News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: Buck87 on February 01, 2024, 01:22:35 PM
Here's a full list of the 28 projects that applied for TRAC funding:
https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/programs/trac/past-apps/2023-apps

You can click on any of them to see the pdf of the application, which include basic maps if you scroll down far enough

18 of the projects were selected for the draft list, and the final list will be voted on at the Feb 28 TRAC meeting

And for shots and giggles, ODOT throws a little bit of money towards the Innerbelt rebuild in Cleveland -- a project I likely won't see finished in my lifetime. 

And yet, the Central Interchange in Akron is on its 2nd or 3rd rebuild in the last 40 years...

Buck87

The Norwood Lateral in Cincinnati (OH 562) will be closed in stages this year, the eastbound side for 80 days begining March 11 and the westbound side for 80 days begining in early June:

https://www.wlwt.com/article/norwood-lateral-oh-562-closed-traffic-project/46651270

TempoNick

Quote from: Buck87 on February 05, 2024, 08:35:29 PM
The Norwood Lateral in Cincinnati (OH 562) will be closed in stages this year, the eastbound side for 80 days begining March 11 and the westbound side for 80 days begining in early June:

https://www.wlwt.com/article/norwood-lateral-oh-562-closed-traffic-project/46651270

It seems like you could get the work done more quickly if they did this more often.

The Ghostbuster

The exits on OH 562 seem to be numbered sequentially (probably a remnant of the state-wide sequentially numbered exits prior to the conversion to milage-based exit in the mid-1970s). Otherwise, the exits would likely be numbered 1A, 1B, and 2.

frankenroad

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 06, 2024, 12:17:17 PM
The exits on OH 562 seem to be numbered sequentially (probably a remnant of the state-wide sequentially numbered exits prior to the conversion to milage-based exit in the mid-1970s). Otherwise, the exits would likely be numbered 1A, 1B, and 2.

Actually, the exit numbers are relatively recent (long after Ohio went to mileage-based exit numbers).  I want to say the exit numbers were added maybe 20 or 25 years ago; prior to that there were no exit numbers on 562.

I think the exit numbers were chosen to make more sense to motorists, since the whole road is only 2.5 miles long. 
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

carbaugh2

Here is the full draft TRAC list that is open for public comment. The prior list only had new additions.

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/wps/wcm/connect/gov/c9c8154b-ea80-43ed-bcb5-967698063dd6/DRAFT+2024-2027+Major+New+ConstructIon+Program+List+%281.31.2024%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE.Z18_M1HGGIK0N0JO00QO9DDDDM3000-c9c8154b-ea80-43ed-bcb5-967698063dd6-oR.Ih0P

This also (kind of) answers our questions about funding the widening of 33 from Athens to Darwin. ODOT has a separate pot of money for this project.

GCrites

Quote from: frankenroad on February 14, 2024, 04:07:16 PM

Actually, the exit numbers are relatively recent (long after Ohio went to mileage-based exit numbers).  I want to say the exit numbers were added maybe 20 or 25 years ago; prior to that there were no exit numbers on 562.

I think the exit numbers were chosen to make more sense to motorists, since the whole road is only 2.5 miles long.

If there were parts of 562 that weren't on the lateral you might have seen mileage-based numbering.

Bitmapped

Quote from: GCrites80s on February 14, 2024, 08:33:42 PM
Quote from: frankenroad on February 14, 2024, 04:07:16 PM

If there were parts of 562 that weren't on the lateral you might have seen mileage-based numbering.

Even if they were using mileage-based numbering, fudging things by a mile to avoid suffixes seems like a reasonable practice.

Bitmapped

Quote from: carbaugh2 on February 14, 2024, 08:08:57 PM
Here is the full draft TRAC list that is open for public comment. The prior list only had new additions.

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/wps/wcm/connect/gov/c9c8154b-ea80-43ed-bcb5-967698063dd6/DRAFT+2024-2027+Major+New+ConstructIon+Program+List+%281.31.2024%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE.Z18_M1HGGIK0N0JO00QO9DDDDM3000-c9c8154b-ea80-43ed-bcb5-967698063dd6-oR.Ih0P

This also (kind of) answers our questions about funding the widening of 33 from Athens to Darwin. ODOT has a separate pot of money for this project.

I'm wondering if this was an earmark of some sort, because my understanding was that ODOT was supposed to allocate and approve all of ODOT's large projects. I don't recall seeing "funded by another program" done before in the 25 years TRAC has been around.

carbaugh2

Quote from: Bitmapped on February 15, 2024, 07:38:15 PM
I'm wondering if this was an earmark of some sort, because my understanding was that ODOT was supposed to allocate and approve all of ODOT's large projects. I don't recall seeing "funded by another program" done before in the 25 years TRAC has been around.

It's the first time I seen an entry like that on the TRAC list. Both of the recent Columbus Mega Fixes (71/270 near Grove City and 270/62/670 near Gahanna) were over $100 million in cost but did not appear on any TRAC list. It may be worthing looking back to prior lists (if available) to see how the Nelsonville Bypass was listed because I think it was in a separate tier, although I'm not sure if that was for being in Appalachia or the infrastructure program during Obama's tenure as president.

seicer

Public input sought for Chesapeake Bypass Phase 2

The Ohio Department of Transportation has submitted an application for a Water Quality certification for Phase 2 of the Chesapeake Bypass project and the public is encouraged to provide feedback.

A public meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Chesapeake branch of the Briggs Lawrence County Public Library, located at 11054 County Road 1, Chesapeake.

-

See also:

The phasing map is a little hard to understand at first. Phases 3 and 4 only indicate the dualization of the two-lane portions of the roadway. Phase 2A/2B is what is being considered now.

Something I didn't notice until today is the original right-of-way deviating from the new proposal. If the bypass were built as intended, it would go through a subdivision - which may not have existed when the original bypass stub was completed. I still don't agree with the roundabout at OH 243, but this would be converted to a standard intersection on ultimate build-out. It doesn't appear there will be room for an interchange there.

GCrites

Just a bit of a shave for the subdivision. But yes, weird to see a roundabout on this. Like people get sometimes roads go down to two-lane from four then back to four but they are going to hate braking for a roundabout when most of them know it's going to go back to four soon.

Bitmapped

Quote from: GCrites80s on February 20, 2024, 09:10:19 PM
Just a bit of a shave for the subdivision. But yes, weird to see a roundabout on this. Like people get sometimes roads go down to two-lane from four then back to four but they are going to hate braking for a roundabout when most of them know it's going to go back to four soon.

Building climbing lanes in multiple places, including where both directions will have overlapping climbing lanes making a 4-lane wide roadway, versus just building the second carriageway is an odd choice.

GCrites

Less grading or even blasting I guess considering the terrain.

carbaugh2

roadman65

Someone posted on FB a photo of a typical Turnpike Entrance.  The Ohio Turnpike has a lot to be desired for entrance guides compared to PA and NJ or even what I saw in Indiana.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: carbaugh2 on March 11, 2024, 02:30:39 PM
One super load down, and a lot more to go.

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/about-us/news/statewide/second-super-load-will-head-toward-central-ohio-next-week

Did you get to watch it today when it reached Hebron (other side of Buckeye Lake from Thornville)?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

thenetwork

Quote from: roadman65 on March 11, 2024, 03:27:48 PM
Someone posted on FB a photo of a typical Turnpike Entrance.  The Ohio Turnpike has a lot to be desired for entrance guides compared to PA and NJ or even what I saw in Indiana.

If it's the recent pic I saw,  that's pretty much a gore point exit sign.  More often than not,  there are advance guide signs for the Turnpike -- including exit arrow signs on the major roads. 

There are a few exits with only the gore sign arrow, but years ago, they all had trapezoid signs with arrows before the ramp.

Bottom line is that Turnpike Entrance advanced signage can vary across the state. 

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: thenetwork on March 11, 2024, 07:29:41 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 11, 2024, 03:27:48 PM

If it's the recent pic I saw,  that's pretty much a gore point exit sign.  More often than not,  there are advance guide signs for the Turnpike -- including exit arrow signs on the major roads. 

There are a few exits with only the gore sign arrow, but years ago, they all had trapezoid signs with arrows before the ramp.

Bottom line is that Turnpike Entrance advanced signage can vary across the state. 

I'm pretty sure the picture Roadman65 is referencing is for the Turnpike at Oh 49, up in the NW corner.
Someone on the AAroads team reposted it on the AAroads FB page and it since bounced through two FB groups I subscribe to (probably more)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

carbaugh2

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 11, 2024, 07:25:57 PM
Quote from: carbaugh2 on March 11, 2024, 02:30:39 PM
One super load down, and a lot more to go.

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/about-us/news/statewide/second-super-load-will-head-toward-central-ohio-next-week

Did you get to watch it today when it reached Hebron (other side of Buckeye Lake from Thornville)?

I was at the office when it rolled through, but my mom sent me a few shots while she was looking out from her front porch. I would post them if they were closer up than a couple hundred feet away using an iPhone.

GCrites

Big plans in the Groveport/Canal Winchester/Obetz areas:

Road projects to address future area population and traffic increases

The following are some of the proposed projects to be tackled in the coming years within the Canal Winchester, Groveport, and Obetz areas:

•Widening State Route 317 south of Groveport Road.

•Widening Groveport Road west of State Route 317.

•Widening Alum Creek Drive from I-270 to State Route 317.

•Widening Pontius Road south of Rohr Road.

•Widening U.S. Route 33 from I-270 to Diley Road as well as constructing interchanges at Bixby Road and Pickerington Road.

•Widening Winchester Pike.

•Extending Richardson Road north to meet Ebright Road.

•Building a new road to connect the U.S. 33/Bixby Road interchange with Ebright Road.

https://www.columbusmessenger.com/road-projects-to-address-future-area-population-and-traffic-increases.html

I don't know if the OH-317 work south of Groveport Road is the much-fantasized-about twinning of what is currently an Ohio Super 2 to Alum Creek Pike or is just a 3-4 laning with turn lanes and no median. That Richardson Road-Ebright Road connector is a bit of an "out there" idea in addition to damaging to the park as noted by local pols. But that one is pretty local and low-volume. I might go to the open house to learn more.

TempoNick

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 12, 2024, 08:25:08 PM
Big plans in the Groveport/Canal Winchester/Obetz areas:

Road projects to address future area population and traffic increases

The following are some of the proposed projects to be tackled in the coming years within the Canal Winchester, Groveport, and Obetz areas:

•Widening State Route 317 south of Groveport Road.

•Widening Groveport Road west of State Route 317.

•Widening Alum Creek Drive from I-270 to State Route 317.

•Widening Pontius Road south of Rohr Road.

•Widening U.S. Route 33 from I-270 to Diley Road as well as constructing interchanges at Bixby Road and Pickerington Road.

•Widening Winchester Pike.

•Extending Richardson Road north to meet Ebright Road.

•Building a new road to connect the U.S. 33/Bixby Road interchange with Ebright Road.

https://www.columbusmessenger.com/road-projects-to-address-future-area-population-and-traffic-increases.html

I don't know if the OH-317 work south of Groveport Road is the much-fantasized-about twinning of what is currently an Ohio Super 2 to Alum Creek Pike or is just a 3-4 laning with turn lanes and no median. That Richardson Road-Ebright Road connector is a bit of an "out there" idea in addition to damaging to the park as noted by local pols. But that one is pretty local and low-volume. I might go to the open house to learn more.

I grew up in that area. A US 33 exit ramp dumping out onto a Ebright Road was always puzzling to me since it's mostly residential in the vicinity of the freeway to the South. But with a connector to Groveport Pike and/or Richardson Road, this exit starts making sense. North of 33, an Ebright Road exit makes a little more sense. What that article mentions about Bowen Road makes zero sense at all. Either build a bridge there or completely close it off. People on the Canal Winchester side can easily go to Diley Road if they need to get on 33.

This should probably have been posted in the US 33 thread.

TempoNick

Just just an observation and how little activity the Ohio boards get on this page. It seems like Ohio is built out and anything major and interesting to talk about is almost all complete. Maybe if that outer-outerbelt starts getting underway we might have something more to talk about.

thenetwork

Quote from: TempoNick on March 12, 2024, 08:42:46 PM
Just just an observation and how little activity the Ohio boards get on this page. It seems like Ohio is built out and anything major and interesting to talk about is almost all complete. Maybe if that outer-outerbelt starts getting underway we might have something more to talk about.

The Innerbelt and Dead Man's Curve in Downtown Cleveland have said "Hold Our Beers" for the better part of 3 decades now.

westerninterloper

Quote from: TempoNick on March 12, 2024, 08:42:46 PMJust just an observation and how little activity the Ohio boards get on this page. It seems like Ohio is built out and anything major and interesting to talk about is almost all complete. Maybe if that outer-outerbelt starts getting underway we might have something more to talk about.

A lot of the discussion is happening on Urban Ohio.
Also, the state of Ohio bonded a couple billion dollars several years ago to pay for road improvements within about an hour of the Ohio Turnpike - and most of that construction is now nearing completion. Most of I-75 in Metro Toledo has been completely rebuilt, for example - now construction is almost complete on some construction in I-475. The next major investment is likely to be on US 23 between Columbus and Marion.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.