AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

on: Today at 12:23:58 AM 
Started by Buck87 - Last post by Hot Rod Hootenanny
For example, let's say the Lancaster Bypass was done in the '70s. It would probably start at about the mall since there weren't any traffic lights between Carroll and the mall until the Meijer opened up in the '90s. None. No houses on W. Fair west of the Campground. It would have hugged the city much more closely and would have re-joined the old road near Memorial Drive and Ford St. where Lancaster Sales used to be.

Mind you, Memorial Dr. was the "original" bypass for 33 around Lancaster. Similar in scope to 23 in Delaware and 16 in Newark. All designed in the late 50s/early 60s then built in the mid 60s.

on: Today at 12:13:15 AM 
Started by Dough4872 - Last post by Hot Rod Hootenanny
1500 miles along I-40 from its western terminus in California to somewhere in Arkansas.
Distant second for me would be I-75 at 1,090 miles from Atlanta to the Canadian border.

on: Today at 12:09:20 AM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by ErmineNotyours
I miss the days of Micky D's when:

[snip]

•  (And this goes way back:)  employees having to write down the order and physically calculate the total on a pad of paper befire ringing it up in the manual cash register!!!

I worked at a McD's front counter in summer 1974, and don't remember having to go through that. Maybe you have in mind pre-1970s?

I was born in 1967 and wouldn't remember anything pre-70s.  In the late 70s on the way back from a camping trip, the line for eating inside was slow so I had plenty of time to watch the drive-thru workers writing down each order with a grease pencil on a wipeable plastic grid.  What a thing to do all day.  By the time I worked there a few years later it was all-electronic.  I also remember the microphone system at Burger King where the order taker repeated everything you ordered into a microphone that you could hear being amplified from the kitchen.

on: Today at 12:05:02 AM 
Started by TheBox - Last post by achilles765
I have my “wildest dream” scenarios for Houston, my beloved adopted home town:

Routes converted to freeway/tollway/expressway:
Hempstead road (expressway style like US 90 Alt) from IH 610 to grand parkway
SH 6: freeway from US 290 to south of Grand Parkway (south)
A freeway route paralleling FM 1488
US 90 Alt from IH 69/US 59 to outside of grand parkway
Designating the following routes:
FM 1764—-> Interstate 145
NASA 1 bypass——-> interstate 545
Spur 330——> interstate 710
Spur 527—-> interstate 569, and extend along roughly Fannin/San Jacinto to downtown
Grand parkway from IH 69/US 59 in sugar land to IH 69/US 59 in the northeast——> interstate 469
Hardy roll road——> interstate 445(and designate it from IH 45 in downtown, multiplex with IH 69, IH 610 from current terminus)
Airport connector——> interstate 769
Beltway 8——> interstate 245

on: March 18, 2024, 11:51:34 PM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by ErmineNotyours
Chevron maintains one Standard station in each state of their old territory to maintain the trademark.  I was surprised when I saw the Bellevue, Washington Standard station through the window of a Denny's I was eating at.

on: March 18, 2024, 11:27:17 PM 
Started by mgk920 - Last post by Max Rockatansky
Farrington Highway at Kaʻena Point State Park since Hawaii got brought up.

on: March 18, 2024, 11:27:03 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by webny99
I found the coolest interactive eclipse map this weekend, but was browsing in incognito and now I can't find it. It had lines for every 15 seconds of totality, which was cool to see how narrow the bands start out and widen towards the centerline. It wasn't a generic eclipse site since I've searched everything I can think of trying to find it. I think I was looking up parks and places to view the eclipse and stumbled onto it somehow. It also had known eclipse events listed in pink and known/recommended parks within the path listed in green.

In short... if anyone knows what I'm talking about or finds it, please share!  :D

on: March 18, 2024, 11:17:25 PM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by mgk920
Several years ago I caught a hilarious clip on YT of what happens when you put a standard chicken egg into a microwave oven and hit 'high'.  The door did not survive it.   :-o

Also, isn't the oven's transmitting antenna on its inside top?

Mike

on: March 18, 2024, 11:13:48 PM 
Started by mgk920 - Last post by ErmineNotyours
This use to be a road in Hawaii: https://www.alamy.com/solidified-lava-flow-across-the-land-and-east-coast-road-with-a-speed-restriction-sign-half-covered-on-hawaii-island-hawaii-image387000615.htm

Fixed if for 'ya.

https://www.alamy.com/solidified-lava-flow-across-the-land-and-east-coast-road-with-a-speed-restriction-sign-half-covered-on-hawaii-island-hawaii-image387000615.html

on: March 18, 2024, 10:55:07 PM 
Started by mgk920 - Last post by mgk920
As everyone likely knows, in the 2000s, there was a proposal to extend the Metra line from Kenosha to Milwaukee. The extension was cancelled but appears to have been revived (along with a Madison-to-Milwaukee rail line): https://www.wisbusiness.com/2024/two-wisconsin-passenger-rail-ideas-back-on-the-study-track/. What do all of you think about these proposals? I'm not practically enthusiastic about them since I'd prefer utilizing buses between cities, but I am willing to hear feedback from others.

I'm more bullish on the idea of restoring inter-city rail passenger service in the I-41 corridor to Green Bay, including reclaiming and restoring the Eisenbahn State Trail (former CNW grade via West bend) for rail use as part of the route.  From all that I am aware of, the pre-May 1971 CNW service to Green Bay via Appleton was operating at a profit 'above the rails' and Amtrak wanted to take it over at their startup at that time, but other factors, many of which are no longer valid issues, prevented that.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.