Regional Boards > Mid-South

Dallas - Fort Worth: I-635 toll lanes

(1/2) > >>

mightyace:
Cintra, Meridiam, Dallas cops/fire pension concessionaire for TX/I-635 toll lanes

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/4035

These are additional lanes.

Greybear:
Should be interesting. I-635 (LBJ Freeway) across North Dallas has always been one huge bottleneck for years. Let's hope this helps.

Chris:
Interesting plan, you don't see a depressed tollway with freeway lanes on top of them often. But I think the construction costs are fairly high, aren't elevated tollway lanes cheaper?

mightyace:

--- Quote from: Chris on March 05, 2009, 07:40:08 AM ---Interesting plan, you don't see a depressed tollway with freeway lanes on top of them often. But I think the construction costs are fairly high, aren't elevated tollway lanes cheaper?

--- End quote ---

Maybe, but I'd guess maintenance would be lower as you have less roadway that is exposed to the air on the bottom plus the ground is supporting the upper (freeway) lanes instead of concrete posts.  And, that's important as it can still get cold in Dallas/Fort Worth.

Gridlock:
Originially the HOT lanes were to be in tunnels, but this modified setup is to save costs.  They had an environmental mandate not to make the ROW wider nor the visual impact taller, thus elevated lanes were not considered.

This set up is also supposedly quicker and less disruptive to construct than the other scenarios.

This cantilevered approach is already used on US 75 in Dallas where the feeder roads are partially over the mainlane trench due to ROW constraints.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version