News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 25, 2022, 08:09:35 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 24, 2022, 11:04:25 PM
https://fox59.com/video/indot-looking-for-community-feedback-to-help-address-improvements-along-parts-of-i-465/8100675/

https://cbs4indy.com/indiana-news/indot-seeks-community-input-for-i-465-improvements/

INDOT is seeking community feedback on a section of I-465 between 86th Street (Exit 23) and US 31/Meridian Street (Exit 31).

Oh, and here is the presentation from the meeting:
https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/files/20221013-I-465_CAC-Meeting-Presentation.pdf

Construction is not expected to begin until 2024.

So happy to see this happen  :clap: hate this stretch of 465  :banghead: smashed my car on this stretch and nearly lost a loved one. very dangerous! I also see they aren't signing US 52 at the 865 interchange  :-/

US 52 isn't signed at the 865 interchange currently. Hell, getting on at Brookville Rd on the south side currently there's no mention of where to take US 52 once you get onto I-465.

Otherwise, I love this project. This is a stretch of road that seriously needs some love and it looks like INDOT is doing this one properly. it seems that the US 31 interchange is going to be configured in a way similar to the current plans for the I-465/I-69 interchange a few miles to the east. It appears that access to 106th Street will be via the Meridian Street ramp with US 31 north traffic bypassing that exit altogether, similar to 82nd Street being "bypassed" by the new 465 to 69 movements in the Clearpath project.

Also of notice to me, US 31 will just get the control city of Kokomo, removing Westfield. Although I would still prefer South Bend I'm fine with Kokomo. What I didn't care too much for was including Westfield when you miss the much larger Carmel. Hopefully both Carmel and Westfield will get supplemental signage, possibly a mention for both Exits 31 and 33.

cjw2001

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 25, 2022, 05:24:27 PM
Also of notice to me, US 31 will just get the control city of Kokomo, removing Westfield. Although I would still prefer South Bend I'm fine with Kokomo. What I didn't care too much for was including Westfield when you miss the much larger Carmel. Hopefully both Carmel and Westfield will get supplemental signage, possibly a mention for both Exits 31 and 33.
Carmel would not be appropriate as a control city for the exit as you are already in Carmel.  Control cities would be a destination further down the road not the city you are already in.

silverback1065

so the only non 8 lane section of 465 will be the SE side of town. I think INDOT will do that when they get the money. in the mean time that stretch will get indiana's 1st set of ramp meters and variable speed limits. the meters should help but we all know noone follows the speed limit on 465  :-D

monty

If memory serves correct, some of that SE I465 quadrant was initially the only four lane part of the original build. I think it was between I74 and the curve back west on the south side.
monty

tdindy88

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 25, 2022, 07:48:58 PM
so the only non 8 lane section of 465 will be the SE side of town. I think INDOT will do that when they get the money. in the mean time that stretch will get indiana's 1st set of ramp meters and variable speed limits. the meters should help but we all know noone follows the speed limit on 465  :-D

Keep the North Split closed forever, that will keep traffic along that stretch below the speed limit.

However, I thought the ramp metering and stuff was supposed to be done this year. It's also interesting that before the North Split project there were plans for temporary meters at Mann Rd and Kentucky Ave and even a couple of planned ramp closures along I-465 for the duration of the project. Interestingly none of that was ever done.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 26, 2022, 07:37:00 PM

Keep the North Split closed forever, that will keep traffic along that stretch below the speed limit.

However, I thought the ramp metering and stuff was supposed to be done this year. It's also interesting that before the North Split project there were plans for temporary meters at Mann Rd and Kentucky Ave and even a couple of planned ramp closures along I-465 for the duration of the project. Interestingly none of that was ever done.

Ya I remember they said 36/67 to 465 sb would close and 31nb to 465/74 wb would close. never happened. and it's supposed to happen according to that presentation they had. they still have 2 months to do it!  :-D

westerninterloper

I'd make the incoming downtown interstates boulevards and reroute through traffic around 465.

Cut off I-70 eastbound at West Street;
Cut off I-65 northbound after Raymond;
Cut off I-70 westbound after Hillside; and
Cut off I-65 South at West Street.

Essentially, make a downtown loop of boulevards like West Street within the footprint of the interstate inner loop, and restore the street grid on the leftover land.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

silverback1065

Quote from: westerninterloper on October 27, 2022, 06:30:15 PM

I'd make the incoming downtown interstates boulevards and reroute through traffic around 465.

Essentially, make a downtown loop of boulevards like West Street within the footprint of the interstate inner loop, and restore the street grid on the leftover land.

We can already see that this is a very bad idea.

JoePCool14

Quote from: westerninterloper on October 27, 2022, 06:30:15 PM

That's some urbanist thinking right there. No thank you.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

silverback1065

I do support them cleaning up the south leg. the roads could be connected better down there. A cap would be nice in the south split area and you could add shops and a few x-streets. win win but alas, money is the limiting factor. one can dream!  :-D

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 28, 2022, 09:26:34 AM
I do support them cleaning up the south leg. the roads could be connected better down there. A cap would be nice in the south split area and you could add shops and a few x-streets. win win but alas, money is the limiting factor. one can dream!  :-D

I don't know if anybody else watches a show called "Good Bones," but it's an Indy based show where a mother and daughter team flip houses. They started in Fountain Square but they've moved onto Bates-Hendricks and Old Southside so it seems that those neighborhoods are trending upwards and could benefit from better connection to downtown.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 28, 2022, 09:36:25 AM

I don't know if anybody else watches a show called "Good Bones," but it's an Indy based show where a mother and daughter team flip houses. They started in Fountain Square but they've moved onto Bates-Hendricks and Old Southside so it seems that those neighborhoods are trending upwards and could benefit from better connection to downtown.

Definitely. I am sure something will be done to address this whenever they decide to fix that area, the locals are already starting to talk to INDOT about it and INDOT has already reached out I think I some article on this.

tdindy88

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 28, 2022, 09:36:25 AM

I was watching that show one time in a dentist's office and they were rebuilding some home along "Capitol Street." I kept on wanting to scream at the TV, it's Capitol AVENUE! I know it's minor...but they live here, they should know better.

Pretty cool exposure for the city though and the near South side is an interesting part of the city. Improvements to the southern part of the interstates around downtown are certainly not a bad idea. But closing off that highway? We are approaching Month #18 of the experiment that proves why that is a bad idea.

SSR_317

https://fox59.com/video/indot-looking-for-community-feedback-to-help-address-improvements-along-parts-of-i-465/8100675/

https://cbs4indy.com/indiana-news/indot-seeks-community-input-for-i-465-improvements/

INDOT is seeking community feedback on a section of I-465 between 86th Street (Exit 23) and US 31/Meridian Street (Exit 31).

https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/files/20221013-I-465_CAC-Meeting-Presentation.pdf

I see they don't plan to correct the MAJOR MISTAKE they made when the converted US 31 into a freeway in that they only built the SB 31 to Clockwise (EB here) I-465 ramp to carry only one lane. This ramp represents the "through movement" of US 31 SB, and if you get behind a slow-moving semi, you're totally screwed! Of course, you're screwed anyway if you go this way (especially during rush hour) for the next few years as the I-465/I-69 Clear Path rebuild will snarl traffic even further a few miles to the east in the Castleton area. But this project, which will not begin until that Clear Path project is (hopefully) wrapping up, would be an EXCELLENT chance to correct the mistake that was made by INDOT being penny-wise but pound-foolish on the design and construction of that SB US 31 free-flow ramp.

wh15395

Quote from: SSR_317 on October 30, 2022, 04:15:59 PM

I see they don't plan to correct the MAJOR MISTAKE they made when the converted US 31 into a freeway in that they only built the SB 31 to Clockwise (EB here) I-465 ramp to carry only one lane. This ramp represents the "through movement" of US 31 SB, and if you get behind a slow-moving semi, you're totally screwed! Of course, you're screwed anyway if you go this way (especially during rush hour) for the next few years as the I-465/I-69 Clear Path rebuild will snarl traffic even further a few miles to the east in the Castleton area. But this project, which will not begin until that Clear Path project is (hopefully) wrapping up, would be an EXCELLENT chance to correct the mistake that was made by INDOT being penny-wise but pound-foolish on the design and construction of that SB US 31 free-flow ramp.

I seriously never understood why they did that. I haven't lived in the area for a while, but I drove that ramp a few times after it was built. I got stuck behind trucks or slow drivers all the time. I couldn't grasp how INDOT could build that ramp with one lane.

I understand cost is an issue, but I also don't see why they didn't redo all of 465 from 865 to 69 when they did the Meridian/US 31-Allisionville project. Might as well tear the whole Northside up at the same time, right?  It has to be more expensive to do all these projects in segments, and way more inconvenient for motorists. The NW and NE sides have been a mess during rush hour for a long time. They've also been the fastest growing cities in the metro area for a while, so it's not like any of this couldn't be predicted.

silverback1065

Quote from: wh15395 on November 01, 2022, 12:10:34 AM
Quote from: SSR_317 on October 30, 2022, 04:15:59 PM

I seriously never understood why they did that. I haven't lived in the area for a while, but I drove that ramp a few times after it was built. I got stuck behind trucks or slow drivers all the time. I couldn't grasp how INDOT could build that ramp with one lane.

I understand cost is an issue, but I also don't see why they didn't redo all of 465 from 865 to 69 when they did the Meridian/US 31-Allisionville project. Might as well tear the whole Northside up at the same time, right?  It has to be more expensive to do all these projects in segments, and way more inconvenient for motorists. The NW and NE sides have been a mess during rush hour for a long time. They've also been the fastest growing cities in the metro area for a while, so it's not like any of this couldn't be predicted.

I remember INDOT announcing on tv years ago the drop of the 69 interchange when they redid 465 from 31-alisonville. it was due to cost. it must have happened late in the game too because the BGS in the allisonville area had 82nd st as a destination on the exit 37 signs. the allisonville signs had the "exit only" tab covered up too. back then INDOT had much less funding I believe this was before the gas tax increase.

XamotCGC

Is Paoli pike in New Albany(Floyd County) old US 150?
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: XamotCGC on November 03, 2022, 04:39:28 AM
Is Paoli pike in New Albany(Floyd County) old US 150?

Yes, Paoli Pike/State St was the original routing of US 150.

dlovechio

Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 20, 2022, 12:08:52 AM
Indiana Toll Road exit from US 131 has no functional overhead EZPass reader, so you have to hand your EZPass to the attendant.

Yesterday, at the I-90 State Line tolls into Chicago, lots of EZPass or gate malfunctions caused a huge backup.

I'm from PA – is this normal?  I see on the Google Maps reviews of the Westpoint booth it seems to be a recurring problem.

What's going on with the Toll Road?

Also, ORT would be pretty cool at a mainline plaza...

This is very normal, as someone who lives in South Bend and travels on the toll road frequently, we are very behind compared to other states like Illinois or  PA and MA with ORT on I90. We know someone who works for the ITR and he said the technology is old and that they don't even sell parts anymore to replace/fix the equipment, so they have to go on ebay.  :-D
US 31 upgrades from I 94 to I 465. Hoosier Hartland Highway west of US 31. US 131 from Kalamazoo to Three Rivers. (West Lafayette, Mishawaka, Three Rivers) (traveler to Kalamazoo, St Joe, and West Lafayette from SB)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: dlovechio on November 10, 2022, 02:20:55 PM
Indiana Toll Road exit from US 131 has no functional overhead EZPass reader, so you have to hand your EZPass to the attendant.

Yesterday, at the I-90 State Line tolls into Chicago, lots of EZPass or gate malfunctions caused a huge backup.

I'm from PA – is this normal?  I see on the Google Maps reviews of the Westpoint booth it seems to be a recurring problem.

This is very normal, as someone who lives in South Bend and travels on the toll road frequently, we are very behind compared to other states like Illinois or  PA and MA with ORT on I90. We know someone who works for the ITR and he said the technology is old and that they don't even sell parts anymore to replace/fix the equipment, so they have to go on ebay.  :-D

Welcome to AA Roads and the Indiana thread!

JoePCool14

Quote from: dlovechio on November 10, 2022, 02:20:55 PM

That's incredible. I'm guessing nothing with change with the situation either, unless they are forced to.

Could the Indiana state government pass something to force them into ORT?

(Also, a warm welcome to the AARoads Forum from Illinois!)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

tdindy88

Since it was all snowy outside today I'm staying home and looking at different road plans. I took a look at the plans today over the new I-465/I-69 interchange on the northeast side and was curious with how they were planning on signing things along that corridor. No real big surprises but certainly a lot of large one-arrow-per-lane signs. At least the one thing with Indiana is they don't do a bad job on these. With this combined with the future plans for I-465 on the northwest side there's going to a lot of these large signs on the north end of 465 in the future. Also with these plans, Hello Evansville! I-69 gets signed for I-465 and Evansville is the control city from the northeast side of Indianapolis. Which is fair since Fort Wayne will be signed at the junction on the southwest side.

This makes me wonder if the in the future we'll be seeing both Fort Wayne and Evansville at the east side I-70 interchange with I-465 going by current trends. Likewise on the south side with both 69 and 74 combined will we see dual controls, Peoria and Evansville for the westbound and Cincinnati and Fort Wayne for the eastbound.

More importantly for some people, the north end of I-465 is going to be wide and impressive when all of this is done.

But not to worry, not all is perfect, here's a scan of a planned new sign at I-69 and I-469 on the north side of Fort Wayne (I guess they're planning some lane work up there.)

Nice seeing the Lansing (ControlCityFreak was mentioning a lack of pull-throughs on I-69 in Fort Wayne) but the I-469/US 24-30 sign lacks any new control city.

Alps

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 12, 2022, 01:04:53 PM
But not to worry, not all is perfect, here's a scan of a planned new sign at I-69 and I-469 on the north side of Fort Wayne (I guess they're planning some lane work up there.)

Nice seeing the Lansing (ControlCityFreak was mentioning a lack of pull-throughs on I-69 in Fort Wayne) but the I-469/US 24-30 sign lacks any new control city.

they could plan some font size work too

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 12, 2022, 01:04:53 PM
Since it was all snowy outside today I'm staying home and looking at different road plans. I took a look at the plans today over the new I-465/I-69 interchange on the northeast side and was curious with how they were planning on signing things along that corridor. No real big surprises but certainly a lot of large one-arrow-per-lane signs. At least the one thing with Indiana is they don't do a bad job on these. With this combined with the future plans for I-465 on the northwest side there's going to a lot of these large signs on the north end of 465 in the future. Also with these plans, Hello Evansville! I-69 gets signed for I-465 and Evansville is the control city from the northeast side of Indianapolis. Which is fair since Fort Wayne will be signed at the junction on the southwest side.

This makes me wonder if the in the future we'll be seeing both Fort Wayne and Evansville at the east side I-70 interchange with I-465 going by current trends. Likewise on the south side with both 69 and 74 combined will we see dual controls, Peoria and Evansville for the westbound and Cincinnati and Fort Wayne for the eastbound.

More importantly for some people, the north end of I-465 is going to be wide and impressive when all of this is done.

No control city on I-469?

tdindy88

Quote from: Alps on November 12, 2022, 07:16:07 PM
they could plan some font size work too

Yeah, occasionally the font's a little wonky. You see this a few times in Indiana but most signs are like the I-69/I-465 ones shown above.

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on November 13, 2022, 06:47:05 AM
No control city on I-469?

There's never been one. Though it's been argued by some (myself included) that Toledo would be a good fit, or at least Ohio. In Fort Wayne for some reason INDOT isn't interested in signing any of that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.