News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads in Mad-Town 2015: Madison Road Meet - April 18, 2015

Started by SSOWorld, December 22, 2014, 10:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Get Mad!  Get on the road!  Get to Mad-Town as there's a mad meetup going

Date: April 18, 2015
Great Dane Pub and Brewery, 2980 Cahill Main, Fitchburg, WI

I will be setting up a reservation in March or early April.

The top exhibition of the tour will be on the Verona Road/West Beltline project - the interchange between Verona Road (US-18/151) and the Beltline (US-12/14). (http://projects.511wi.gov/web/veronaroad-18-151/) is a two-stage project that will build Verona road into a mostly freeway by 2019 (leaving a 3-way signalized interchange and a jughandle (complete with "All Turns here" sign) along with two SPUIs  - while leaving the free-flow out of the picture.  The Jughandle roundabout was constructed last year and this year the eastbound Beltline SPUI bridge is being built.  There is no exact start date to speak of other than "Spring 2015".  The westbound bridge will be built next year to complete the Beltline SPUI.

Also of note, is the expansion of I-90 from the Beltline Interchange (US 12/18) to the IL State Line, but other than a project that separates WIS-73 from US-12/18 with jughandles and upgrades it for an alternate route  - this project will be nothing more than a lunch topic.

In addition there are several other "points of interest" scattered about the city and surrounding area that will be on the tour.

For those who want to wander before and/or after, pretty much everything will be in Dane County - as much in Madison as possible.  I'll be putting a list of stuff that didn't make the tour on my website later to give a hint as to spots to find.

The Starting location/Lunch Venue will be selected as I get things organized.  Updates will be posted here, on Facebook and on my Website
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

GeekJedi

I've got a transmitter site up on the Baraboo bluffs.  I'll see if I can turn this into a "working" trip and get paid at the same time!  :-D
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

jpi

Looks like I am out, the weekend before this my wife and I will be in Pennsylvania, combo of nephew getting married and doing spring Steel City Con show in Pittsburgh and will more then likely be working either Friday April 17 or the day of the meet or both to get some time off for earlier in the week.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

I vote that the lunch venue must have fried cheese curds. Beer preferable.

hbelkins

Doubtful. Because the economy still sucks.

Quote from: Alps on December 23, 2014, 12:25:16 AM

I've found A&W's cheese curds to be pretty good. I think Culvers' are better, though.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

on_wisconsin

I'm in at this point.

The Great Dane could possibly make a decent eating /watering spot.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Big John

Will have to wait until closer to the date before I can commit.

Brandon

I don't want to commit just yet, but I'm placing the odds at 95% going.  I do have one stop to make on the way out of town, should I go - Rocky Rococo.  :cool:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kharvey10

Cannot commit more than a month in advance right now with my employer. 

JREwing78

DaBigE

Holy crap...a meet that's in my backyard! :-o :-o  I really got to check this part of the forum more often.  :pan:

Looks like I should be able to make it.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

DaBigE

The Great Dane and the Nitty Gritty fit those requirements, although the Great Dane has better/more easily accessible locations. :cheers:

algorerhythms

After the indigestion I got last night, I think I'm swearing off fried cheese curds forever. Or at least until I forget about last night.

And depending on how things work out, I may actually be in Madison when this happens.

getemngo

The usual Michigan contingent (A.J. and I) are coming. Sounds like Brian Reynolds is not.
~ Sam from Michigan

SSOWorld

Lunch Location chosen.  Great Dane Pub and Brewery

There is cheese - and apparently poutine (I have to see it to believe it though :sombrero: )

For those sticking around - I'm thinking of Nitty Gritty - if you have a birthday on that day - consider this a bonus :sombrero
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Is there an official motel for this meet? I'm fixin' to choose a hotel. I may select a certain $64 hotel betwixt Madison and Fitchburg.

HandsomeRob

There's a "between" between Madison and Fitchburg? I always thought they flowed together.

bandit957

Quote from: HandsomeRob on March 02, 2015, 11:23:41 AM
There's a "between" between Madison and Fitchburg? I always thought they flowed together.

I'm thinking of lodging at the Super 8 Madison South. Lodging is always costly though, and I hate spending zillions of dollars just to sleep.

I've already buyed a nonrefundable Megabus ticket from Cincinnati to Madison, so I'm going to this meet - unless personal illness or incarceration prevents it.

bandit957

I booked a motel, but it's the Motel 6 way out on Thierer Road. I couldn't get a room at any reasonable price at the Super 8.

JREwing78

Other roadgeeking sights you can take in on the way to or from Madison:

- The recent 6-laning of I-90 between Elgin and Rockford

- Hwy 26 4-laning between Milton, WI and the Hwy 16/60 interchange near Juneau, WI

- US-12 4-laning in and around Baraboo, WI

Big John

Barring some setback, I now should be able to make it.

SSOWorld

preliminary tour plan - NOTE: Need to refine a bit more.

and

Other catches NOTE: If you can find some historic relics of old highways - you will have caught me off guard - but given Wisconsin's reputation, you probably won't.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

DaBigE

If you do want to stop along the University Ave corridor, there is free parking available at a couple UW ramps on weekends, especially near the old button copy signs near the Engineering campus. Unless there is some big event, Lots 20 and 17 are generally ones I use on the weekends if I'm in the area. There are a couple in a lot behind the chemistry building off of Charter St, but usually that's only one or two spaces.

bandit957

John Nolen Drive actually looks somewhat interesting because it's sort of elaborate. This road seems to have some sort of tunnel near the lakefront. Maybe some generic rural roads west of town might be interesting, but they might be too far out of the way.

I've been looking at Madison on Google Maps, and Madison just doesn't have that many roads that are very elaborate or abandoned, let alone many old signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.