News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 29, 2018, 11:07:15 AM
Will County is pretty much totally snubbed by them--same with the far N and NW suburbs.  No Illiana, no I-80 river bridge, no improved Plainfield access, no Houbolt-Laraway bridge, and this isn't going to happen either.  I'll believe it when I see it.

They did widen 55 about 6-7 years ago.

Granted they did a shitty job, but still..
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on January 29, 2018, 11:14:53 AM
Will County is pretty much totally snubbed by them--same with the far N and NW suburbs.  No Illiana, no I-80 river bridge, no improved Plainfield access, no Houbolt-Laraway bridge, and this isn't going to happen either.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Widening I-55 took pulling teeth at IDOT.  The politician involved was Brent Hassert (no relation to Dennis Hastert) of Romeoville.  He and Will County leaders (from the County and several municipalities) made it so IDOT had to widen I-55 or else.  IDOT was highly reluctant to do so, and it shows in the execution of the job.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on January 29, 2018, 11:17:46 AM

Widening I-55 took pulling teeth at IDOT.  The politician involved was Brent Hassert (no relation to Dennis Hastert) of Romeoville.  He and Will County leaders (from the County and several municipalities) made it so IDOT had to widen I-55 or else.  IDOT was highly reluctant to do so, and it shows in the execution of the job.

The real bullshit is that they could see that it needed it.  55 was two laned through there for 15 years too long.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on January 29, 2018, 11:22:43 AM
Quote from: Brandon on January 29, 2018, 11:17:46 AM

The real bullshit is that they could see that it needed it.  55 was two laned through there for 15 years too long.

It ranks right up there with IDOT widening I-55 to one mile shy of the Weber Road interchange.  Didn't the fools in Schaumburg realize that would lead to traffic jams that would extend all the way back to the Ryan?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

paulthemapguy

The botched BGS signage along that stretch still bothers me to this day  :rolleyes:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

johndoe780

Didn't they just repave that segment last summer?

if so, what's so shitty about it?

johndoe780

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 29, 2018, 12:07:40 PM

The botched BGS signage along that stretch still bothers me to this day  :rolleyes:

Does it really matter when everyone and their mom's these days using GPS/Google maps?

johndoe780

Quote from: Rick Powell on January 28, 2018, 01:17:41 AM
Quote from: Brandon on January 26, 2018, 10:15:46 AM
Quote from: johndoe780 on January 26, 2018, 09:45:26 AM
Quote from: Brandon on January 26, 2018, 09:09:35 AM
Quote from: johndoe780 on January 25, 2018, 11:27:22 PM
So what's the progress of IDOT transitioning to LED lights? Are they doing it? Are they not?

No idea, but I've seen a few IDOT maintained roads with them (IL-7 and IL-59 through Joliet), but I strongly suspect that these were installed by the municipality.

Haven't been on IL 59 through Joliet in a while but they dropped the ball not installing LED lights on the 6 laning IL 59 through Naperville/Aurora

That's been par for the course for IDOT.  Behind the curve and behind the 8-ball.

Probably 95% of the "highway lighting" on IDOT maintained roadways is municipally funded and maintained, even if IDOT's contractor put them up. So if the municipality is paying 100% of the construction cost, they will spec their preferred lighting as long as it meets overall lighting specs and standards. I don't know why a city wouldn't want to use LEDs because of their long life and low maintenance, but not everyone changes immediately with the times.

The main exceptions where IDOT pays for and maintains the lights are interstate interchanges and continuous freeway lighting, lighting over river crossings in rural areas, and a few other isolated lights in rural areas, mainly at intersections. The most recent IDOT project I worked on (that had new IDOT maintained lighting) used LEDs.

I'm assuming it's IDOT lighting on the I-88 Interchange and IL-59 and they did not use LEDs.

inkyatari

Quote from: johndoe780 on January 29, 2018, 02:26:15 PM

They repaved from Weber Rd. north.  It's from Weber Rd. south that's the problem.

johndoe780

Quote from: inkyatari on January 29, 2018, 02:33:04 PM

They repaved from Weber Rd. north.  It's from Weber Rd. south that's the problem.

I just used I-55 south going to I-80 west a few weeks ago. Pavement was in fair condition. If you want to take a look at shitty pavement, go ride on the kennedy from o'hare to the edens merge.

dcharlie

Yes, they just repaved it.  I drive the stretch from 126 to Lemont Rd several times a month.  For me, I always feel boxed in, even on the rare occasion when there is light traffic.  The left shoulder is completely below standard and would not safely fit a car.  Forget about driving it during rush hours.  It's jammed mornings and afternoons.  I feel sorry for those who have to drive it every day.  When I am taking 55 south of 126, the road is not much better, but at least the traffic is not so jammed. 

ET21

Quote from: johndoe780 on January 29, 2018, 02:40:53 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on January 29, 2018, 02:33:04 PM

I just used I-55 south going to I-80 west a few weeks ago. Pavement was in fair condition. If you want to take a look at shitty pavement, go ride on the kennedy from o'hare to the edens merge.

Don't you love the new potholes that formed in the middle lane right before Canfield?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

Here's something for all of you to enjoy.

IDOT is taking a survey on how its website operates or could be improved.  PLEASE be sure to add ONLY :rolleyes: your most CONSTRUCTIVE :rolleyes: CRITICISM by clicking on this link to take the survey  :rofl:

inkyatari

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 30, 2018, 09:25:48 AM
Here's something for all of you to enjoy.

IDOT is taking a survey on how its website operates or could be improved.  PLEASE be sure to add ONLY :rolleyes: your most CONSTRUCTIVE :rolleyes: CRITICISM by clicking on this link to take the survey  :rofl:

What could make the Studies and Projects section better?

Make it easier to find projects, and list ALL the projects!

What did you like best about the Studies and Projects section?

Well..  That you have one, I guess.

johndoe780

Anyone going to the meeting today about the I-80 6 laning from US 30 to ridge rd later today?

dvferyance

They did becasue the 3rd lane should have gone down to Arsenal Road. But right now I think I-57 in southern Cook County should be a high priority.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: dvferyance on January 31, 2018, 07:03:27 PM

They did becasue the 3rd lane should have gone down to Arsenal Road. But right now I think I-57 in southern Cook County should be a high priority.

I agree.  Upgrading 80 in the inner Joliet area desperately needs to be done.  6-laning from IL-7 to Minooka can wait a little bit, but I'd still really like to see it.  Then you have I-57, though.  6 lanes to Sauk Trail or so--yes please!

inkyatari

Quote from: johndoe780 on January 31, 2018, 06:54:15 PM
Anyone going to the meeting today about the I-80 6 laning from US 30 to ridge rd later today?

I wanted to poke my head in - I was at the colleget o pick my daughter up anyway - but had to head home.,

johndoe780

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 31, 2018, 08:56:20 PM

I agree.  Upgrading 80 in the inner Joliet area desperately needs to be done.  6-laning from IL-7 to Minooka can wait a little bit, but I'd still really like to see it.  Then you have I-57, though.  6 lanes to Sauk Trail or so--yes please!

I-57 needs to be 6-laned to at least Monee. I'm assuming the costs wouldn't be extraordinary high compared to I-80 as I-57 doesn't cross a river and you have plenty of ROW in the median.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 01, 2018, 01:16:38 AM
I-57 needs to be 6-laned to at least Monee. I'm assuming the costs wouldn't be extraordinary high compared to I-80 as I-57 doesn't cross a river and you have plenty of ROW in the median.

That's what I was debating.  I'd either end it at Sauk Trail or Monee.  Trucks love to gas up at the Monee exit because it's the last exit before you face Cook County taxes.

inkyatari

Which brings up a question.  Obviously replacing the bridge over the Des Plaines will have to be replaced at some point.  Given the topography of the area, do you think they'd do the same, where the highway dips down closer to river level starting at the Ridge Rd. exit, and back up over the bridge, or do you think they'll rebuild it at the elevation of Ridge Rd. so that it doesn't dip down?

And while we're at it, what the hell is going on right now at the Ridge Rd. exit? I can't find anything about it on IDOT's website.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on February 01, 2018, 10:25:37 AM

Which brings up a question.  Obviously replacing the bridge over the Des Plaines will have to be replaced at some point.  Given the topography of the area, do you think they'd do the same, where the highway dips down closer to river level starting at the Ridge Rd. exit, and back up over the bridge, or do you think they'll rebuild it at the elevation of Ridge Rd. so that it doesn't dip down?

And while we're at it, what the hell is going on right now at the Ridge Rd. exit? I can't find anything about it on IDOT's website.

There's no real way to do the bridge area much differently than it is currently.  I-80 needs to be lower between the river and the bluff just east of Richards Street for the interchanges with Richards Street and Chicago Street.  Then you have the height of the bluff on the west side that dictates how high the bridge must be when it meets Center Street.  The bridge also needs clearance for the barge traffic on the river.

Now, the Chicago Street exit should be reconfigured.  Up until 10-15 years ago, it was a six-ramp, six-direction interchange that disallowed access from I-80 west to Chicago Street north and Chicago Street north to I-80 east.  One had to use 4th and Richards for that.  The original 3/4 cloverleaf has had the two extra movements shoehorned into it.

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on February 01, 2018, 01:19:11 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on February 01, 2018, 10:25:37 AM

There's no real way to do the bridge area much differently than it is currently.  I-80 needs to be lower between the river and the bluff just east of Richards Street for the interchanges with Richards Street and Chicago Street.  Then you have the height of the bluff on the west side that dictates how high the bridge must be when it meets Center Street.  The bridge also needs clearance for the barge traffic on the river.

Now, the Chicago Street exit should be reconfigured.  Up until 10-15 years ago, it was a six-ramp, six-direction interchange that disallowed access from I-80 west to Chicago Street north and Chicago Street north to I-80 east.  One had to use 4th and Richards for that.  The original 3/4 cloverleaf has had the two extra movements shoehorned into it.

I was meaning Bluff Road in Channahon on I-55

https://goo.gl/maps/RVs6quu7xnF2

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on February 01, 2018, 02:02:46 PM
I was meaning Bluff Road in Channahon on I-55

https://goo.gl/maps/RVs6quu7xnF2

That one might be good to replace with a high-level viaduct like I-355 has.

Rick Powell

I went to the I-80 meeting at JJC. Big crowd. There is no basic lane addition, but auxiliary lanes added between 55 and Houbolt, Larkin and Center, and across the bridge, and I think between Richards and Briggs. They have a SB I-55 to EB I-80 flyover, otherwise the interchange stays as is. No or little change at Houbolt, Larkin or US 30 (WB lane drop stays at US 30). Flyover NB 53 to WB I-80 with some reconfiguration, although they had a DDI option too. Major reconfigure at Center, looks like they are going from 3 levels to 2. 3 Bridge alignments over the river, near south, near north and a little farther north. The close in options add one side of the bridge, remove one of the truss bridges, complete the bridge, and then remove the other truss bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.