News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Greetings from Northern Virginia

Started by 1995hoo, April 28, 2011, 05:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I've known about the AARoads site for years and contributed a couple of pictures a long time ago but never really noticed the forum. I stumbled across it earlier this week in the course of doing a Google search for something to do with New Jersey Turnpike signage and thought I ought to sign up. I'm not involved in the transportation industry (I practice law), but my wife tells me I should start up some sort of blog to complain about poorly-designed or just flat-out erroneous road signs in the DC area because she says that complaining about traffic and the roads borders on a religious obsession for me. What can I say, ever since I was a little kid I've liked to look at maps and to know multiple different ways to get everywhere and to take different routes just for the sake of going a different way. (Living in the DC area, it obviously pays off to know as many different routes as possible.)

I recognize some of the names on this forum from other sites I occasionally visit, but unless the gentleman who goes by "thetan" on Dr. Gridlock's blog (and who I recognize to be posting under his real name on certain other sites) posts here, then I doubt I've ever interacted with most of you. Still, a brief perusal suggested that the people here like to talk about the things that my wife says are the subject of my rants.

So hopefully I have found an outlet for the occasional constructive commentary, though I doubt that means she will be spared the discussion when we're in the car.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Welcome to the forum, from a Huntington resident.  Besides Dr. Gridlock, what other local sites do you visit?

1995hoo

I don't really post on any, I just lurk occasionally on misc.transport.road, and I've seen your username periodically on Greater Greater Washington (a site I occasionally visit, but not often) and on some of the other road-specific sites such as your Virginia highways site.

Henry

Welcome from a fellow roadgeek in Seattle!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mtantillo

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 28, 2011, 05:37:53 PM
I recognize some of the names on this forum from other sites I occasionally visit, but unless the gentleman who goes by "thetan" on Dr. Gridlock's blog (and who I recognize to be posting under his real name on certain other sites) posts here, then I doubt I've ever interacted with most of you.

(waves)

I use a more generic name for WaPo, and it represents the Theta chapter of the fraternity I was in during grad school/college.  Also, only one letter off from TheTant, an old nickname and my old license plate "number". 

1995hoo

Quote from: mtantillo on June 25, 2011, 01:42:17 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 28, 2011, 05:37:53 PM
I recognize some of the names on this forum from other sites I occasionally visit, but unless the gentleman who goes by "thetan" on Dr. Gridlock's blog (and who I recognize to be posting under his real name on certain other sites) posts here, then I doubt I've ever interacted with most of you.

(waves)

I use a more generic name for WaPo, and it represents the Theta chapter of the fraternity I was in during grad school/college.  Also, only one letter off from TheTant, an old nickname and my old license plate "number". 

Yup, I had figured out who you were a while back because I saw one of your posts on misc.transport.road that crossposted a dashboard-view video I had posted on Dr. Gridlock's blog.

roadman65

Hey speaking of Northern Virginia, what ever happened to ethanman86941 or whatever his user name was?  I miss his posts as they gave me a good laugh especially the one where we can do 65 mph on VA 28 and use his name here on the forum to get out of a speeding citation.  Then someone else said that VA 28 should be narrowed in his honor as response to all of his silly questions .

I know he was ridiculous, but I often need humor after a bad day's work and a hectic drive through Orlando, FL.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on March 11, 2012, 07:14:53 PM
Hey speaking of Northern Virginia, what ever happened to ethanman86941 or whatever his user name was?  I miss his posts as they gave me a good laugh especially the one where we can do 65 mph on VA 28 and use his name here on the forum to get out of a speeding citation.  Then someone else said that VA 28 should be narrowed in his honor as response to all of his silly questions .

I know he was ridiculous, but I often need humor after a bad day's work and a hectic drive through Orlando, FL.

I believe he was banned. He posted some bizarre stuff in purple text (like the moderators use) admonishing people in strange ways about the contents of various posts.

The post to which you refer about narrowing VA-28 was one of mine.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 13, 2012, 12:23:41 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 11, 2012, 07:14:53 PM

I believe he was banned. He posted some bizarre stuff in purple text (like the moderators use) admonishing people in strange ways about the contents of various posts.

The post to which you refer about narrowing VA-28 was one of mine.

You know what was weird about his posts that someone else like him posted the same silly questions, the same time he existed, and vanished the same time he did.  Maybe he was using two names as agentsteel stated when he referred to both as a redacted fungible commodity in one post.  I did not think you could double register, but then again I worked in a hotel and had two people from different areas of the globe be the same pain in the ass come to patronize the room service facility at the same time.  Or better yet when you have two idiots on the road make the same illegal turn to go nowhere with both drivers not even knowing each other and just there at the same time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.