News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

See our supplemental freeway discussions. It was left as an option to continue North to 180 . The route was added as a supplemental after 180 to give the FHWA an CYA in it approval of 180.it was studied as part of a Peoria Chicago highway. But it's longer than 74 55 . Then there was an expressway study. It's on IDOTs site. It went nowhere. Even US24 is getting 4 lane as a substitute for 336.
This one looks done. IDOT did consider passing lanes once.

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on February 09, 2021, 05:46:16 PM
See our supplemental freeway discussions. It was left as an option to continue North to 180 . The route was added as a supplemental after 180 to give the FHWA an CYA in it approval of 180.it was studied as part of a Peoria Chicago highway. But it's longer than 74 55 . Then there was an expressway study. It's on IDOTs site. It went nowhere. Even US24 is getting 4 lane as a substitute for 336.
This one looks done. IDOT did consider passing lanes once.

The City of Chillicothe wants IL-6 extended to IL-29 just north of town. @Rick Powell sent me this link for the East Peoria Bypass study that would instead connect it with a bridge over the Illinois River.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on February 09, 2021, 11:55:25 PM
The City of Chillicothe wants IL-6 extended to IL-29 just north of town. @Rick Powell sent me this link for the East Peoria Bypass study that would instead connect it with a bridge over the Illinois River.
It is noted that this is a "Tier 1 corridor" that doesn't nail down the details of the route, and the full NEPA action won't be complete until Tier 2 is conducted (IF IDOT chooses to go forward) and receives a Record of Decision. Generally, the Tier 2 alternatives would fall within the boundaries of Tier 1, but could go outside it with justification and concurrence of the resource agencies.

edwaleni

Too bad I-155 is west of Morton. If this gets past Tier 2, it would have been pretty slick to simply take it and wrap it around Washington and over to IL-6 at Mossville.

I know what the original purpose of I-155 was way back when, it would have been just like what they did with IL-255 and took it all the way up to Alton.

Can't predict everything and every need unfortunately.

I-39

Quote from: edwaleni on February 10, 2021, 09:33:04 AM
Too bad I-155 is west of Morton. If this gets past Tier 2, it would have been pretty slick to simply take it and wrap it around Washington and over to IL-6 at Mossville.

I know what the original purpose of I-155 was way back when, it would have been just like what they did with IL-255 and took it all the way up to Alton.

Can't predict everything and every need unfortunately.

Wasn't this a proposal at one time?

In the first draft supplemental freeway 155 was part of the now 39 corridor it followed 121 through Lincoln to Decatur it headed north near 89 then veered back toward Dixon and followed 2 on the other side of the rock..

Then 180 happened and Illinois 29 was created. 39 and 155 went to the corridors they now have .

There was also for some reason a corridor along 24 to 55.
The Macomb Peoria followed the route it will now follow US 24 and Illinois.
The Illinois was near Kankakee.
Otherwise the 1965 map was same except 88 and 30.
That kept having shifts until it was built. That one was always for the tollway. You can see their 30 route on page 5 of this thread.

I don't know why the tollway  stopped at Sterling Dan Walker? He tried to kill the whole plan .

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on February 10, 2021, 10:09:31 AM

I don't know why the tollway  stopped at Sterling Dan Walker? He tried to kill the whole plan .

IDOT already had 2 FAP's from Rock Falls to Moline as part of the old US 30 Expressway plan. So the tollway ended there.

This got covered in another thread somewhere.

I wonder when the switch came because the original mandate took the East West to the Quad Cities. There was a full state tollway study from the 50s we had here but I can't seem to find it. It was a map posted year years ago.

Anyway the map on page 5 here is much more recent so at some time it went from Tollway to IDOT and I have never seen why.

As to that tollway report. I saw a hard copycat the Johns Hopkins Library dated 1954as I recall .. It predated the Interstates by 2 years. When they became official the tollway kept 3 corridors and the east West was mandated to go to the area of 67.
But somebody had the map here. I have been here since 2009.

Here to announce another road obituary for Illinois
The Peoria North Bypass in today's Federal Register.
It joins the U.S. 30 and US 51 project
Also we can assume US 24 replaced 336.
Also except for the Lebanon bypass US 50 gone per Edwaleni
IL 29 dormant since 2009 and US 20 earlier.
All that is left is US 67 and 34 and IL  127.

I-39

Quote from: 3467 on March 03, 2021, 09:17:20 AM

It would be nice if IDOT would remove projects from their site when they lapse, get cancelled.

I would like them to put them in with the old SRA  reports which was a big flop but historically intetesting.
They took 34 down while it's in the current plan and the need to add 24 and move 336 to storage.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: I-39 on March 03, 2021, 09:39:12 AM
Quote from: 3467 on March 03, 2021, 09:17:20 AM

It would be nice if IDOT would remove projects from their site when they lapse, get cancelled.

Their site gives me security errors when going into it. It's an absolute joke. Actually, they have sort of "hidden" the projects page as their doesn't even seem to be a direct link to it from the main page anymore, at least one easily found. It's kind of like IDOT realizes the page is useless, but they would rather just pretend it's not there rather than actually fix it. And don't even start me on the "Getting Around Illinois Page"...

Yes it does on my older browser not my newer one.
I got the traffic data to work on getting.
Type in the city. But it works only on the old browser.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: 3467 on March 03, 2021, 11:10:25 AM
Yes it does on my older browser not my newer one.
I got the traffic data to work on getting.
Type in the city. But it works only on the old browser.

I was using the latest version of Chrome with this error. It seems that they would just direct you to Getting Around Illinois rather than tell you what the actual projects are. Only exception is the also relatively obscure D1 construction update page, but its reliability of being updated is mediocre at best.

Rick Powell

Quote from: 3467 on March 03, 2021, 10:10:21 AM
I would like them to put them in with the old SRA  reports which was a big flop but historically interesting.
They took 34 down while it's in the current plan and the need to add 24 and move 336 to storage.
The SRA studies for IL 47 and IL 71/US 34 in Kendall County actually bore fruit, although what was built (or will be) didn't exactly follow the SRA blueprint because development pressures sort of overtook some of the signalized intersection spacings that SRA tried to preserve (the signal at Landmark on IL 47 just south of US 34 being one example). The last remaining stretches of the SRA plan on IL 71 and IL 47 are now in design and in the state's program, and US 34 is fully built out.

I should be more specific on the SRAs. I recall some of the 6 lane ideas especially Lake County hitting with a thud.
Also glad we didn't let the Prairie Parkway way money to to waste. It was well used.

I assume the cancellation pretty much means the end of Illinois 29 especially with 24 replacing 336.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 04, 2021, 09:42:58 AM
Peoria Bypass notice https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/03/03/2021-04321/notice-to-rescind-a-notice-of-intent-to-prepare-an-environmental-impact-statement-peoria-tazewell

So can I assume that the EIS study proposal was cancelled due to funding or a lack of interest by the IDOT District (or both?)

Since no study was actually performed, it cant be due to resistance of residents or inadequate traffic counts, since they were never compiled and reported on.

I went to the web page and they had meetings and traffic projetions. Those projections were low and the public response was strongly negative.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on March 04, 2021, 10:58:04 AM
Since no study was actually performed, it cant be due to resistance of residents or inadequate traffic counts, since they were never compiled and reported on.
Well, there was a study, and I'm sure a lot of work was done on it in the background, but the plug pulled before it got to the DEIS stage. Some IDOT projects got to a DEIS but never to the FEIS, and this one fell short of even that. The history of highways that were planned but never built around the Peoria area, starting with the Kerner Curve, is a long one. Add the Chicago-KC toll road, the IDOT Chicago-Peoria study that ended up with the IL 29 alternative, and now the Eastern Bypass to the list.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 04, 2021, 11:44:49 PM
Well, there was a study, and I'm sure a lot of work was done on it in the background, but the plug pulled before it got to the DEIS stage. Some IDOT projects got to a DEIS but never to the FEIS, and this one fell short of even that. The history of highways that were planned but never built around the Peoria area, starting with the Kerner Curve, is a long one. Add the Chicago-KC toll road, the IDOT Chicago-Peoria study that ended up with the IL 29 alternative, and now the Eastern Bypass to the list.

Do you know anything on the disposition of all the land IDOT owns east of the IL-336 stub at I-474? Contrary to popular belief, it does not all belong to Rocky Glen Park.

It only says the "land off Prairie Street was sold to the Hindu Temple in 2009". The Temple got a special road put in in 2017.

I never could find any plans on what that stub was going to end up doing east of I-474. The stub was built with some eastbound future in mind. When IDOT bought the land, it was just a bunch of apple orchards. Now it is forest.

2 local streets both dead end where IDOT owns the land (Apple Blossom and Hilltop Road). Before IDOT came along, these roads were connected. Ages ago there used to be signs posted saying "Property of IDOT" where the streets end.

IDOT either sold it or chose not to protect it. I always thought they were going to terminate IL-336 over at Farmington Road since I-474 has no exit ramps for it.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on March 05, 2021, 01:01:31 AM

Do you know anything on the disposition of all the land IDOT owns east of the IL-336 stub at I-474? Contrary to popular belief, it does not all belong to Rocky Glen Park.

It only says the "land off Prairie Street was sold to the Hindu Temple in 2009". The Temple got a special road put in in 2017.

I never could find any plans on what that stub was going to end up doing east of I-474. The stub was built with some eastbound future in mind. When IDOT bought the land, it was just a bunch of apple orchards. Now it is forest.

2 local streets both dead end where IDOT owns the land (Apple Blossom and Hilltop Road). Before IDOT came along, these roads were connected. Ages ago there used to be signs posted saying "Property of IDOT" where the streets end.

IDOT either sold it or chose not to protect it. I always thought they were going to terminate IL-336 over at Farmington Road since I-474 has no exit ramps for it.

I don't know much about the history of the land acquisition for 336, other than the issuing of the corridor protection and the short piece that was built on the east end. I'm sure someone in District 4 current or retired knows all the details.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 05, 2021, 09:20:53 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on March 05, 2021, 01:01:31 AM

I don't know much about the history of the land acquisition for 336, other than the issuing of the corridor protection and the short piece that was built on the east end. I'm sure someone in District 4 current or retired knows all the details.

Thanks, much appreciated. Some people have asked me why that stub is not signed. It actually is, its Peoria County Road 905!

A county road built to Interstate quality. Don't see that often!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.