News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: Zeffy on June 30, 2015, 12:40:59 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on June 30, 2015, 12:14:41 PM
I did in fact see I-295 shields down there on my way to AC almost a week ago - I'd say the shields at NJ 42 and I-295 were in fact, Series C but Series D shields still dominate the area.

Have they changed from when I took these almost exactly a year ago going to Camden?

And PHLBOS is right - the sign odditude is referring to is nowhere near this interchange. It's on the (future I-295) segment of I-95 about 3 miles north of Trenton, one exit after crossing into New Jersey over the Delaware River.
I was on I-76 EB and NJ 42 SB; I don't know about the signs on I-295.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jeffandnicole

I did in fact see I-295 shields down there on my way to AC almost a week ago - I'd say the shields at NJ 42 and I-295 were in fact, Series C but Series D shields still dominate the area.

Have they changed from when I took these almost exactly a year ago going to Camden?

And PHLBOS is right - the sign odditude is referring to is nowhere near this interchange. It's on the (future I-295) segment of I-95 about 3 miles north of Trenton, one exit after crossing into New Jersey over the Delaware River.

While we have now discovered we're talking about 2 completely different highways that have nothing to do with each other...

Just to recap these signs: They are still there, although I think they will be gone shortly.  They are working in the median installing drainage, a new jersey barrier (I mean, a jersey barrier that is new, not a new new jersey barrier! :) ) and pavement, so these signs appear they will need to come down so they do their work in the area.

qguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 15, 2015, 11:03:37 AM
My one issue with NJDOT at these meetings are they are generally unwilling to give too much info about the project...

It's also clear that this project is just another item of work to them.  Rarely do they live in the area, so I can't even talk about other projects in the area.  They're not familiar with them either on a work level or personal level.

Even after I get thru to them that I'm a bit more familiar than the average person on these projects, it's a bit tough to communicate with them.  They're only going to provide a certain amount of info. Sometimes I'm pretty aware they probably know a bit more, but won't or not permitted to say more, or truly they don't know about what I'm referring to.

Have you observed a difference between NJDOT and contractor personnel? Before I started working for PennDOT District 6, I noticed that contractor personnel on a project were much more cards-close-to-the-vest, but that PennDOT personnel, especially project managers and Community Relations Coordinators (CRCs) in the engineering districts, would dump as much information on me as I wanted, often much more than I asked for. After I joined PennDOT, I noticed this from the inside as the PennDOT and contractor personnel interacted with the public.

The contractors almost always have blinders on for their own projects. Usually nearby projects are designed or constructed (or both) by other, unrelated companies. The contractors may be aware of them, but they rarely know any details about them.

The PennDOT project managers, though, know quite a lot about other projects in their district. Sometimes it's another one of their own projects; often it belongs to another project manager, but they're usually reasonably well informed on it, even if it's not managed directly by them. They almost always live in the same engineering district, but probably not in the immediate neighborhood of the project.

BTW (and here's an example of extra information you didn't ask for), some of the PennDOT design or construction project managers in engineering district 6-0 (the five counties of southeast PA) are directly responsible for up to three times the number of major projects that their counterparts manage in the other 11 engineering districts. (The level of activity in that district is just so much higher than the rest of the state. Quite the workload.) Does NJDOT see a difference like that between the northern and southern portions of NJ?

NJRoadfan

The contractor that drew up the plans for the "missing moves" project appears to be Dewberry.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 30, 2015, 09:59:33 PM
The contractor that drew up the plans for the "missing moves" project appears to be Dewberry.

Dewberry is the contractor for both the Missing Moves and the large 295/76/42 project.  I got to know and recognize the main contacts for the large project pretty well.  I didn't recognize anyone from Dewberry at the recent Missing Moves meeting.

Quote from: qguy on June 30, 2015, 08:52:40 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 15, 2015, 11:03:37 AM
My one issue with NJDOT at these meetings are they are generally unwilling to give too much info about the project…

It's also clear that this project is just another item of work to them.  Rarely do they live in the area, so I can't even talk about other projects in the area.  They're not familiar with them either on a work level or personal level.

Even after I get thru to them that I'm a bit more familiar than the average person on these projects, it's a bit tough to communicate with them.  They're only going to provide a certain amount of info. Sometimes I'm pretty aware they probably know a bit more, but won't or not permitted to say more, or truly they don't know about what I'm referring to.

Have you observed a difference between NJDOT and contractor personnel? Before I started working for PennDOT District 6, I noticed that contractor personnel on a project were much more cards-close-to-the-vest, but that PennDOT personnel, especially project managers and Community Relations Coordinators (CRCs) in the engineering districts, would dump as much information on me as I wanted, often much more than I asked for. After I joined PennDOT, I noticed this from the inside as the PennDOT and contractor personnel interacted with the public.

The contractors almost always have blinders on for their own projects. Usually nearby projects are designed or constructed (or both) by other, unrelated companies. The contractors may be aware of them, but they rarely know any details about them.

The PennDOT project managers, though, know quite a lot about other projects in their district. Sometimes it's another one of their own projects; often it belongs to another project manager, but they're usually reasonably well informed on it, even if it's not managed directly by them. They almost always live in the same engineering district, but probably not in the immediate neighborhood of the project.

BTW (and here's an example of extra information you didn't ask for), some of the PennDOT design or construction project managers in engineering district 6-0 (the five counties of southeast PA) are directly responsible for up to three times the number of major projects that their counterparts manage in the other 11 engineering districts. (The level of activity in that district is just so much higher than the rest of the state. Quite the workload.) Does NJDOT see a difference like that between the northern and southern portions of NJ?

NJDOT splits themselves into 3 regions: North, Central and South.  (http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/directory/northregion.shtm links general maps of all 3).  I would imagine that the South region sees a bit less work than the Central & North.

As far as my experiences go though, everyone in those meetings are reluctant to talk about any other projects. 

jeffandnicole

For those of you interested in providing your comments and opinions on future NJDOT, NJ Transit and other New Jersey projects, the official commenting period is now open or will soon be open so you can provide suggestions on transportation-related projects.  Comments during this period are on the record, and are officially responded to.

Generally, those that comment are writing about pedestrian and bicycle issues.  While the overwhelming majority drive, there are very few if any comments about roads and highways.  The second-highest group of commuters - those that take mass transit - are also under-represented.  For the most part, this public commenting period is not known to most people.  At least with the DVRPC, people with a keen interest in bicycling are actually over-represented, so they use their social and online groups to write in letters and such.

Highway users can do the same.  It will be nice to get additional comments in this year, to show that roads and highways do matter as well.  My only suggests:  Be reasonable (the comment period isn't to suggest changes in laws; it's to comment on proposed projects or suggestions for projects), and try to suggest the agency the comment should be sent to; ie: NJDOT.  (A few years back, several of my comments obviously dealing with state roads were sent to county agencies to respond.  Obviously, they came back saying the road wasn't part of their jurisdiction.  Why the DVRPC would send a comment about a state road to a county office is beyond me.)

Here's the proposed 2016-25 TIP: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/stip1625/

If you want to send in a comment regarding roads/highways in the Philly 4 county area (Mercer, Burlington, Camden, Gloucester):

http://www.dvrpc.org/newsletters/dvrpcnews/2015/July/

Input Needed on Long-Range Plan, NJ TIP, and Transportation Conformity

This summer, DVRPC will open a 30-day public comment period for the following:
Draft FY 2016-2019 New Jersey Transportation Improvement Program (NJ TIP)
Draft Amendments to the Long-Range Plan, Connections 2040
Draft Transportation Conformity Finding
NJDOT Draft FY 2016 - 2025 Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP)

The public comment period will open on July 9, 2015 and close at 5 p.m., August 10, 2015.

DVRPC will also host two public meetings on these important documents that guide growth in the region. The first will be on July 23, 2015 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at DVRPC's offices, 190 N. Independence Mall West, 8th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19106. Web conference is available for the July 23rd public meeting. Please register by July 16, 2015 by contacting 215-592-1800 or public_affairs@dvrpc.org. The second meeting will be on July 30, 2015 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Cherry Hill Library, 1100 Kings Highway North, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034.

Comments must be submitted in writing and may be emailed to tip-plan-comments@dvrpc.org, faxed to 215-592-9125, or submitted online at:
NJ TIP
Connections 2040
Transportation Conformity

For more details, contact Alison Hastings, Manager of the Office of Communications and Engagement, at 215-238-2929 or ahastings@dvrpc.org.

If you want to comment about other South Jersey Counties: http://www.sjtpo.org/Documents/TIP/16-25/TIP_PublicMeetingFlyer.pdf

There should be a comment period for North Jersey as well, although I haven't seen anything posted.

J Route Z

Some are really amazing projects coming up. Is it true that the amount in millions lined up under the year that says in the CON phase means when they will start such projects? So a lot won't begin until 2019. Also I thought the state was practically bankrupt!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 30, 2015, 06:06:53 PM

While we have now discovered we're talking about 2 completely different highways that have nothing to do with each other...

Just to recap these signs: They are still there, although I think they will be gone shortly.  They are working in the median installing drainage, a new jersey barrier (I mean, a jersey barrier that is new, not a new new jersey barrier! :) ) and pavement, so these signs appear they will need to come down so they do their work in the area.

Well, one of them is gone...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J Route Z on July 07, 2015, 06:24:30 PM
Some are really amazing projects coming up. Is it true that the amount in millions lined up under the year that says in the CON phase means when they will start such projects? So a lot won't begin until 2019.

Which table are you looking at here, or are you looking at individual projects?  I can usually find a chart showing the breakdown of costs by phase, but I didn't see it yet. 

There's a few Construction phases.  For the most part, CON is the normal one used here.  EC and ERC (Engineering/Right of Way/Construction) can also be found.  A lot of it depends on the routes or areas that you are looking at, and/or how much money is tied up in a particular project.

QuoteAlso I thought the state was practically bankrupt!

This message gets blown up in newspapers and especially in opinions.  The state spends a lot of money, no doubt, but it's far from bankrupt.

In the 2015 budget for example, only about 4% of the entire state budget goes to the Department of Transportation.  In other words, 96% of the budget goes to everything else.  But what do people focus on? What they see.  And Roads and Highways - along with buses and trains - are by far the most visible of state services.  Education, while visible and always in the news, tends to be focused on more around election time and tax time and uses up over 6x more money.  And Human Resources is a much less visible state department, but yet spends nearly 4x more state money than DOT.

But guaranteed, statements dealing with bankruptcy are always heard when it comes to transportation projects, as if they can't spend a penny.  The state has a budget of around $35 billion.  No one ever talks about bankruptcy when discussing the other $33 Billion of state expenses, because most of those services are invisible to the public.  They just focus on the $2 Billion of state funds spent by DOT, and even more narrow than that - the actual construction going on.  They still ignore the Billion or so of that $2 Billion spent on studies, right of way, engineering, trash pick up, bridge inspections, etc, etc.

(NJDOT's actual budget is something close to $5 Billion, but a lot of that money comes from other sources, such as the Feds, Toll Roads, etc)

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 08, 2015, 09:47:54 AM
But guaranteed, statements dealing with bankruptcy are always heard when it comes to transportation projects, as if they can't spend a penny.  The state has a budget of around $35 billion.  No one ever talks about bankruptcy when discussing the other $33 Billion of state expenses, because most of those services are invisible to the public.  They just focus on the $2 Billion of state funds spent by DOT, and even more narrow than that - the actual construction going on.  They still ignore the Billion or so of that $2 Billion spent on studies, right of way, engineering, trash pick up, bridge inspections, etc, etc.

(NJDOT's actual budget is something close to $5 Billion, but a lot of that money comes from other sources, such as the Feds, Toll Roads, etc)

Hm.  I'm wondering how the state's first instance funding for the federal funds is figured into those figures.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Small plane with sky jumpers loses power and lands in median of NJ 72.

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2015/07/plane_lands_safely_outside_home_depot.html#comments

Route 72 isn't exactly a great emergency area to land a plane: Busy roadway with shore traffic, traffic lights, narrow grass median with signs and other stuff, and power lines lining both sides of the road and crossing the highway. The pilot deserves a lot of credit for missing all of that stuff.

Roadway remained open, with just the left lane closed in both directions.

NJRoadfan

Don't know if he missed everything, looks like there is wing damage on the plane. All I know is, that Cessna 210 will likely never see service again.

dangerb407

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 07, 2015, 08:59:06 AM

Here's the proposed 2016-25 TIP: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/stip1625/

A lot of love in Bergen County for Route 4; no mention at all of the Route 17 bottleneck which is more than a bit disconcerting

Alps

Quote from: dangerb407 on July 13, 2015, 12:21:13 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 07, 2015, 08:59:06 AM

A lot of love in Bergen County for Route 4; no mention at all of the Route 17 bottleneck which is more than a bit disconcerting
The 17 bottleneck website will be updated once the project has new information. That's your best bet to monitor progress.

J Route Z

I saw some clearview signs along I-195 westbound today, near exit 2. Holy crap you can't miss these. I know this was discussed before but are these new regulations? They finally installed a large exit guide sign on westbound I-195 eastbound, just before NJ Turnpike bridge, approaching exit 7 in Robbinsville (this has been missing for a few years, since NJT widening).

Zeffy

Quote from: J Route Z on July 19, 2015, 07:28:04 PM
I saw some clearview signs along I-195 westbound today, near exit 2. Holy crap you can't miss these. I know this was discussed before but are these new regulations? They finally installed a large exit guide sign on westbound I-195 eastbound, just before NJ Turnpike bridge, approaching exit 7 in Robbinsville (this has been missing for a few years, since NJT widening).

They were test signs for Clearview. NJDOT has said they will not be pursuing Clearview any further for the state.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2015/072815.shtm

NJDOT and NJ TRANSIT announce plans for handling crowds expected for the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park on Sunday

Additional trains and traffic management aim to ease congestion

(Trenton) - The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) and NJ TRANSIT announced today plans to help move a record number of attendees going to the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park to see Triple Crown winner American Pharoah this Sunday, August 2.

"With record crowds expected to come out to see Triple Crown winner American Pharoah at the Haskell Invitational this weekend, NJDOT and NJ TRANSIT have developed a plan to move people in and out of Monmouth Park as safely and efficiently as possible,"  NJDOT Commissioner and NJ TRANSIT Chairman Jamie Fox said. "We are adding additional trains dedicated to fans departing after the race, and implementing traffic management plans with local law enforcement to keep traffic moving on Route 36 to the Garden State Parkway." ...

jeffandnicole

Well, this is a little unusual. The NJSP posted on Facebook and Instagram to say that there ISN'T a speeding ticket frenzy, they don't use p/t troopers, and the Ford Crown Victorias were discontinued 4 years ago!

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 31, 2015, 01:55:19 PM
Well, this is a little unusual. The NJSP posted on Facebook and Instagram to say that there ISN'T a speeding ticket frenzy, they don't use p/t troopers, and the Ford Crown Victorias were discontinued 4 years ago!
If one does a quick web-search; this NJSP ticketing frenzy memo for the end of July has been circulating in one form or another since 2005.  Such likely explains the 30 brand-new unmarked Crown Victorias reference (newer senders forgot to update the reference). 

The upshoot: it was a hoax then; it's a hoax now.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ekt8750

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 31, 2015, 03:20:15 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 31, 2015, 01:55:19 PM
If one does a quick web-search; this NJSP ticketing frenzy memo for the end of July has been circulating in one form or another since 2005.  Such likely explains the 30 brand-new unmarked Crown Victorias reference (newer senders forgot to update the reference). 

The upshoot: it was a hoax then; it's a hoax now.

And from what I've seen NJSP doesn't have a single Taurus PI on their force and have been buying Caprices PPV lately.

PHLBOS

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 31, 2015, 03:29:28 PMAnd from what I've seen NJSP doesn't have a single Taurus PI on their force and have been buying Caprices PPV lately.
This was discussed in the New Jersey Turnpike thread a while back; but NJSP will have to be looking for another vehicle after the 2016 model year.  The Holden-based Caprice is officially on death-row since Holden made the decision to get out of the car manufacturing business roughly a year ago.

That aside, I've seen a few Tahoe PPVs (not the new 2015 models) in NJSP colors as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SteveG1988

NJ route 38 is being repaved from Mount holly NJ to Hainesport NJ, they are doing it over the night time hours, and have been doing one lane at a time.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Roadrunner75

I just noticed today that there appears to be a new HAWK signal installation on NJ 35 in Seaside Heights along the bay side at a pedestrian crosswalk here (Streetview taken before the installation):
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.945928,-74.079133,3a,66.8y,355.96h,90.11t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scrl0dwo5mE7eG1NOfqDgFA!2e0?force=lite

I haven't actually seen these before, but I've heard about them on this forum.  It will be interesting to see how well these do with NJ drivers (and all the out of state vacationers) who haven't seen them before - especially after they switch to the alternating red phase.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to see them activated when I passed by.  Next time..

storm2k

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 09, 2015, 08:51:43 PM
I just noticed today that there appears to be a new HAWK signal installation on NJ 35 in Seaside Heights along the bay side at a pedestrian crosswalk here (Streetview taken before the installation):
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.945928,-74.079133,3a,66.8y,355.96h,90.11t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scrl0dwo5mE7eG1NOfqDgFA!2e0?force=lite

I haven't actually seen these before, but I've heard about them on this forum.  It will be interesting to see how well these do with NJ drivers (and all the out of state vacationers) who haven't seen them before - especially after they switch to the alternating red phase.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to see them activated when I passed by.  Next time..

The one on 27 by Metropark works fairly well. The trick is knowing the actual traffic law, like that you can proceed after stopping when the red lights are blinking (not solid). I think they're proving to be effective, because I know there's one on Port Reading Ave by the church in Port Reading and another one on Central Ave in Westfield going towards Clark.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 09, 2015, 08:51:43 PM

Next time you gotta stop & activate the light yourself! :-)

Because there are so few of these lights in NJ, there will be a learning curve.  As long as there's signage visible to the motorists, especially those at the stop line, they should be able to figure it out.

If anything, something I've seen (which I mentioned before) is motorists from out-of-state are getting too used to a flashing yellow arrow for left turns. Sometimes these motorists will sit at a green light refusing to turn because there's no flashing yellow arrow!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.