News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why do I keep winding up near Rt. 42?

Started by jeffandnicole, November 13, 2015, 12:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

I live a few miles away from NJ 42.

While in Ohio in October, I was in Medina...travelling on US 42.

Last week, during a trip to the Villages in Florida, I was within a few miles of FL 42.

Just a bit ironic how I was in 3 unrelated places, yet they all had a Rt. 42 nearby!

Otherwise, the trips were relatively uninteresting for stuff that probably is already talked about throughout these forums.  I drove 8 hours from NJ to Ohio, then 18 hours from NJ to FL (we had our 2 dogs with us this trip, so that accounted for some additional stoppage time). 

Maybe the only real notable things are more of various observations, and these are all from my Florida trip: 

We've taken this drive down to Florida pretty consistently every year for 5 years now, and I've noticed along the way some of the billboards are becoming quite faded.  I'm guessing we have probably seen the billboard every year we've travelled, and for whatever reason they are simply not replaced.

Fewer and fewer South of the Border billboards to be seen along the highway, especially on 95 South.  On 95 North, I remember seeing last year (well, January actually) in SC a billboard to the tune of "Highway bumpy ahead; Pedro Fix Later".  This clearly had to be mocking the road condition on 95 in South Carolina which was pretty atrocious.  This year that billboard was there, but there were notable fixes to the concrete surface on the highway.

Many states don't take care of their in-road reflectors very well, or replace them very often. 

Maryland's blue services signs are annoying.  Many logo plates aren't sized consistently with each other on the same sign.  And many businesses aren't right off of 95, but rather off another road off the exiting road, which requires you to travel quite a bit to get to them.

Also, Maryland's lack of good Express EZ Pass booths bothers me.  There is absolutely no reason why the Susquehanna Bridge toll plaza doesn't have a few express lanes.  And don't dare argue that it's due to the Rt. 222 exit just after the plaza...nearly every other toll plaza with Express lanes has similar interchanges nearby, and they all figure out a way to make them work.  Let's ignore the express lanes and just pay attention to the existing setup: The signage (https://goo.gl/maps/nU9GPDoX4Pk) still has you believe the left lane is for EZ Pass Only.  Except, to many motorists, you actually have to merge left into a decal lane to access the booth (https://goo.gl/maps/fjDQaFatjSx, then https://goo.gl/maps/vK9Fo7w7iBD2).  In reality, the left 3 booths are always reserved for EZ Pass, but the stripping takes you to the far left booth.  Those in the know, especially during busy traffic times, know to stay in the middle lane, then it's pretty easy to merge left into the other 2 booths...or take one of the other dedicated EZ Pass booths found elsewhere in the plaza.  The arrangement here has always been a head scratcher that doesn't flow well at all.

Also, the "express" booth at the 95 Fort McHenry Tunnel.  Why 30 mph thru the wide EZ Pass only lane?  When travelling southbound, traffic going thru the single EZ Pass lane remains in its lane, which becomes the far left tunnel lane.  There's no legal passing option to merge into or out of the lane.  So why force traffic to slow from 55 mph to 30 mph back to 55 mph?  (Same is true going NB...traffic in the far left tunnel lane at 55 mph slows to the 30 mph toll lane back to 55 mph, even though it always remains the single lane)

Why is there such a long 65 mph zone on I-95 in North Carolina?

roadman65

I have been wondering why NC has long 65 mph stretch as well.  I know from Fayetteville to Kenly the interchanges are too close as that was one of the first pieces of I-95 to open to traffic back, I am guessing circa 1965 or so.  However from Fayetteville to the SC Line should be 70 mph as the interchanges are sparse from each other.

When I first joined I asked the question and no one ever answered it, so I assume its something that someone does not know the answer to just like why are not all rural 4 lane divided highways in GA set for 65 mph is a mystery even to those living in GA. US 19 between FL and Thomasville is still 55 while all the rest of US 19 north of Thomasville to Albany is 65 in rural areas.  Even near Leesburg, GA, one geek on here lives not too far, and is amazed that Georgia will not allow 65 mph on a rural 4 lane section of US 19 there when nearby US 82 is 65 mph with the same character and even more traffic on it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 13, 2015, 12:51:38 PM
I live a few miles away from NJ 42.

While in Ohio in October, I was in Medina...travelling on US 42.

Last week, during a trip to the Villages in Florida, I was within a few miles of FL 42.

Just a bit ironic how I was in 3 unrelated places, yet they all had a Rt. 42 nearby!

42 is the meaning of life ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2015, 01:22:40 PM
I have been wondering why NC has long 65 mph stretch as well.  I know from Fayetteville to Kenly the interchanges are too close as that was one of the first pieces of I-95 to open to traffic back, I am guessing circa 1965 or so.  However from Fayetteville to the SC Line should be 70 mph as the interchanges are sparse from each other.

When I first joined I asked the question and no one ever answered it, so I assume its something that someone does not know the answer to just like why are not all rural 4 lane divided highways in GA set for 65 mph is a mystery even to those living in GA. US 19 between FL and Thomasville is still 55 while all the rest of US 19 north of Thomasville to Albany is 65 in rural areas.  Even near Leesburg, GA, one geek on here lives not too far, and is amazed that Georgia will not allow 65 mph on a rural 4 lane section of US 19 there when nearby US 82 is 65 mph with the same character and even more traffic on it.

All parts of I-95 in NC opened before ~1970 are 65 mph except north of US 158 which has been largely rebuilt and has good exit spacing and geometries.

On the older parts (exits 17-40; 56-107) there are narrow shoulders (none on many of the bridges which date back as far as the early 1950s) and exit geometries are bad and some of the exit ramps are extremely short.

But not to worry...people drive 75 or more on these parts too whenever traffic allows...

Mike
Drove this entire stretch twice in the last 4 days...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 14, 2015, 04:20:57 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2015, 01:22:40 PM

All parts of I-95 in NC opened before ~1970 are 65 mph except north of US 158 which has been largely rebuilt and has good exit spacing and geometries.

On the older parts (exits 17-40; 56-107) there are narrow shoulders (none on many of the bridges which date back as far as the early 1950s) and exit geometries are bad and some of the exit ramps are extremely short.

But not to worry...people drive 75 or more on these parts too whenever traffic allows...

Mike
Drove this entire stretch twice in the last 4 days...

Interesting...must be an overly cautious state rule about that then, considering I didn't notice any issues regarding the shoulders or short accel/decal lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.