News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest distances between freeway exits

Started by golden eagle, June 16, 2010, 12:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I guess you can call it a freeway, but the longest I can think of is the causeway over Lake Ponchatrain. The bridge itself is about 24 miles, but I'm not sure how far the two closest exits on either side of the bridge are from the end of the bridge. I guess you can say it's 26 miles total, give or take a little.

Jim

The Mass Pike (I-90) between Exits 2 and 3 tops that.  It's about 29 miles.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

TheStranger

Quote from: golden eagle on June 16, 2010, 12:19:09 PM
I guess you can call it a freeway, but the longest I can think of is the causeway over Lake Ponchatrain. The bridge itself is about 24 miles, but I'm not sure how far the two closest exits on either side of the bridge are from the end of the bridge. I guess you can say it's 26 miles total, give or take a little.

On an interstate, the longest distance between exits is 37 miles (Exits 4 and 41) on Interstate 80 in western Utah...

The 51 mile distance between today's exits 193 and 244 on the Florida's Turnpike is often cited, but there is a service plaza at milepost 230 (and a new exit 240 recently added to narrow the gap a bit as well).
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

I could've sworn we've had this topic before, but when I attempted to find it (to merge the two together), I did not.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

triplemultiplex

Looks like the best Wisconsin can do is the ~14 miles between exits 92 (US 12) & 106 (WI 33) on I-90/94 between Portage & The Dells.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

akotchi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 16, 2010, 12:47:43 PM
I could've sworn we've had this topic before, but when I attempted to find it (to merge the two together), I did not.
I recall discussing this before, too, but perhaps as a tangent of something else. . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

topay

Virginia doesn't have any longer than 10 miles, and we barely get that.  That would be the 10-mile gap on I-81 between Exits 118 (Christiansburg) and 128 (Ironto).

Duke87

Quote from: akotchi on June 16, 2010, 05:00:04 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 16, 2010, 12:47:43 PM
I recall discussing this before, too, but perhaps as a tangent of something else. . .

Found it!

Service-free sections of interstate
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheStranger

Duke87: Thanks!  Amazingly, I don't think that thread quite answers the question here, if only because the long service-free stretch mentioned (from Exits 61 to 260 on I-90 in South Dakota) isn't necessarily as long as noted (due to Wall Drug at Exit 109) and still involves other exits between the three listed.

The oft-referenced Florida's Turnpike example is tricky since while it is true there is a (now) 47 mile stretch between exit points, the service plaza makes it only a 37 mile gap between ramps (equalling that of I-80 in western Utah).
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on June 17, 2010, 11:43:12 AM
I don't think that thread quite answers the question here

indeed, I was thinking of a different thread that explicitly addressed the distance between exits.  Wonder where it went.  Well, knowing how this board operates, it was probably a tangential discussion inside a completely unrelated thread.

jake@aaroads.com

xcellntbuy

Quote from: topay on June 17, 2010, 08:33:58 AM
Virginia doesn't have any longer than 10 miles, and we barely get that.  That would be the 10-mile gap on I-81 between Exits 118 (Christiansburg) and 128 (Ironto).

And, one of the most beautiful sections of Interstate 81 to travel through, I may add.

Brandon

If we're doing this by state, then the longest distance in Illinois is 22 miles on I-88 between Exits 54 and 76 (Dixon and Rochelle).  The ISTHA has a few other competing stretchs of 17 and 13 miles or so.  IDOT usually doesn't have much longer than 12 miles.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadfro

The longest distance between freeway exits in Nevada is on I-80 between Exit 48 (Fernley east) and Exit 65 (Nightingale Hot Springs), a mere 17 miles--this distance will decrease in the future with the completion of a new interchange near Fernley, which is under construction about a mile or two east of Exit 48.

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cjk374

I think Utah may win this contest.  I think it's on I-80 between exits 2 and 64 thru the Bonneville salt flats (I have no map in front of me, but I remember looking at it in a road atlas).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Bickendan

Nope. The gap on I-80 is 37 miles, from exit 4 to 41.

BC97C has an approximate 20 mile gap from its eastern end to its next exit.

D-Dey65

9/11 Conspiracy Freak guru Alex Jones thinks toll road interchanges are specifically placed 50 miles apart.

:-D   :spin:

Perhaps he should tell that to the people who've driven on the New York State Thruway and New Jersey Turnpike.

:happy: :-P  :pan:

njroadhorse

The longest distance between interchanges in New Jersey is a measly 13.3 between Exits 2 and 3 on the New Jersey Turnpike.  While not continuous over both directions, there is a 14 mile gap between Exit 38 and Exit 50 on the Parkway North.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

roadfro

BUMP!

Saw this USA Today article posted to the Yahoo Roadgeek list.
Top 16 longest gaps between Interstate exits

It's been noted in that group that the I-70 in Colorado entry is incorrect, as there is an exit 62 serving the town of De Beque.

It is interesting in that only the top 6 longest distances are over 30 miles. I just assumed there would be more long distances out there.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

http://www.roadfan.com/mtrfaq.html#a362

Q: What is the longest distance between interchanges?

A: In the U.S., there are 51 miles southbound and 49 miles northbound between Exit 193 (US-441/FL-60) and Exits 242/244 (US-192/441), and 41 miles between Exit 152 (FL-70) and Exit 193, on Florida's Turnpike. There are 37 miles between Exit 4 (Bonneville Speedway) and Exit 41 (Knolls) on I-80 in western Utah, the longest stretch on both a free highway and a publicly-numbered highway (Florida's Turnpike is officially FL-91 but there are no references to that in the field). There are also no services between these two I-80 exits, just a pair of rest areas (the two Florida's Turnpike stretches listed above both have a median service area along them). See Question 6.10 for the longest stretch between services on an Interstate and Question 6.10.1 for the longest stretch on an Interstate between other Interstates. Jun 10, 2005
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jemacedo9

In the USA Today article, it lists I-70 as two separate lines.  First:  that's the PA Turnpike, which is I-70 AND I-76...and second:  a Brotherton Rd ramp?  Is that relatively new or an error in the article?

ftballfan

Longest in Michigan: Likely 14 miles between Exit 359 and Exit 373 along I-75 in the eastern Upper Peninsula.

Lightning Strike

I find it ironic that Western Texas, for as big and desolate in some places it can be there are not too many big gaps on I-10

agentsteel53

Quote from: Lightning Strike on August 16, 2011, 10:32:57 PM
I find it ironic that Western Texas, for as big and desolate in some places it can be there are not too many big gaps on I-10

the gaps get even smaller when you factor in the at-grade crossings for ranches.  not that you will find any services at a lot of them, but opportunities to leave the freeway occur every 8-10 miles at most.

jake@aaroads.com

v35322

It looks like the longest gaps in Colorado are:

I-70 - the 13 miles on either side of De Beque, and also the 13 miles (according to Rand McNally) between Burlington and the Kansas state line.

I-25 - 7 miles in three different places (42-49, 174-181 and 271-278).

I-76 - 13 miles (102-115).

thenetwork

Quote from: v35322 on August 17, 2011, 01:54:43 AM
It looks like the longest gaps in Colorado are:

I-70 - the 13 miles on either side of De Beque,

And those 13-mile segments are endangered as there are definite plans for a new exit about 2 miles west of Parachute's Exit 75, as part of a northwest truck bypass of Parachute, and (I believe) a study on another new interchange -- this time a couple of miles west of DeBeque's Exit 62 to serve a new truck hauling company's HQ along the northern Frontage Road.

As far as the new DeBeque interchange being considered, it would make a lot of sense to make it at least a partial-diamond interchange (EB off/WB on) at the point where the North Frontage Road/Old US 6 and the South Frontage Road dead end, save for the "U-Turn Overpass" which connects the ends of the frontage roads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.