News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 03, 2018, 03:24:18 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on April 03, 2018, 02:22:45 PM
Ran across this article that has historical facts about the interstate system in Illinois: http://www.nwherald.com/2018/03/27/illinois-at-heart-of-the-u-s-interstate-system/akahmlo/

"Since the completion of I-39 in 1992, Illinois has seen only one new interstate: the 9/10ths of a mile I-41 in Lake County."

This is incorrect, I-355 from I-55 to I-80 definitely opened after 1992, and (I think) the original section, from Army-Trail Road to I-55, opened after I-39.

Also, wasn't the extension of I-72 from Springfield to MO, including the designation of I-172, done circa 1995?  Maybe the author's only taking into consideration new numerical designations rather than extensions of previously established routes.

abefroman329

Quote from: mvak36 on April 03, 2018, 04:08:26 PM
Ran across this article that has historical facts about the interstate system in Illinois: http://www.nwherald.com/2018/03/27/illinois-at-heart-of-the-u-s-interstate-system/akahmlo/

"Since the completion of I-39 in 1992, Illinois has seen only one new interstate: the 9/10ths of a mile I-41 in Lake County."

This is incorrect, I-355 from I-55 to I-80 definitely opened after 1992, and (I think) the original section, from Army-Trail Road to I-55, opened after I-39.

Maybe the article only meant 2 digit interstates? To be honest, I'm actually not sure if the information in the article is accurate or not because I don't know any of the history. Someone more familiar with the Illinois interstate history would probably know better than me.

Oh, maybe that's what they meant?

That's the only part that jumped out at me as being incorrect.

Brandon

Quote from: sparker on April 03, 2018, 04:11:32 PM

Also, wasn't the extension of I-72 from Springfield to MO, including the designation of I-172, done circa 1995?  Maybe the author's only taking into consideration new numerical designations rather than extensions of previously established routes.

Even I-172 was new, not an extension (like I-72).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ilpt4u

I-155, that awesome Morton to Lincoln Freeway, fully opened in 92. According to interstate-guide.com, AASHTO approved the designation in mid-1991

https://www.interstate-guide.com/i-155_il.html

One could also say the New Terrain Route I-70 now takes, departing from I-55 and "bumping"  I-64 in East St Louis to approach the Stan Musial Bridge, is also relatively New Interstate in IL

dvferyance

I really wouldn't count I-41 as a new interstate for Illinois. It just overlays I-94 for like 12 feet and it's not even signed.

ChiMilNet

Interesting article on a meeting addressing proposed improvements to North Lake Shore Drive and the Lakefront Trail.

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2018/03/13/idot-proposes-detailed-options-for-lakefront-trail-part-of-north-lake-shore-drive-project/

A few Highlights of the meeting:
- The emphasis of the meeting was the Lakefront Trail, and the continued separation of the pedestrian and bike paths.
- Bike lanes would be, in many places, built West of the Drive to connect to potential future bike only lanes in the neighborhoods.
- Underpasses similar to the one at the Museum campus are proposed every quarter mile for bikers/pedestrians/runners.
- Numerous bus terminals and turnarounds are proposed.
- There is a proposal being pushed to remove a lane North of Irving Park Rd due to the drop in traffic.
- Based on the maps shown, it looks like Diversey Parkway would be truncated to a cul de sac just West of the Drive.
- Obviously, based on previous articles, the major Drive re-alignment near Ohio St (project site linked to in the article has more about that).

This is a project that really needs to happen in Chicago, and as a frequent user of the Lakefront Trail, I am, overall, quite pleased with the proposed improvements.

Crash_It

Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 03, 2018, 09:39:07 PM
Interesting article on a meeting addressing proposed improvements to North Lake Shore Drive and the Lakefront Trail.

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2018/03/13/idot-proposes-detailed-options-for-lakefront-trail-part-of-north-lake-shore-drive-project/

- The emphasis of the meeting was the Lakefront Trail, and the continued separation of the pedestrian and bike paths.
- Bike lanes would be, in many places, built West of the Drive to connect to potential future bike only lanes in the neighborhoods.
- Underpasses similar to the one at the Museum campus are proposed every quarter mile for bikers/pedestrians/runners.
- There is a proposal being pushed to remove a lane North of Irving Park Rd due to the drop in traffic.
- Based on the maps shown, it looks like Diversey Parkway would be truncated to a cul de sac just West of the Drive.
- Obviously, based on previous articles, the major Drive re-alignment near Ohio St (project site linked to in the article has more about that).

This is a project that really needs to happen in Chicago, and as a frequent user of the Lakefront Trail, I am, overall, quite pleased with the proposed improvements.

Eh, removing a lane is never really a good idea. Seems like it would cause traffic to increase. However, a couple of those lanes are just barely wide enough for a car so if they do remove one they could widen the existing ones. So that might be the only benefit of it. What's also ridiculous is the plan on IL50 near midway to remove a lane.

tribar

There is definitely a drop off in traffic north of Irving Park but not enough to drop a lane. The rest of this sounds good though.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Crash_It on April 03, 2018, 10:38:25 PM

Eh, removing a lane is never really a good idea. Seems like it would cause traffic to increase. However, a couple of those lanes are just barely wide enough for a car so if they do remove one they could widen the existing ones. So that might be the only benefit of it. What's also ridiculous is the plan on IL50 near midway to remove a lane.

I question the lane removal idea too, although widening the actual lanes may help with that somewhat. Also, if they were to add a full shoulder, then I could see it as a justification to avoid too much additional ROW.

What really needs to happen, and won't in this lifetime, is an extension North to Evanston, but I won't touch that any further.

Crash_It

Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 03, 2018, 10:51:40 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on April 03, 2018, 10:38:25 PM

I question the lane removal idea too, although widening the actual lanes may help with that somewhat. Also, if they were to add a full shoulder, then I could see it as a justification to avoid too much additional ROW.

What really needs to happen, and won't in this lifetime, is an extension North to Evanston, but I won't touch that any further.
Yup, takes way too long to get to LSD when following US41 via Lincoln Ave and Foster Ave. All those lights, plus drivers that lack the common sense to stay in the right lane if driving under the limit.

Super Mateo

Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 16, 2018, 08:14:45 PM
It looks like IDOT is planning to accelerate the 159th St. rebuilt/widening project so that all four lanes would be finished by the end of this year, which just some more punch list items to complete next year. This project has been very much delayed (typical of many IDOT projects), so nice to see that residents and municipality seems have pushed enough to get something back on track. This is a very much needed project, and I don't blame Homer Glen residents for their frustration at IDOT.

https://patch.com/illinois/homerglen-lockport/idot-will-accelerate-159th-road-construction-project

Meanwhile, they have a bridge (on something I never realized was a bridge) project going on 159th Street in Oak Forest.  The road is closed.  The closed segment is half a block long.  Naturally, the detour is five MILES long, telling people to use Cicero, 167th, and Harlem, which is three miles west of the construction zone.  From what I saw, eastbound drivers are ignoring it entirely until they have to cut through on a side street (Oak/160th); westbound is going to Central to get back to 159th.  It's a rare case of the drivers being wiser than whoever made the detour.

Lake Shore Drive:  Build the underpasses for bikes and pedestrians to cross and give bikes and pedestrians their own road separated from the cars.  Then raise the speed limit to at least 65.  Having a freeway segment signed at 40 is an absolute joke.

abefroman329

Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 03, 2018, 10:51:40 PM

That would suit me just fine.  Unfortunately, the lakefront real estate north of Hollywood is pretty expensive, and I don't think Loyola and Northwestern are interested in giving up their respective campuses.

abefroman329

Quote from: Super Mateo on April 04, 2018, 09:07:16 AM
Lake Shore Drive:  Build the underpasses for bikes and pedestrians to cross and give bikes and pedestrians their own road separated from the cars.  Then raise the speed limit to at least 65.  Having a freeway segment signed at 40 is an absolute joke.

I regularly do 60 between Hollywood and the Michigan Avenue exit.  If they ever realign the S curve (and I really hope they do), there'd be no excuse for not raising the speed limit.

Crash_It

Quote from: ChiMilNet on March 16, 2018, 08:14:45 PM
It looks like IDOT is planning to accelerate the 159th St. rebuilt/widening project so that all four lanes would be finished by the end of this year, which just some more punch list items to complete next year. This project has been very much delayed (typical of many IDOT projects), so nice to see that residents and municipality seems have pushed enough to get something back on track. This is a very much needed project, and I don't blame Homer Glen residents for their frustration at IDOT.

https://patch.com/illinois/homerglen-lockport/idot-will-accelerate-159th-road-construction-project
raise the speed limit to at least 65.  Having a freeway segment signed at 40 is an absolute joke.

It's not a freeway at all, not even interstate standards by any measure. The lanes are too narrow, there are no shoulders,it's only a US highway designation (with a small segment a Chicago city street)  and there are no acceleration or deceleration lanes. Therefore I don't see it being posted any higher than 5mph more than what it's currently posted as.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 04, 2018, 09:13:31 AM

I regularly do 60 between Hollywood and the Michigan Avenue exit.  If they ever realign the S curve (and I really hope they do), there'd be no excuse for not raising the speed limit.

Agreed that there needs to be more frequent underpasses for bikes and pedestrians. However, there is already the Lakefront trail, so bikes and pedestrians already do have their "own road". What the plans are, and needs to happen, is to fully separate each of these onto their own trail the entire distance. This is being done in some segments, but there are many areas where the trail gets too crowded and bikers and runners often are fighting for space. As for The Drive itself, the proposal does show plans to straighten out the S Curve (and relocate the Ohio St. Beach to accommodate this). The speed limit is simply not going to be raised to 60 or 65 mph. Even the interstate expressways are signed, at most, at 55 mph inside the city limits. The most I could foresee Lake Shore Drive being signed is 50, maybe 55 if they really were to upgrade the construction standards, but I think that might even be a stretch.

SSOWorld

LSD is the equivalent of a NYC parkway.  It's meant to be a more local'ish route.  Most of the traffic goes 50-60, when I drive it I normally stay in the middle lane(s).  I really hate lack of shoulders - one false move and it's curtains.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

abefroman329

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 05, 2018, 04:20:13 AM
LSD is the equivalent of a NYC parkway.  It's meant to be a more local'ish route.  Most of the traffic goes 50-60, when I drive it I normally stay in the middle lane(s).  I really hate lack of shoulders - one false move and it's curtains.

That may be its intended use, but in the absence of the Crosstown Expressway, or any access-controlled north-south route east of the Edens, it's one of my most-used roads.

Henry

You may remember the I-494 and I-694 proposals for LSD back in the 70s; thankfully, these were never done, because while LSD is a very substandard expressway, upgrading it would've forever destroyed its scenic urban character. It is such an iconic route that changing it dramatically would be a crime.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abefroman329

Quote from: Henry on April 05, 2018, 09:36:23 AM
You may remember the I-494 and I-694 proposals for LSD back in the 70s; thankfully, these were never done, because while LSD is a very substandard expressway, upgrading it would've forever destroyed its scenic urban character. It is such an iconic route that changing it dramatically would be a crime.

Oh I wouldn't change a thing about it, and I'm glad it was never extended north of Hollywood.

inkyatari

I think I have a Rand McNally atlas that shows the south section of LSD marked as 494
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 05, 2018, 10:24:03 AM

Oh I wouldn't change a thing about it, and I'm glad it was never extended north of Hollywood.

It is in need of safety improvements, and I'm speaking from both a pedestrian and motorist perspective. However, I agree that anything done should be to not kill the character of the route as it is now. As far as extending it North, I feel it could have been very beneficial to at least extend it to Evanston. However, that is a pipe dream at best now, so likely the Northern Terminus will remain at Hollywood for the foreseeable future.

The neighborhood wants more landfill but not the road. Only one agency has money so they should take an extension for more park .....

Revive 755

Quote from: Crash_It on April 03, 2018, 11:26:09 PM
Yup, takes way too long to get to LSD when following US41 via Lincoln Ave and Foster Ave. All those lights, plus drivers that lack the common sense to stay in the right lane if driving under the limit.

Up until the first transportation plan after the 1971 interim, there were plans for a freeway connecting the north end of Lake Shore Drive to the Kennedy at the curve east of Nagle Avenue.

Given the substandard nature of the early interstates compared to today, plus the horror stories I've heard for I-278 and I-676, I disagree that Lake Shore Drive could not have been turned into an interstate.

As for I-694 in Illinois, I am ready to call it an urban legend given the lack of information on it.

abefroman329

I've never been on I-676, but LSD is far, far below the BQE in terms of substandard freeways.

dvferyance

Is Chicago going to have an expressway named after Obama? I would think it would be a given since they name their expressways after politicians.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.