News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Automated Emissions Monitoring (e.g. RapidPass in NOVA)

Started by AlexandriaVA, August 11, 2019, 01:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexandriaVA

Does anyone else (who lives in a state/region with emissions testing) take advantage of an automated system? Here in Northern VA, it's called Rapidpass and I have to say, it's really convenient. You basically drive by a temporary roadside sensor (typically found I believe on highway off-ramps), and then about a week later you get a letter in the mail telling you your vehicle has passed, and that you can "accept" the clean emissions finding by paying online.

This is compared to the days of having to go to a certified emissions station and battle the queues there.

The only downside is I have to pay the full $28, whereas my old garage has a $3 coupon for emissions, so I guess I'm paying $3 for the convenience (it's really convenient).

hbelkins

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on August 11, 2019, 01:22:47 PM
Does anyone else (who lives in a state/region with emissions testing) take advantage of an automated system? Here in Northern VA, it's called Rapidpass and I have to say, it's really convenient. You basically drive by a temporary roadside sensor (typically found I believe on highway off-ramps), and then about a week later you get a letter in the mail telling you your vehicle has passed, and that you can "accept" the clean emissions finding by paying online.

This is compared to the days of having to go to a certified emissions station and battle the queues there.

The only downside is I have to pay the full $28, whereas my old garage has a $3 coupon for emissions, so I guess I'm paying $3 for the convenience (it's really convenient).

So how does it know that the emissions are solely from the passing vehicle, and the sensors aren't picking up stray chemicals from the atmosphere, or other passing vehicles?

Thank God Kentucky doesn't have this foolishness.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

I used RapidPass the last time I needed emissions (pretty sure it was last year), though it was mainly because I happened to drive past the equipment on Franconia Road near Telegraph Road, not because I necessarily planned to use RapidPass. You don't get a letter unless your registration is up for renewal soon and you will need the emissions inspection in order to renew (so, for example, if I drive through a site this year, I won't get the letter because my registration expires next year).

Worked painlessly and I would do it again if I happened to pass the sensors, but I wouldn't likely go out of my way to pass them nor to look online for where they're going to be at any given time.

Only thing I dislike about them is that some people slow down when they see the equipment set up. But then, lately there seems to be an annoying little fad where people are hitting the brakes when the light ahead is green, so I guess it's par for the course.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

Man this makes Massachusetts look pleasant. During annual inspection, they just hook into the OBD-II sensor to see what it says. If the car is older than 1996 without one I don't think it's even tested anymore.

Granted, living near Lawrence and Lowell and seeing low-riders with wheels bowed out 20 degrees, our "inspection" system is useless.

1995hoo

Quote from: SectorZ on August 11, 2019, 04:17:27 PM
Man this makes Massachusetts look pleasant. During annual inspection, they just hook into the OBD-II sensor to see what it says. If the car is older than 1996 without one I don't think it's even tested anymore.

Granted, living near Lawrence and Lowell and seeing low-riders with wheels bowed out 20 degrees, our "inspection" system is useless.

We have the option of going to a gas station or other mechanic and having them plug into the OBD-II port if the car has one. (Cars 25 model years old or more are exempt.) But if you've driven past the thing on the road and gotten the letter that you passed, you can just go online and pay the fee and save yourself the trip to the gas station/mechanic (and having to wait on line once you get there). Costs the same either way ($28) unless your particular inspection station issued a coupon.

Emissions inspection here is every other year and cars newer than four model years old are exempt.

Brandon

No.  The Illinois EPA does not offer such a thing.  It wouldn't matter anyway as the test is free of charge every two years on a vehicle four years or older in only one of eight counties in the state (Cook, Lake, McHenry, DuPage, Kane, Will, Madison, and St. Clair).  The facilities are run by Illinois Air Team, the Illinois EPA contractor for the testing.
https://www2.illinois.gov/epa/topics/air-quality/mobile-sources/Pages/vehicle-emissions-testing.aspx
https://illinoisairteam.net/
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SectorZ

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 11, 2019, 04:42:28 PM

We have the option of going to a gas station or other mechanic and having them plug into the OBD-II port if the car has one. (Cars 25 model years old or more are exempt.) But if you've driven past the thing on the road and gotten the letter that you passed, you can just go online and pay the fee and save yourself the trip to the gas station/mechanic (and having to wait on line once you get there). Costs the same either way ($28) unless your particular inspection station issued a coupon.

Emissions inspection here is every other year and cars newer than four model years old are exempt.

So you guys don't have safety inspections?

1995hoo

Quote from: SectorZ on August 12, 2019, 05:08:15 PM

We do, but that's a totally separate matter and is not part of the registration process.

Brandon

Not every state does.  We don't, here in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on August 13, 2019, 01:12:40 PM

Not every state does.  We don't, here in Illinois.

Kentucky did away with safety inspections in the 1970s, when proof of insurance began being required. They traded the inspection sticker for an insurance sticker, then eventually did away with the insurance sticker.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.