Interstate in One State, but Both Directions Have Control Cities in Other States

Started by ethanhopkin14, February 23, 2021, 12:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

How many times are there interstates that exist in one state and the northbound and southbound control cities are cities in other states at one interchange?  I-15 in Arizona made me think of this.  With a north control city of Salt Lake City and a south control city of Las Vegas. 

This doesn't have to be just interstates.  I only mentioned interstates because they have much further control cities and are more apt to this situation. 

NWI_Irish96

In Indianapolis, I-65, I-70, and I-74 all use out of state cities for control cities in both directions.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SkyPesos

I-70 in Illinois uses St Louis and Indianapolis

I-64 in Illinois and Indiana uses St Louis and Louisville

I-65 in Louisville uses Indianapolis and Nashville

I-75 in Lexington uses Cincinnati and Knoxville

I-270 in St Louis uses Memphis and Chicago

OCGuy81

thspfc

I-90 in Chicago uses Wisconsin and Indiana (here we go again). Ditto for I-94, and maybe I-80 as well with Iowa and Indiana but I'm not sure.

I-15 in Arizona uses Vegas and SLC.

thspfc

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 23, 2021, 01:30:01 PM
Doesn't I-294 use Wisconsin and Indiana for its control cities?
And I-90 and 94. 94 has both Wisconsin and Milwaukee IIRC.

Big John

hbelkins

I-65 in Nashville: Louisville and Huntsville.

I-81 in Hagerstown: Roanoke and Harrisburg.

When I-26 is done in North Carolina, I suspect it will have Spartanburg and Johnson City.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ran4sh

• I-95 in Florence SC uses Fayetteville NC and Savannah GA.
  • I-95 at the I-16 junction near Savannah GA uses Florence SC and Jacksonville FL (although Brunswick is also used as a secondary destination)
  • I-24 in GA is between Chattanooga TN and Nashville TN
  • I-59 in GA uses Birmingham AL and Chattanooga TN

There are going to be plenty of answers from the Northeast and the Northeast Corridor due to how short the distances are between state lines for a lot of routes.

• I-95 in Baltimore MD uses New York NY and Washington DC
  • I-81 in MD uses Harrisburg PA and Roanoke VA
  • NJ Turnpike (although this section is not an Interstate) in southern NJ uses New York NY as well as an out-of-state destination southbound
  • I-95 in NY uses New Haven CT and Trenton NJ (this was true even before the I-95 gap was filled)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: ran4sh on February 23, 2021, 03:58:30 PM
I-24 in GA is between Chattanooga TN and Nashville TN

I thought about this situation being a possibility.  I didn't quite spell it out when making the post, but the two control cities should be in different states as well, that discredits any route that "dips" into a state. 

SkyPesos

Speaking of Georgia, thought I remember seeing a one off sign of I-75 SB have a control city of Tampa somewhere in the Atlanta area. Normally, it's Macon though.

ethanhopkin14

I thought this was a possibility, but thought it was also farfetched, but this is from Flagstaff, AZ showing Albuquerque and Los Angeles for I-40

ran4sh

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 23, 2021, 04:24:25 PM
Speaking of Georgia, thought I remember seeing a one off sign of I-75 SB have a control city of Tampa somewhere in the Atlanta area. Normally, it's Macon though.

The signs for Tampa only exist along the route GDOT wants that traffic to use, and not the intersecting routes. So, north of Atlanta the ramp from I-75 to I-285 West lists Tampa (specifically "Birmingham/Tampa"), but Tampa is not shown for I-285 west coming from any other direction. Then south of Atlanta, the ramp from I-285 Eastbound to I-75 South has both Macon and Tampa. The Northbound control city from that point is Atlanta, so it doesn't qualify as an example for this thread.

Although I guess if you wanted to count the numerous instances where the 2 directions of I-285 have control cities in another state, then you could.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

mhking

Just above the Cobb Cloverleaf on I-75 SB, the control cities for 285 WB/SB are Birmingham/Tampa.

mhking

Quote from: ran4sh on February 23, 2021, 04:53:35 PM

The signs for Tampa only exist along the route GDOT wants that traffic to use, and not the intersecting routes. So, north of Atlanta the ramp from I-75 to I-285 West lists Tampa (specifically "Birmingham/Tampa"), but Tampa is not shown for I-285 west coming from any other direction. Then south of Atlanta, the ramp from I-285 Eastbound to I-75 South has both Macon and Tampa. The Northbound control city from that point is Atlanta, so it doesn't qualify as an example for this thread.

Although I guess if you wanted to count the numerous instances where the 2 directions of I-285 have control cities in another state, then you could.

"What he said..."

zachary_amaryllis

its been a long time since i've been there...

... but i want to say the short stretch of i-70 in wv is posted columbus one way, and [some city], pa the other..
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

pianocello

Indiana Toll Road: Chicago / Ohio

I-35 in Des Moines: Kansas City / Minneapolis
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

cwf1701

ilpt4u

I-24 in Illinois uses Nashville EB and *kinda maybe sorta makes a single reference to* St Louis WB

roadman65

I-80 sort of in NJ. If Delaware Water Gap is referring to the Monroe County, PA village it would count as so from the Delaware River to Paterson anyway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I-287 in Bedminster, NJ for I-78 uses Easton, PA and New York. City.
I-70 in Hagerstown, MD uses Roanoke and Harrisburg for I-81.  The funny thing is the former is two states away.

Sheryl Crowe

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on February 23, 2021, 03:55:55 PM
When I-26 is done in North Carolina, I suspect it will have Spartanburg and Johnson City.

I doubt it.  North Carolina is one of those states that prefers to post Control Cities within its own state until there are no other options.  I-95 in North Carolina should be posted with Richmond and Savannah throughout the state (another state skipper).

roadman65

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 23, 2021, 07:45:52 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 23, 2021, 03:55:55 PM

I doubt it.  North Carolina is one of those states that prefers to post Control Cities within its own state until there are no other options.  I-95 in North Carolina should be posted with Richmond and Savannah throughout the state (another state skipper).

I thought Richmond is used at Rocky Mount.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 23, 2021, 07:26:49 PM
I-24 in Illinois uses Nashville EB and *kinda maybe sorta makes a single reference to* St Louis WB

One supplemental sign a control city does not make.     :pan: ← That's me trying to beat that sign out of your mind.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ztonyg

I-40 in Arizona uses Los Angeles and Albuquerque as control cities at it's interchange with I-17.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.