News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on March 04, 2024, 12:57:07 PM
Should Illinois sign that stretch of I-80 better? Yes.

Is it reasonable for someone to not realize it's tolled based on the current signage? No.

There are many signs indicating you can pay with I-Pass or online, and most GPS directions note that there's a toll.

Exactly.

But some people think we should have lowest common denominator expectations for anyone who uses the toll road.  Signs are too small and not in the right location...there should be a bill by mail, etc. etc. etc.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on March 04, 2024, 01:04:10 PM
presence/absence of a toll doesn't say anything about how you need to pay

Correct.  Knowing that the upcoming highway is a toll road doesn't inform you that you can't pay cash, nor anything else like that.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 04, 2024, 01:26:53 PM
But some people think we should have lowest common denominator expectations for anyone who uses the toll road.

Expecting people to have done research ahead of time to find out how to pay for tolls along their whole route seems quite a few notches above planning for the lowest common denominator.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2024, 01:37:33 PM
Expecting people to have done research ahead of time to find out how to pay for tolls along their whole route seems quite a few notches above planning for the lowest common denominator.
Definitely.  Especially these days.  People setting out somewhere and then putting on the GPS an hour in when they realize they have no clue where they're going is the norm these days, as much as we may hate it.  Heck, I plan my trips out well in advance and would never have realized that I-80 has a few miles tolled across Illinois.  Thankfully I have E-ZPass so it's not something that personally affects me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KelleyCook

Someone claimed my experience was anecdotal 3 or 4 pages back, but I still say the pay-by-plate system doesn't work very well.

In 2022, despite it being non-MUTCD compliant sign, I did manage to follow its instructions to attempt to pay online; it just it wouldn't let me since it had no record of my car. It tells you it can take up to eight days, so I tried for a several more times over the next few months and eventually gave up thinking I got lucky. Of course ~6 months later I got a bill in the mail plus a small late fee.

Anyhow the system then worked in summer 2023; as of today, here is my whole and complete record on their website.

But note that I drove through twice this past November with this same car and license plate, yet still no toll assessed. At least I now know there is no luck, just lazy government workers; so I will check every month, and hopefully won't get an extra late fee assigned -- again.

Rothman

Quote from: KelleyCook on March 04, 2024, 10:28:11 PM
Someone claimed my experience was anecdotal 3 or 4 pages back, but I still say the pay-by-plate system doesn't work very well.

In 2022, despite it being non-MUTCD compliant sign, I did manage to follow its instructions to attempt to pay online; it just it wouldn't let me since it had no record of my car. It tells you it can take up to eight days, so I tried for a several more times over the next few months and eventually gave up thinking I got lucky. Of course ~6 months later I got a bill in the mail plus a small late fee.

Anyhow the system then worked in summer 2023; as of today, here is my whole and complete record on their website.

But note that I drove through twice this past November with this same car and license plate, yet still no toll assessed. At least I now know there is no luck, just lazy government workers; so I will check every month, and hopefully won't get an extra late fee assigned -- again.
Lazy public authority workers, you mean.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: vdeane on March 04, 2024, 08:35:03 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2024, 01:37:33 PM
Definitely.  Especially these days.  People setting out somewhere and then putting on the GPS an hour in when they realize they have no clue where they're going is the norm these days, as much as we may hate it.  Heck, I plan my trips out well in advance and would never have realized that I-80 has a few miles tolled across Illinois.  Thankfully I have E-ZPass so it's not something that personally affects me.

I imagine the short tolled section of I-80 burns a lot of out-of-state drivers, especially if they aren't going to/from the Indiana Toll Road. Of course, the Indiana Toll Road still uses tickets for drivers without E-ZPass, so even then you might not expect a single toll-by-plate.

That being said, the Illinois Tollway's attitude has always been "get a damn I/E-ZPass or suffer the consequences". They've been charging drivers double to pay in cash or online for years now, and they were way ahead of the curve on open road tolling. Dropping cash tolls is an extension of that. (Indiana, on the other hand, still doesn't have open road tolling or an E-ZPass discount.)

SEWIGuy

Quote from: KelleyCook on March 04, 2024, 10:28:11 PM

Yes. Your experience is anecdotal. Providing an anecdote doesn't change that.

edwaleni

So in anticipation of using the ISTHA pay by plate system, could I set up a out of state profile, place a balance on it (say $10) and when the charges come through the plate is already in the system and the bill can be paid immediately. No late fees.

The last time I paid online, it waived the fees because it was my first toll on the system and they wanted to induce me to register.

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 01, 2024, 06:09:49 AM
I've been using their website and app for over a decade and never had a problem.

Your experience is anecdotal. Providing an anecdote doesn't change that.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2024, 01:21:16 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 01, 2024, 06:09:49 AM
I've been using their website and app for over a decade and never had a problem.

Your experience is anecdotal. Providing an anecdote doesn't change that.

Pretty dishonest to clip that from a post where I also said the following.

"Look, I am not saying there aren't occasional problems. But it seems to me, having used the iPass system regularly for years, that huge non-payment problems or technical gliches are hardly chronic. In fact, they seem very rare. Just looking at some figures, it looks like only 3% of tolls get to the invoice stage."

kphoger

Honestly, I think 3% is fairly high.

At, say, 1800 vph, that's one driver's toll making it to the invoice stage every two seconds.
Male pronouns, please.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2024, 03:17:42 PM
Honestly, I think 3% is fairly high.

At, say, 1800 vph, that's one driver's toll making it to the invoice stage every two seconds.

1. I don't think its high.

2. Stop being a dishonest troll.

hotdogPi

1800 vph is already one car per two seconds as-is. Did you forget to apply the 3% to the total?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 05, 2024, 03:24:05 PM

I'm posting as someone who has, in the past, also had issues with a toll agency being able to accurately match up my toll "violation" with my address.  This resulted in a surprise 50-some-dollar expense a few years later.  Not Illinois, it's true, but the experience has certainly soured me on using all-electronic toll roads without a compatible pass.

At work, I also sit right next to the one responsible for invoicing field techs for toll violations—quite a few of which have been due to the elimination of cash toll booths and/or drivers' misunderstanding of signage.  Occasionally, it creates a headache for us to figure out who to charge, because it wasn't necessarily the same tech who had that vehicle at the time of the violation as is in that vehicle now.

You think I'm trolling, but I'm not.  What you call anecdotal and rare is, to me, an everyday occurrence.  What you call the lowest common denominator is, to me, regular folks.  What you call easy is, to me, complicated.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2024, 03:17:42 PM

Quote from: 1 on March 05, 2024, 03:26:52 PM
1800 vph is already one car per two seconds as-is. Did you forget to apply the 3% to the total?

Shit, yes.  It would be one car per sixty-six seconds.  That does seem more reasonable.  -ish.
Male pronouns, please.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2024, 03:32:32 PM

I'm posting as someone who has, in the past, also had issues with a toll agency being able to accurately match up my toll "violation" with my address.  This resulted in a surprise 50-some-dollar expense a few years later.  Not Illinois, it's true, but the experience has certainly soured me on using all-electronic toll roads without a compatible pass.

At work, I also sit right next to the one responsible for invoicing field techs for toll violations—quite a few of which have been due to the elimination of cash toll booths and/or drivers' misunderstanding of signage.  Occasionally, it creates a headache for us to figure out who to charge, because it wasn't necessarily the same tech who had that vehicle at the time of the violation as is in that vehicle now.

You think I'm trolling, but I'm not.  What you call anecdotal and rare is, to me, an everyday occurrence.  What you call the lowest common denominator is, to me, regular folks.  What you call easy is, to me, complicated.

Wow. Talk about a lack of perspective. You think it isn't rare because YOU have to deal with it everyday?  That's not how it works.

TheHighwayMan3561

I just have my card on file with ISTHA for the 1-2 times a year I go to IL since I don't feel the need to put the effort into an E-Z Pass.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

edwaleni

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 05, 2024, 03:41:08 PM

Wow. Talk about a lack of perspective. You think it isn't rare because YOU have to deal with it everyday?  That's not how it works.

I think we beat this one enough. Can we move on or should Mr Moderator break it off into a separate thread "Illinois Tollway Payments".

Rothman

Quote from: edwaleni on March 05, 2024, 10:38:45 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 05, 2024, 03:41:08 PM

I think we beat this one enough. Can we move on or should Mr Moderator break it off into a separate thread "Illinois Tollway Payments".
Last I checked, stepping between two guys fighting was a good way to get them to turn on you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: edwaleni on March 05, 2024, 10:38:45 PM

Not to mention there was already a separate thread for Illinois Tollway bickering discussions.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

hobsini2

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 03, 2024, 01:37:52 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 02, 2024, 10:38:04 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5779416,-87.547274,3a,37.5y,268.52h,100.53t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s2SYf3QjYNheijjbKBcYvAg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D2SYf3QjYNheijjbKBcYvAg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D43.203796%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

There's this sign before the start of the tollway...
4 lanes of heavily congested traffic with trucks, and a little (non-compliant at that) sign off to the right 1/4 mile before the last exit. But sure... signage. Sure hope you're not in any other lane but the right.

No compliant "Last Exit Before Toll" signage with yellow background, no 1 or 2 mile notice in advanced, no large yellow "Toll Road" signage on the mainline guide signs (just the word "Tollway" with normal background & small font hard to read if you're not paying attention to the small details.
Except there is this sign giving you 7 miles of notice that the Tri State Tollway is coming soon.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5739612,-87.447319,3a,23.7y,233.28h,97.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz7WA0Zmqn1D4JuKzz3nyzA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hotdogPi

That's nowhere near obvious, as those signs typically list cross streets, not the road you're on.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

sprjus4

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 13, 2024, 07:52:17 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5779416,-87.547274,3a,37.5y,268.52h,100.53t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s2SYf3QjYNheijjbKBcYvAg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D2SYf3QjYNheijjbKBcYvAg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D43.203796%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

4 lanes of heavily congested traffic with trucks, and a little (non-compliant at that) sign off to the right 1/4 mile before the last exit. But sure... signage. Sure hope you're not in any other lane but the right.

No compliant "Last Exit Before Toll" signage with yellow background, no 1 or 2 mile notice in advanced, no large yellow "Toll Road" signage on the mainline guide signs (just the word "Tollway" with normal background & small font hard to read if you're not paying attention to the small details.
Except there is this sign giving you 7 miles of notice that the Tri State Tollway is coming soon.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5739612,-87.447319,3a,23.7y,233.28h,97.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz7WA0Zmqn1D4JuKzz3nyzA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
What that would imply to me is that a toll road is intersecting the highway I'm on. Not that the highway I'm on becomes that tollway. No, that is not clear. Try again.

hobsini2

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 13, 2024, 08:08:45 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 13, 2024, 07:52:17 AM

What that would imply to me is that a toll road is intersecting the highway I'm on. Not that the highway I'm on becomes that tollway. No, that is not clear. Try again.

That is actually how they do it on the Wisconsin entry on I-94 as well. While the roadway does continue forward, you can't say there is no warning. Heading west on 80, there are 4 signs in 7 miles that mention the Tollway. Could there be more signage? Yes.
I would have a "Toll I-294 x miles" sign at Cline Ave. I would start using an APL sign at Calumet Ave. Have another APL at State Line Ave. There are ways to improve the signage. But to say that there is no warning is false when the last 2 gantries before the 94 split do say Tollway.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SEWIGuy

Quote from: 1 on March 13, 2024, 08:01:04 AM
That's nowhere near obvious, as those signs typically list cross streets, not the road you're on.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Apparently unless you have thirty signs, all in bright colors, and a lit up arrow at the last exit, its not good enough for some people.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.