News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Left Turn Bridge

Started by US71, August 07, 2018, 07:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

I had to go see my sister in Elkins, AR the other day (that's all I'll say about that). Heading out AR 16, I crossed the West Fork White River Bridge and encounyered a Left Turn lane in the middle of the bridge. WTF?
My best guess is maybe it will be 4 lanes in the future when 16 is widened? The Middle Fork bridge is also 3 lanes

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

Pretty sure NY 3 has a three-lane bridge as well.

I get that you can't use the lane on the bridge itself, but if it's needed on either end, it makes sense to (a) provide storage capacity for turns, and (b) avoid alignment changes for thru traffic (aka consistency).

Tom958

plain

When I first saw the title of this thread I was thinking you meant something like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/Vq375sHjpUP2
Newark born, Richmond bred

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US71 on August 07, 2018, 07:53:18 PM
I had to go see my sister in Elkins, AR the other day (that's all I'll say about that). Heading out AR 16, I crossed the West Fork White River Bridge and encounyered a Left Turn lane in the middle of the bridge. WTF?
My best guess is maybe it will be 4 lanes in the future when 16 is widened? The Middle Fork bridge is also 3 lanes

That's a short bridge and the lane is useful for driveways on either side. There are tons of examples of center turn lanes on land with no place to turn for lot longer distances than this.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 07, 2018, 10:54:47 PM

That's a short bridge and the lane is useful for driveways on either side. There are tons of examples of center turn lanes on land with no place to turn for lot longer distances than this.

That is not why they are there. I happen to live off of Ark 16 and cross that bridge multiple times every day. When they rebuilt the bridge to handle four lanes the striped it as a normal two lane across and the damn fools were passing on the wide shoulders.  They added the turn lane to narrow the shoulders and prevent idiots from using it to pass.

The stupid thing was to nearly simultaneously redo the bridge  and widen Ark 16 to Stonebridge and not the mile in between the two.  People use the right lane from the 16/Crossover light not to turn right otoward the golf course at Stonebridge but to gun it and cut in just past the Stonebridge light as the lane ends. Since its all been finished two people have died in accidents at the bridge. Horriffic crashes at that. This road is slammed with traffic and it's getting worse by the day as houses fly up in this booming area.

jakeroot

I see these in WA from time to time, though they are more often than not marked with two double solid yellow lines and maybe some chevron markings (a flush median of sorts), not traditional TWLTL markings.

In some cases, the center lane could be for left turns onto a future freeway on-ramp. That's the case for this bridge in Des Moines, WA (access to future WA-509).

rte66man

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on August 10, 2018, 10:17:04 PM

That is not why they are there. I happen to live off of Ark 16 and cross that bridge multiple times every day. When they rebuilt the bridge to handle four lanes the striped it as a normal two lane across and the damn fools were passing on the wide shoulders.  They added the turn lane to narrow the shoulders and prevent idiots from using it to pass.

The stupid thing was to nearly simultaneously redo the bridge  and widen Ark 16 to Stonebridge and not the mile in between the two.  People use the right lane from the 16/Crossover light not to turn right otoward the golf course at Stonebridge but to gun it and cut in just past the Stonebridge light as the lane ends. Since its all been finished two people have died in accidents at the bridge. Horriffic crashes at that. This road is slammed with traffic and it's getting worse by the day as houses fly up in this booming area.

They could resolve that by placing some concrete bollards in the wide shoulders.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US 89

Quote from: rte66man on August 12, 2018, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on August 10, 2018, 10:17:04 PM

They could resolve that by placing some concrete bollards in the wide shoulders.

Then where are you going to pull over if you have a flat tire?

hbelkins

I had to go see my sister in Elkins, AR the other day (that's all I'll say about that).

What, your sister, or the name of the town?  :-D :-D :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.