Was New Jersey the only state to consider phones a service

Started by roadman65, February 24, 2021, 11:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I always remember seeing Gas-Phone- Food- Lodging on NJ Freeways exit service signs. Outside NJ it was just Gas- Food- Lodging.

Was that just a Jersey thing or did other states denote the old pay phones too on their blue exit service signs?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on February 24, 2021, 11:16:49 AM
I always remember seeing Gas-Phone- Food- Lodging on NJ Freeways exit service signs. Outside NJ it was just Gas- Food- Lodging.

Was that just a Jersey thing or did other states denote the old pay phones too on their blue exit service signs?
Lots of others did as well.  Hard to think of any state east of the Mississippi that didn't at least somewhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

Those were posted in several other states back in the day.

jeffandnicole

At least 2 locations in NJ where you still will find these outdated phone signs still posted.  No guarantee there's an actual phone off the exit though...

I-295 South approaching Exit 17:  https://goo.gl/maps/A5h8f4LX4RnKUttp6

I-295 North on the Exit 43 off-ramp: https://goo.gl/maps/62fnkYhPVx4ozJ316

FrCorySticha

Montana will still post service signs with a phone, especially in areas where cell coverage is weak to non-existent. https://goo.gl/maps/hKuN5L3KHPtpGhDk9

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2021, 12:49:21 PM
AFAIK, Minnesota only does for rest areas, not for regular exits.

Quote from: FrCorySticha on February 24, 2021, 02:51:33 PM
Montana will still post service signs with a phone, especially in areas where cell coverage is weak to non-existent. https://goo.gl/maps/hKuN5L3KHPtpGhDk9

Do they also do so at non-rest area exits?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I recall there being some pull-off areas on the Thruway once upon a time that didn't have toilets or services but did have drive-up pay phones where the driver could roll down the window to use a pay phone without getting out of the car. I remember this fairly clearly for two reasons: (1) My father was getting frustrated because his call wasn't going through and I kept trying to tell him that I could see he was dialling the wrong area code ("518" when Brooklyn is "718"); (2) Meanwhile, my brother was feeling lousy and took advantage of the phone stop to get out of the car and use a barf bag (don't know why he didn't just puke in the grass). I'm pretty sure the trip must have been in 1984 because I remember the bag had French wording all over it, and 1984 was the year we took a family vacation all over Quebec and came home down I-91, across VT-9 and NY-7 to Albany, and then down the Thruway for a stop in Brooklyn to visit relatives.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2021, 03:08:16 PM

Dumb question, but what is that second service sign that looks like a phone with a keyboard?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 24, 2021, 04:36:33 PM

Dumb question, but what is that second service sign that looks like a phone with a keyboard?
TTY
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

FrCorySticha

Yes, Montana does. My link was for a regular exit to St. Regis, MT.

kphoger

Quote from: FrCorySticha on February 24, 2021, 04:50:25 PM

Ah, OK.  I saw an entirely blue sign with [VISITOR INFO] and assumed it wasn't a regular exit.
Male pronouns, please.

ran4sh

At least on the logo signs ("Specific Service" signs), before cell phones, it would have been a requirement for some of the categories of businesses to have a public phone in order to be included on the sign. So specifying "Phone" separately wasn't really necessary. It's not that those other states didn't consider public phones a service or anything like that.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

PurdueBill

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2021, 05:05:45 PM
Quote from: FrCorySticha on February 24, 2021, 04:50:25 PM

Ah, OK.  I saw an entirely blue sign with [VISITOR INFO] and assumed it wasn't a regular exit.

It is basically the same as this one from Indiana which included a Visitors Center at the exit.  And Phone!!  Unfortunately, such signs seem to disappear when they do heavy work and not come back.  North of there for the SR 25 interchange there were button copy worded blue signs that included PHONE and had FOOD and GAS-LODGING pried off before the signs disappeared too.  (I remember it being a full house once long ago.)  This specimen on I-70 has everything but PHONE, showing Indiana's old standard locations on the sign for all the services in text.  More modern Indiana ones use symbols (and this and one for US 40 Exit 156 include Phone!). 

kphoger

Here is an ambiguous one in Illinois.  Which rest area has TTY?  The one coming up, or the one 67 miles down the road?  Or both?

67 miles down the road, in contrast, is this less-ambiguous sign.
Male pronouns, please.

tq-07fan

In Ohio the word Phone was spelled out on a separate long blue sign under the Rest Area sign in a lot of places. Someone spray painted E.T. Phone Home and it made the front page of the paper.

Jim

sharkyfour

Connecticut definitely still has some signs up, but 90% of them or more don't actually have a public phone anymore.

cbeach40

and waterrrrrrr!

ErmineNotyours

PHONE spelled out.  I actually broke down to this exit and Park & Ride, and called my dad on my cell phone to tell him I wasn't going to make the visit.

interstatefan990

Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.