Manila International Airport is completed, the segment in Caloocan will be a grand total of 1 mile long - long enough for at least one exit (the ramps to NLEX itself at Libis Baesa).

NAIAX's last kilometer is in Paranaque but the rest of the route is entirely in Pasay.  The westernmost kilometer of NLEX Harbor Link is in Navotas.

---

A very small portion of I-380 clips South San Francisco (at US 101).

Route 35 skirts South San Francisco as well for about 2000 feet, near Westborough Boulevard.  Enough that there is a SSF city limit sign, but not enough that the highway has any SSF street sign blades at any point.

Route 82 (former US 101) just clips about 3 blocks in Hillsborough, near the town's hall.  In SF, Route 82 only lasts for 1919 feet in city limits before ending at I-280 (former Route 82 and US 101).

The final easternmost few feet of unsigned Route 244 at Auburn Boulevard are in the City of Sacramento.

Route 128 dips into Solano County for a mere 3/4 mile near Monticello Dam between Napa County and Yolo County.
Chris Sampang

pianocello

I-294 spends about 200 feet within Chicago's city limits near O'Hare.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

1995hoo

It looks like this road crosses into West Virginia for about 300 feet before returning to Virginia.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

There is a section of IA 330 that nicks a corner of a county. It was a stop on the two-day 2010 Iowa meet that centered on Marshalltown. I can't remember the name of the county, though.

There's a small section of I-79 in West Virginia that barely nicks a corner of Braxton County. When you enter Braxton from Gilmer, you can see the Lewis County sign just ahead around a slight curve.

There are a few Kentucky state routes that do similar things, such as KY 61 having a brief foray into Metcalfe County between Cumberland and Adair counties.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kenarmy

Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

snowc

NC 55 in Johnston County NC, it only goes for about a brief mile and back to sampson county NC.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on February 16, 2021, 07:18:19 PM
There's a small section of I-79 in West Virginia that barely nicks a corner of Braxton County. When you enter Braxton from Gilmer, you can see the Lewis County sign just ahead around a slight curve.

You've got them backwards.  It's a sliver of Gilmer County.  There's about 40 miles of I-79 in Braxton County, but with only 6 exits.  Fun fact: before I-79 was completed to the Burnsville exit, there was a temporary exit at Gem at what is now signed as WV-5.  We were greatly disappointed when they closed the Gem exit and forced us to go up to Burnsville, then backtrack to get over to Copen (the center of the universe for Irish mountain music).

wxfree

TX 115 crosses three county lines in quick succession.  Going northeast, it crosses from Andrews County into Martin County.  I measure 0.35 mile until it crosses into Gaines County.  I measure 0.16 mile until it crosses into Dawson County.  Somewhere online I've seen a photo in which you can see three county line crossings in one image.

I don't know how this works in other states, although I'd assume the laws are similar, but in Texas cities prefer not to build infrastructure outside of their boundaries.  A city can actually annex a piece of land that isn't attached to the rest of the city if it owns that land.  That way there are no tax or property rights implications, but the city can enforce its ordinances on the property it owns, and use city police and fire services there.  One result is that cities sometimes annex long, narrow strips of land for something like a pipeline.  An example I'm familiar with is Stamford, which annexed land for a water line out to Lake Stamford.  FM 600 crosses that strip at just about a right angle.  According to TxDOT's Statewide Planning Map, that section through the city is about 65 feet.  I don't know how accurate that is, but it's somewhere in that range.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

MinecraftNinja

US route 212 spends very little time in Wyoming.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: wxfree on February 16, 2021, 10:28:28 PM
An example I'm familiar with is Stamford, which annexed land for a water line out to Lake Stamford.  FM 600 crosses that strip at just about a right angle.

Weird.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: wxfree on February 16, 2021, 10:28:28 PM
TX 115 crosses three county lines in quick succession.  Going northeast, it crosses from Andrews County into Martin County.  I measure 0.35 mile until it crosses into Gaines County.  I measure 0.16 mile until it crosses into Dawson County.  Somewhere online I've seen a photo in which you can see three county line crossings in one image.

I don't know how this works in other states, although I'd assume the laws are similar, but in Texas cities prefer not to build infrastructure outside of their boundaries.  A city can actually annex a piece of land that isn't attached to the rest of the city if it owns that land.  That way there are no tax or property rights implications, but the city can enforce its ordinances on the property it owns, and use city police and fire services there.  One result is that cities sometimes annex long, narrow strips of land for something like a pipeline.  An example I'm familiar with is Stamford, which annexed land for a water line out to Lake Stamford.  FM 600 crosses that strip at just about a right angle.  According to TxDOT's Statewide Planning Map, that section through the city is about 65 feet.  I don't know how accurate that is, but it's somewhere in that range.

Here we go.  If you pan around you can see all three county line signs. 

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

I-75 clips the NW corner of Taymouth Township, MI in Saginaw County for about a mile and a half. People would most likely be unaware that they are even in Taymouth Township because it's between the Bridgeport and Birch Run exits and you think that Birch Run Township is directly south of Bridgeport Township but that isn't the case. Birch Run Township is south of Frankenmuth Township and Taymouth Township is south of Bridgeport Township. I never paid much attention to it until I saw it on my GPS say Taymouth Township, MI I had always figured when I hit Townline Road I was coming into Birch Run or Bridgeport in the other direction not having to go through Taymouth first. I-75 runs NW and SE on the stretch between MM 136 and 144.

hbelkins

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 16, 2021, 08:20:15 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 16, 2021, 07:18:19 PM

You've got them backwards.  It's a sliver of Gilmer County.

I was afraid I'd do that, and didn't look at a map to verify.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Jim

I-75 very briefly cuts a corner of DeSoto County, Florida.  I don't know how long it is, but I know when you see the DeSoto County sign in each direction, you can see the next county sign (Sarasota NB, Charlotte SB) just up the road.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

I-55

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2021, 02:57:44 PM
Curious to know...

Who maintains the portions of BC-97 that are north of the Yukon border?  For example, whose bridge is this?  Similarly, who maintains the portion of YK-1 that is south of the British Columbia border?

From the Wikipedia entry on the Alaska Highway
The British Columbia government owns the first 82.6 miles (132.9 km) of the highway, the only portion paved during the late 1960s and 1970s. Public Works Canada manages the highway from Mile 82.6 (km 133) to Historic Mile 630. The Yukon government owns the highway from Historic Mile 630 to Historic Mile 1016 (from near Watson Lake to Haines Junction), and manages the remainder to the U.S. border at Historic Mile 1221. The State of Alaska owns the highway within that state (Mile 1221 to Mile 1422).

The portion of reference is near mile 560-570.

(unrelated) the postal code for Yukon is YT. I only mention this because YK is my home state postal code in my fictional maps and I made sure it wasn't an existing postal code before establishing it. When I saw YK it crossed my mind as a red flag. Don't think I'm calling you out, it took me four years to remember IA instead of IO.  :pan:
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

PHLBOS

MA 128 only goes through Essex for about 0.6 miles.

I-95 only goes through Ridley Park (Delaware County), PA for about 0.5 miles.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: I-55 on February 17, 2021, 06:32:37 PM
(unrelated) the postal code for Yukon is YT. I only mention this because YK is my home state postal code in my fictional maps and I made sure it wasn't an existing postal code before establishing it. When I saw YK it crossed my mind as a red flag. Don't think I'm calling you out, it took me four years to remember IA instead of IO.  :pan:

I use YK and YT interchangeably.

Quote from: Wikipedia:  Canadian postal abbreviations for provinces and territories
YK is common but not official. It is used as the second-level country code domain (.yk.ca).

Quote from: Emond Publishing:  Style Guide:  Canadian and US Abbreviations

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.