News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on September 05, 2018, 09:48:18 AM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on September 04, 2018, 11:59:44 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on August 31, 2018, 08:54:11 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on August 30, 2018, 11:33:22 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2018, 09:28:59 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on August 29, 2018, 08:50:07 AM
There's talk of turning I-80 from Minooka to New Lenox into a tollway to fund the Will-80 widening project.

http://www.wcsjnews.com/news/local/interstate-near-minooka-could-become-tollway/article_85244a9e-ab82-11e8-94a5-83104e0797b4.html

OK, if it needs to be done, then it should be done.  At least it'll be out of IDOT's hands and their lack of maintenance.

That'd be fine with me. IDOT has really become more and more of a joke, and the gap in quality between the ISTHA and IDOT is quite apparent now. I say let the Tollway take over the entire portion from I-355 to at least Minooka, though one could make an argument to let them have the portion that goes to Morris or even out to I-39. Honestly, all of I-80 through IL would benefit from a widening, but I'll stop that pipe dream!

For me, I could easily bypass the tolls from where I live (I have a feeling Pine Bluff / Lorenzo Rd. south of the Illinois river would see a huge increase in traffic.)  As much as I hate the idea, I don't see any other way this project could be funded.

And I too support 3 laning 80 from Indiana to Iowa
What about 3 laneing I-88 (at least the tolled parts)?

I-88 doesn't really need 3 lanes past the Sugar Grove exit. Traffic runs pretty smoothly and since I-90 was completed the traffic has actually dropped a bit. Now maybe they can 3 lane it to IL-47 when that becomes a full interchange but otherwise keep as is

Honestly, past IL 47 would be overkill at this point, maybe to DeKalb or I-39 possibly, but West of I-39 has quite low traffic relatively speaking. Though the tollway has the resources to if they ever needed, I can think of much higher priorities on existing facilities, including 4 laning I-88 to Aurora and 4 laning I-355 North of Roosevelt once the portion South of there has been done (of course, this would require IDOT coordination North of Army Trail Road, so good luck!). Plus, cross country traffic and trucks looking to bypass Chicago would find it out of the way. Again, if the Tollway were to assume control of parts of I-80 ever, then you can rest assured they would immediately reconstruct and widen it, with it all being very justified.

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on September 05, 2018, 03:41:32 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on September 05, 2018, 03:40:54 PM
I saw a VMS this morning that said something like "stop staring at your lap, put it down and drive."  It was really clever.

I figured it had a different innuendo.
You're right, it was "stop smiling,"  not "staring."

abefroman329

I saw it again and wrote it down.

QUIT SMILING
AT YOUR LAP
DROP IT AND DRIVE

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 07, 2018, 12:37:53 AM

QUIT SMILING
AT YOUR LAP
DROP IT AND DRIVE

It's begging for a hack that adds...

IT'S NOT AS BIG
AS YOU THINK IT IS
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Brandon on September 07, 2018, 07:06:47 AM

QUIT SMILING
AT YOUR LAP
DROP IT AND DRIVE

It's begging for a hack that adds...

IT'S NOT AS BIG
AS YOU THINK IT IS

^That is hilarious  :rofl:

And we really do need signs like this because last night I watched an oblivious woman almost run through a red light on US34 in Oswego.  Her car didn't come to a complete stop until she was right smack in the middle of the intersection.  PAY ATTENTION, PEOPLE
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

The Travel Midwest site added a lot of arterial with no explanation. Before it just had Chicago from Bus speeds.Anyone know about it?

edwaleni

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 05, 2018, 03:57:28 PM
Quote from: ET21 on September 05, 2018, 09:48:18 AM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on September 04, 2018, 11:59:44 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on August 31, 2018, 08:54:11 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on August 30, 2018, 11:33:22 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2018, 09:28:59 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on August 29, 2018, 08:50:07 AM
There's talk of turning I-80 from Minooka to New Lenox into a tollway to fund the Will-80 widening project.

http://www.wcsjnews.com/news/local/interstate-near-minooka-could-become-tollway/article_85244a9e-ab82-11e8-94a5-83104e0797b4.html

OK, if it needs to be done, then it should be done.  At least it'll be out of IDOT's hands and their lack of maintenance.

That'd be fine with me. IDOT has really become more and more of a joke, and the gap in quality between the ISTHA and IDOT is quite apparent now. I say let the Tollway take over the entire portion from I-355 to at least Minooka, though one could make an argument to let them have the portion that goes to Morris or even out to I-39. Honestly, all of I-80 through IL would benefit from a widening, but I'll stop that pipe dream!

For me, I could easily bypass the tolls from where I live (I have a feeling Pine Bluff / Lorenzo Rd. south of the Illinois river would see a huge increase in traffic.)  As much as I hate the idea, I don't see any other way this project could be funded.

And I too support 3 laning 80 from Indiana to Iowa
What about 3 laneing I-88 (at least the tolled parts)?

I-88 doesn't really need 3 lanes past the Sugar Grove exit. Traffic runs pretty smoothly and since I-90 was completed the traffic has actually dropped a bit. Now maybe they can 3 lane it to IL-47 when that becomes a full interchange but otherwise keep as is

Honestly, past IL 47 would be overkill at this point, maybe to DeKalb or I-39 possibly, but West of I-39 has quite low traffic relatively speaking. Though the tollway has the resources to if they ever needed, I can think of much higher priorities on existing facilities, including 4 laning I-88 to Aurora and 4 laning I-355 North of Roosevelt once the portion South of there has been done (of course, this would require IDOT coordination North of Army Trail Road, so good luck!). Plus, cross country traffic and trucks looking to bypass Chicago would find it out of the way. Again, if the Tollway were to assume control of parts of I-80 ever, then you can rest assured they would immediately reconstruct and widen it, with it all being very justified.

I-88 traffic volumes between Rochelle and Sterling are very low.  There are a few people who commute from Sterling to the Deere plant in Moline and a few Deere suppliers. The rest is pass through.

paulthemapguy

QUIT SMILING
AT YOUR LAP
DROP IT AND DRIVE

Saw this in person yesterday on a VMS along I-55 northbound, between the Des Plaines River bridge and I-80.

Also, traffic on I-80 eastbound in Joliet is becoming jammed more and more commonly.  What gives?  I wish the Illiana was a thing.

edwaleni

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 12, 2018, 09:38:38 AM

QUIT SMILING
AT YOUR LAP
DROP IT AND DRIVE

Saw this in person yesterday on a VMS along I-55 northbound, between the Des Plaines River bridge and I-80.

Also, traffic on I-80 eastbound in Joliet is becoming jammed more and more commonly.  What gives?  I wish the Illiana was a thing.

Just curious, what kind of traffic do you think the Illiana would redirect from I-80?

If it is Quad Cities to Indy traffic, they already have I-74.

If is is transcon traffic, the Illiana would add time and miles to the trip and would relieve only if a accident on I-80 occurs.

Coming north and using the Illiana, will get you around to & from the west suburbs faster from NW Indiana.

I was for the Illiana, as I used to use the country roads west from Indiana to Peotone over to I-55, so I get that. But how do you think I-80 will benefit today?

Brandon

Quote from: edwaleni on September 12, 2018, 04:54:13 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 12, 2018, 09:38:38 AM

QUIT SMILING
AT YOUR LAP
DROP IT AND DRIVE

Just curious, what kind of traffic do you think the Illiana would redirect from I-80?

If it is Quad Cities to Indy traffic, they already have I-74.

If is is transcon traffic, the Illiana would add time and miles to the trip and would relieve only if a accident on I-80 occurs.

Coming north and using the Illiana, will get you around to & from the west suburbs faster from NW Indiana.

I was for the Illiana, as I used to use the country roads west from Indiana to Peotone over to I-55, so I get that. But how do you think I-80 will benefit today?

Given that the Illiana would be near the two very large intermodal yards, I suspect it would siphon off truck traffic headed to I-57, I-65, and even east on I-80/90 and I-94.  That truck traffic currently heads up I-55 and IL-53 to I-80.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

Quote from: edwaleni on September 12, 2018, 04:54:13 PM

Considering EB I-80/I-94 was backing up onto I-294 a few weekends ago without any incidents . . .

The Illiana would also make it easier to access the US 41 corridor in Indiana, fixing either the slog up to I-80/I-94, or the maze of backroads to get over to I-57 or IL 394.

Quote from: edwaleni on September 12, 2018, 04:54:13 PMI was for the Illiana, as I used to use the country roads west from Indiana to Peotone over to I-55, so I get that. But how do you think I-80 will benefit today?

The Illiana really should be brought back to life to have as a backup in case I-80/I-294 or I-80/I-94 has a major incident (truck fire damages a bridge; a repeat of the Joliet Road quarry incident) that closes the corridor for days.  It would also be an alternative for any long-term lane closures when I-80 is eventually rebuilt.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Brandon on September 12, 2018, 05:50:59 PM
Given that the Illiana would be near the two very large intermodal yards, I suspect it would siphon off truck traffic headed to I-57, I-65, and even east on I-80/90 and I-94.  That truck traffic currently heads up I-55 and IL-53 to I-80.

You guys would be amazed at the volume of trucks that clog up I-80 and I-55 to reach the intermodal freight facilities.  Giving them a new way to go would make a big difference.

inkyatari

The Illiana should have been built 30 years ago along the Laraway Rd. corridor.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

mvak36

IMO, they should just let ISTHA build and maintain that road.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on September 13, 2018, 08:53:37 AM

Typical IDOT, always 20-30 behind the curve.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 13, 2018, 12:36:45 AM

You guys would be amazed at the volume of trucks that clog up I-80 and I-55 to reach the intermodal freight facilities.  Giving them a new way to go would make a big difference.

IDOT was told, by the City of Joliet, the Village of Elwood, and Will County, back when these intermodal yards were in the planning stages, that I-80 and other routes in the region would need much more capacity.  IDOT, to their lack of credit, blew them off.

edwaleni

Quote from: Brandon on September 13, 2018, 10:39:45 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on September 13, 2018, 08:53:37 AM

Typical IDOT, always 20-30 behind the curve.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 13, 2018, 12:36:45 AM

IDOT was told, by the City of Joliet, the Village of Elwood, and Will County, back when these intermodal yards were in the planning stages, that I-80 and other routes in the region would need much more capacity.  IDOT, to their lack of credit, blew them off.

I think we need to see exactly who those intermodal yards are serving.  Is it truly distribution traffic going in all directions, or simply truck offload to a warehouse in Chicago or area?

If it merely servers greater Chicago, how would the Illiana help that, being mostly an east/west route? 

I would wholeheartedly agree if a majority of that intermodal to truck is going east into Indiana, Ohio or Michigan, then yes, an Illiana would make total sense.

That now defunct railroad proposal was to get intermodal transferred out of the Class 1's and into a more local provider where it could be switched to truck further away from the logistics center and closer to its destination regionally.  Unfortunately they had to admit they only $37 in the bank and it died.

johndoe780

Looks like IDOT added led lighting along 59 from 88 to Aurora Rd. Why couldn't they do that in the first place last year or so?

Brandon

Quote from: johndoe780 on September 19, 2018, 09:04:35 AM
Looks like IDOT added led lighting along 59 from 88 to Aurora Rd. Why couldn't they do that in the first place last year or so?

IDOT or the City of Naperville?  Oftentimes, the municipality is the one that maintains the lighting along the state route.  It's why Larkin Avenue (IL-7) and IL-59 through Joliet have LEDs.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Brandon on September 19, 2018, 09:18:58 AM

IDOT or the City of Naperville?  Oftentimes, the municipality is the one that maintains the lighting along the state route.  It's why Larkin Avenue (IL-7) and IL-59 through Joliet have LEDs.

I guarantee it's the City of Naperville. IDOT has this aversion to LED lighting for the most part. Just look at IDOT highways through the City of Schaumburg now. Every other roadway has LED lighting except for IDOTs main routes. It's actually quite embarrassing for IDOT, truly. Also, don't even get me started at Tollway/IDOT interchanges such as I-290 and IL 390.

ilpt4u

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 19, 2018, 11:31:13 PM

I guarantee it's the City of Naperville. IDOT has this aversion to LED lighting for the most part. Just look at IDOT highways through the City of Schaumburg now. Every other roadway has LED lighting except for IDOTs main routes. It's actually quite embarrassing for IDOT, truly. Also, don't even get me started at Tollway/IDOT interchanges such as I-290 and IL 390.
Down at the Southern end of the state, pretty sure City of Carbondale installed LED lighting along US 51 in downtown Carbondale...not IDOT, but not 100% sure. It really does look nicer and shines brighter

edwaleni

As far as road lighting, its all about the money.

IDOT does not have a program to replace the sodium vapor fixtures throughout the state, even though it is well documented that they are poor light sources and very inefficient compared to LED's.

It will not be cheap either. Those sodium vapor lamps all require an inductive ballast, which will have to be removed as part of any replacement program.

However, hope is around the corner.  Check the bids for the new 490 O'Hare bypass and I believe the fixtures are all slated to be LED, not sodium vapor.

The changeover is noticeable, even from space.  The ISS crews have noticed where large cities are changing out their legacy fixtures to LED's.

The cynical in me would like to think that the largest supplier of sodium vapor fixtures has someone in their hip pocket to maintain their lucrative replacement bulb business a little bit longer.

I can see that lobbyist in Springfield working that one.

With Illinois so broke right now and their politics completely broken, if someone came in and said they could spend $30 million to save $50 million on their $100 million power bill, they would probably vote it down because the lobbyist didn't pad the right pocket and then blame on it on the utilities because it threatened their lucrative power supply agreements. This is how Illinois "works".

Brandon

^^ The reason I-490 will have LEDs is because it will be built by ISTHA, not IDOT.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 20, 2018, 12:00:25 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 19, 2018, 11:31:13 PM

Down at the Southern end of the state, pretty sure City of Carbondale installed LED lighting along US 51 in downtown Carbondale...not IDOT, but not 100% sure. It really does look nicer and shines brighter

Or how about the lights along the I-90 Cumberland Project?? Did the city of Chicago or CDOT told them to add LED lighting along that stretch??

ET21

^ Speaking of the Cumberland flyover, it opened for Thursday's morning commute. Still have cleanup work to do and they've started on the westbound Kennedy lanes

Back to LED lighting talks
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

Quote from: ET21 on September 21, 2018, 08:50:51 AM
^ Speaking of the Cumberland flyover, it opened for Thursday's morning commute. Still have cleanup work to do and they've started on the westbound Kennedy lanes

Back to LED lighting talks
Awesome, I'm sure I'll get to experience it for myself when I'm driving for Uber this weekend, since all roads lead to (and from) O'Hare

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.