News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What happened to the handle?

Started by roadman65, November 30, 2018, 10:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I see now many toilets in hotel rooms are using a button on top the tank lid to flush instead of the usual front or side lever.

What is up with this new trend?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Isn't a more efficient way of flushing and largely eliminates the water running via a bad seal?  I always hated jiggling the handle or having to mess with the chain.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Its a strange way to flush after all these years using the handle.  Never had chain issues and as far as leaks it usually came from the float valve assembly not the plunger or plug.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

I think the ones that are set up so that it's a little water for a #1 and a lot for a #2 are great. I even saw a toilet in England that had a sink built into the top, where the graywater from the sink was used to fill the toilet tank.

TheHighwayMan3561

When I saw the thread title I thought internet handles. Like how people have replaced creative names with "firstnamelastname"  on everything.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ErmineNotyours

I worked at a place that has the top button-type flusher, but has a handle attached to that instead.  It takes so much pressure to push the button that the handle mechanism broke and the toilet remained unflushed, except when I noticed it and would lift the tank lid and press the plunger.  Not learning from their mistake, instead of buying a lid with a center button they tried to replace the handle.  You can lead a horse to water...

Brian556

The only time I've ever seen a toilet tank with a flush button on top was this year in a small town in East Texas. At the time I assumed the toilet was old.
The toilets at the Target where I work were replaced during a remodel last year. The new ones are auto-flush, but have a button in case you need to flush before you are finished. They are tankless commercial toilets.

wanderer2575

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 01, 2018, 03:48:54 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought internet handles. Like how people have replaced creative names with "firstnamelastname"  on everything.

And the first thing *I* thought of was "Breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck."  Am I really getting that old?

jakeroot

people have replaced creative names with "firstnamelastname"  on everything.

Creative but forgettable. :-P

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 01, 2018, 01:22:30 PM
I think the ones that are set up so that it's a little water for a #1 and a lot for a #2 are great.

You can achieve a multi-style flush setup (with a #1 and #2 mode) with handles as well. The toilet at my last house had two handles embedded within each other.

Personally, I have no issue with button-style flushers, either on top or on the side.

roadman65

I think the ones that are set up so that it's a little water for a #1 and a lot for a #2 are great. I even saw a toilet in England that had a sink built into the top, where the graywater from the sink was used to fill the toilet tank.
The jail in Clark, NJ had it for the lieu or however you spell it had the sink on top the toilet using the drain from the sink as the tank to flush.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on December 03, 2018, 08:59:02 AM
The jail in Clark, NJ had it for the lieu or however you spell it had the sink on top the toilet using the drain from the sink as the tank to flush.
"Loo" is how you spell the word that's British* English slang for the toilet.

*I don't know if this word is actually used outside England, to be honest.

hotdogPi

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 03, 2018, 09:02:04 AM
*I don't know if this word is actually used outside England, to be honest.

Yes. It's used in the English-speaking parts of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Wiktionary says it's also used in Australia and New Zealand, but it does not list Canada.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

roadman

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 03, 2018, 12:26:33 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought internet handles. Like how people have replaced creative names with “firstnamelastname” on everything.

And the first thing *I* thought of was "Breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck."  Am I really getting that old?

That was my first thought as well.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

english si

Quote from: 1 on December 03, 2018, 09:05:07 AMYes. It's used in the English-speaking parts of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
And the other parts if the language being used is English. :-P

Also the Republic of Ireland use it.

jakeroot

I hear "the loo" moderately often in the PNW and BC, though I've never been able to tell if it was a joke, or someone using the term because that's the first thing that came to their mind.

abefroman329

Quote from: jakeroot on December 03, 2018, 02:31:53 PM
I hear "the loo" moderately often in the PNW and BC, though I've never been able to tell if it was a joke, or someone using the term because that's the first thing that came to their mind.
It's bad enough that "no worries" has crept into American English.

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 03, 2018, 02:42:56 PM

I don't think I realized that "no worries" hasn't always been used in the US. I've said it for years, and never thought twice. In the service industry, I think it's preferred to "no problem", since "problem" is one of those words you avoid. Are you anti-Australian? :-D

abefroman329

Quote from: jakeroot on December 03, 2018, 02:47:32 PM

I don't think I realized that "no worries" hasn't always been used in the US. I've said it for years, and never thought twice. In the service industry, I think it's preferred to "no problem", since "problem" is one of those words you avoid. Are you anti-Australian? :-D
No, just anti-pretentiousness (though I think it's just that 100% of the Americans I've met who use "no worries" are pretentious, rather than it being a phrase that only pretentious people use).

Interesting that it's preferred to "no problem" in the service industry, though I'm not sure "worry" is that much better than "problem."

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 03, 2018, 03:23:32 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 03, 2018, 02:47:32 PM

No, just anti-pretentiousness (though I think it's just that 100% of the Americans I've met who use "no worries" are pretentious, rather than it being a phrase that only pretentious people use).

Interesting that it's preferred to "no problem" in the service industry, though I'm not sure "worry" is that much better than "problem."

Hmm. I've always considered people who use "you're welcome" after every "thanks" or "thank you" to be a bit stuffy.

In fairness, I usually reserve "no worries" for when someone asks for something more unusual, where the perception might be that I may or may not be able to help. I also use "you bet", "sure thing", "you got it, man", "my pleasure". In fact, I rarely use "you're welcome".

Hotel didn't really care what we said as long as it didn't include "problem". "No worries", especially when said with a smile, seemed more casual to most of us, so it became common.

abefroman329

I read a compelling article in favor of "you're welcome" being the only acceptable response to "thank you," and I've mostly stopped saying "no problem" or "yup" or "mmm-hmm" or whatever else I used to say in response to "thank you."

I do not work in the service industry, though.

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 03, 2018, 04:08:18 PM
I read a compelling article in favor of "you're welcome" being the only acceptable response to "thank you," and I've mostly stopped saying "no problem" or "yup" or "mmm-hmm" or whatever else I used to say in response to "thank you."

I learned after a while that most people appreciate a more human-to-human interaction, so I try not to reserve a single response for a remark such as "thanks" or "thank you". If all you say is "you're welcome" after every "thanks" or "thank you", people might begin to suspect you're reading from a script (especially in the service industry). Even in non-service industry interactions, only having a single response sounds kind of odd. Maybe it's just where I live. Most people I know are decently casual, with dozens of various responses to "thanks" or "thank you". Hell, "thanks brother/man/boss/mate" and "cheers" are also common around here. Responding to "thanks mate" with "you're welcome" sounds stranger than "no worries" or even responding back with "cheers".

If I was at a super-fancy party, I might whittle my responses down to "you're welcome" and "my pleasure". Otherwise I have quite a wide vocab.

abefroman329

Quote from: jakeroot on December 03, 2018, 05:10:26 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 03, 2018, 04:08:18 PM

I learned after a while that most people appreciate a more human-to-human interaction, so I try not to reserve a single response for a remark such as "thanks" or "thank you". If all you say is "you're welcome" after every "thanks" or "thank you", people might begin to suspect you're reading from a script (especially in the service industry). Even in non-service industry interactions, only having a single response sounds kind of odd. Maybe it's just where I live. Most people I know are decently casual, with dozens of various responses to "thanks" or "thank you". Hell, "thanks brother/man/boss/mate" and "cheers" are also common around here. Responding to "thanks mate" with "you're welcome" sounds stranger than "no worries" or even responding back with "cheers".

If I was at a super-fancy party, I might whittle my responses down to "you're welcome" and "my pleasure". Otherwise I have quite a wide vocab.
Christ, I forgot about Americans using "cheers" as a catchall "thanks/good luck/I wish you well" phrase.  That's not so much pretentious as "I just went to London for a week's vacation."  Provided you don't work in the service industry. 

Yeah, if I had to respond to "thanks/thank you" five billion times a day, I'd want to change things up too.  At least they're SAYING "thanks/thank you," though.  At the end of our first dinner on Queen Mary 2, my wife pointed out that we were the only ones at our table of ten diners who were saying "thank you" to the waitstaff.

Scott5114

Around here, I've noticed that "Thank you" is losing ground to " 'preciate it". "I appreciate it/you're welcome" don't really seem like they go together, so you kind of have to come up with something other than "you're welcome".

I don't use "my pleasure" because 1) I try not to lie and 2) it reminds me too much of the bots that run Chick-Fil-A.

I never really got the huge aversion to "no problem" some people seem to have. I think it's mostly in the minds of stodgy, tie-wearing fucks that don't actually do any work and don't understand that literally nobody under the age of thirty (hell, could be thirty-five or forty at this point) is going to find it objectionable. We had a training class where the instructor was like "And obviously, you don't say 'no problem'" and nodded along without going into any more detail while the millennials in the class exchanged puzzled glances, as if we had been told not to use the word "portcullis" or "Cincinnati".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jon daly

I wish arvo was used in the US. An Aussie at a baseball board I hang out  at used that when he was a poster.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.