Regional Boards > Southeast

How in the world did the Louisiana West Bank get a Business Banner?

(1/3) > >>

roadman65:
An age old question to be asking, but how did US 90 Business get bannered as such from New Orleans to Elmwood, LA? Considering it goes through no business districts along its almost all freeway route and it’s built to better standards than the mainline US 90 it bypasses as US 90 is mostly arterial with many stoplights between the two business endpoints.

The Ghostbuster:
As you all are likely aware, the freeway segment of US 90 Business was proposed and approved to be given the Interstate 910 designation in 1999. It was to be used as a temporary Interstate designation until the Interstate 49 extension from Lafeyette and New Orleans was completed. However, Louisiana's DOTD did not go forward with the designation, so US 90 Business will remain a business route until 49 is completed.

bwana39:
It was built in the late fifties / early 1960's. It was before the time anyone thought of freeways being numbered as State highways. So it was numbered as US-90 Business. At that point virtually all of the federally financed highways everywhere carried US (or later, IH) highway numbers.

This designation is a really old holdover from the late 1950's. So I have read there was discussion to label it as US-90 and relabel US-90 as the business route, but at the time there was still discussion of the eventual upgrade of Either Jefferson Highway or Earhart Street to freeway and connect it to downtown (via Claiborne Ave.) as freeway. The connector between the east end of Earhart Expressway and Claiborne Avenue is still undeveloped. (So is between the same point on Earhart and Airline Hwy.)

Politics dictated to call the new road the business route and retain US-90 on the east bank.  There was an opportunity to relabel it as I-910 but between the expense and the (at the time perceived) short time frame until it would be re-labeled as a through interstate it was never changed.

roadman65:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 13, 2023, 01:05:34 PM ---As you all are likely aware, the freeway segment of US 90 Business was proposed and approved to be given the Interstate 910 designation in 1999. It was to be used as a temporary Interstate designation until the Interstate 49 extension from Lafeyette and New Orleans was completed. However, Louisiana's DOTD did not go forward with the designation, so US 90 Business will remain a business route until 49 is completed.

--- End quote ---

Another question is why US 190 Business in Slidell a business route when the mainline serves the business district and the business route serves residential areas of the city with no business activities. Not to mention that US 190 Business is a spur and not a loop as it terminates at US 11 on its west end.

Seems like LaDOTD needs a 101 on how to label highways.

bwana39:

--- Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2023, 04:03:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 13, 2023, 01:05:34 PM ---As you all are likely aware, the freeway segment of US 90 Business was proposed and approved to be given the Interstate 910 designation in 1999. It was to be used as a temporary Interstate designation until the Interstate 49 extension from Lafeyette and New Orleans was completed. However, Louisiana's DOTD did not go forward with the designation, so US 90 Business will remain a business route until 49 is completed.

--- End quote ---

Another question is why US 190 Business in Slidell a business route when the mainline serves the business district and the business route serves residential areas of the city with no business activities. Not to mention that US 190 Business is a spur and not a loop as it terminates at US 11 on its west end.

Seems like LaDOTD needs a 101 on how to label highways.

--- End quote ---
Business US-190 was the original. When the new US-190 was built (in the early-1970's) it was a somewhat rural bypass. That was over 50 years ago. Old downtown Slidell is just south of Business 190 just east of US-11. US-190 has turned into the de facto commercial district but it is like this almost everywhere. the current US-190 east of US-11 actually was completed almost concurrently to I-10. I-12 west of Slidell was still not open. I-12 from US-11 to I-10 was complete, but it would be assumed much of the traffic continued on US-190 to I-10 even after that completion then. The next year I-12 was opened to the (rural) SH-434. The reason for the obtuse curve at the east end of Slidell on US-190 was due to a cancelled extension out to I-10.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version