News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

possible Kings Dominion trip

Started by noelbotevera, January 25, 2016, 06:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Hi everyone! I'm thinking of a Kings Dominion trip sometime in late June 2016.

We'll stay at the Best Western Richmond Airport in Sandston.

My route plan would be to take I-81 > VA 55 > US 29 > US 33 > VA 54 > US 1 > VA 30

Basically I take advantage of all the low traffic routes.

Now in the park, I want to get the best rides first...I know Intimidator 305 is a must to get first.

EDIT: I found a hotel in Doswell that only charges $95 a night and is half a mile to a mile from Kings Dominion. La Quinta Inn. I've adjusted my route.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Rothman

For an 11-year-old, you get around.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TravelingBethelite

When I was your age (gosh, I sound like an old fart), I was lucky to go on one trip a year. That's neat. Congrats!
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Zeffy

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on January 26, 2016, 08:07:38 AM
When I was your age (gosh, I sound like an old fart), I was lucky to go on one trip a year. That's neat. Congrats!

I was that way until I turned 21. Must be nice...

Since I just went to KD not too long ago, I can give some tips. First, if you are interested in riding the rides as many times as possible, it would be worth it to invest in a fast-lane/fast-lane plus for the day. Many of the rides support this, and you practically get to cut to the front of the line for a smaller amount more, of course if you have more than 2 people the price gets a bit pricey.

In the park, there is a lot of walking distance to be covered, so make sure you're in something comfortable. The rides themselves are sort of clustered by section; however the journey from section to section is much larger than it looks. Ride lines tend to fill fast after opening, so prioritize ones you want to ride without having to wait 45 minutes.

Ride-wise, Intimidator 305 was fucking awesome, but if you ride that ride I would suggest not hopping onto the next one right away as the G-forces overwhelmed me quickly and I nearly felt nauseous after three rides.

Volcano is also a fucking sweet beast, and I almost like that more than Intimidator. The lines for both of these tend to be long and get longer as time goes on so plan accordingly. They are relatively close together anyway. Other good rides are Flight of Fear (unless you're scared of the dark), Rebel Yell (unless you don't like wooden roller coasters), but really they are all pretty cool. 
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

noelbotevera

Well, here's the route plan. I changed stuff around.

Shortened.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

noelbotevera

My dad usually hates long routes, so an alternative is to use US 17 from Winchester to Fredericksburg, then I-95 the rest of the way. Is there anything to really be warned about?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

spooky

Quote from: Rothman on January 26, 2016, 08:01:13 AM

When I was 11 we took a lot of trips by car. I even typically knew where we were staying and would think about the route we would take. Still, routing would be solely determined by AAA's TripTik and/or my dad.

hbelkins

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 27, 2016, 10:18:02 AM
My dad usually hates long routes, so an alternative is to use US 17 from Winchester to Fredericksburg, then I-95 the rest of the way. Is there anything to really be warned about?

Depending on the time of day, extremely long backups on 17 approaching 95.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

I-95 southbound can be severely congested at any point between I-495 at Springfield and I-295 north of Richmond on weekends and holidays.  This is in addition to the long backups that can be encountered on U.S. 17 approaching I-95 in southern Stafford County.

U.S. 1 through Fredericksburg is generally not a viable bypass or bail-out route if I-95 is congested.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

noelbotevera

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 28, 2016, 09:33:57 PM

I-95 southbound can be severely congested at any point between I-495 at Springfield and I-295 north of Richmond on weekends and holidays.  This is in addition to the long backups that can be encountered on U.S. 17 approaching I-95 in southern Stafford County.

U.S. 1 through Fredericksburg is generally not a viable bypass or bail-out route if I-95 is congested.
Yeah, I think around Fredericksburg I could get crafty and use city streets around to get south of the city on US 1, but I have no idea what US 1 is like from Fredericksburg to VA 30. US 17 I know from Winchester to I-66 is a mix of four lane road to four lane divided, and with a fairly high speed limit (somewhere around 55 mph, IIRC).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Pete from Boston

Quote from: spooky on January 27, 2016, 10:23:52 AM
Quote from: Rothman on January 26, 2016, 08:01:13 AM

When I was 11 we took a lot of trips by car. I even typically knew where we were staying and would think about the route we would take. Still, routing would be solely determined by AAA's TripTik and/or my dad.

Half the reason I am here (most?) is because I'd spend a lot of those trips going through every item in that goody bag.  I recall poring over the TourBook, and yes, perhaps comically proposing hotel choices based on what I'd found.  My father would humor me; my mother was happy to have someone to defer to.  I learned early on that I could parlay this into fairly easily luring my mother into taking some alternate route I'd never seen.  Sorry, Mom.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 28, 2016, 10:37:55 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 28, 2016, 09:33:57 PM

Yeah, I think around Fredericksburg I could get crafty and use city streets around to get south of the city on US 1, but I have no idea what US 1 is like from Fredericksburg to VA 30. US 17 I know from Winchester to I-66 is a mix of four lane road to four lane divided, and with a fairly high speed limit (somewhere around 55 mph, IIRC).

I usually look at it this way: Find the straightest route to your destination.  If a reasonable highway detour exists, it's probably a viable route.  If you wind up taking a route with 25 mph speed limits and numerous turns, you're going to be going a lot slower than you would have on a congested highway.  Even if you're averaging 30 mph in congestion, it's still faster than moving 25 mph and stopping at red lights.

Once you start considering city streets, you're overthinking it. 

1995hoo

US-1 is fine once you're south of Massaponax. It doesn't usually get too crowded and it moves along OK. It's been a few years since I've been on there, but the speed limit is almost surely no higher than 55. Going 60 wouldn't be an issue. Much faster than that and you'd probably stand out.

If you're really concerned about the Fredericksburg-area traffic, you can continue down US-29 to VA-3, follow that to just east of Wilderness and make a right at the Valero station (I think it's Brock Road), and follow that down though Spotsylvania Courthouse to Route 606. Make a left and it takes you to US-1 or I-95, both near Thornburg (Exit 118). It is not a very fast route, though not a very slow route either except through Spotsylvania CH. The part through the battlefield can be a pretty drive with lots of trees along the road. You probably don't want to take Route 3 all the way east to I-95 due to a lot of annoying traffic lights and traffic due to shopping areas....unless you're hungry, in which case there are a lot of options through there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

noelbotevera

Not too concerned if Fredericksburg just causes a slowdown, but if it's full on long congestion, I might consider trying alternate routes.

Also, in the park, I'm planning to go to Soak City at the same time. Anything that's of interest there?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Mapmikey

US 17 between US 50 and I-66 is 2-lane and has a 45 mph for its entire length..

US 1 below Massaponax truly is fine unless 95 is closed for an incident.

Going through the City of Fredericksburg is unlikely to help much...however, you can get to VA 2 using US 17 Bus, VA 218, VA 212, VA 3 Bus, and VA 3 Bypass without going through the city and VA 2 down to VA 30 is always empty...you can also get to VA 2 using US 17 south from Exit 126.

Mike
on location in Austin TX

Thing 342

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 30, 2016, 10:14:40 AM
Not too concerned if Fredericksburg just causes a slowdown, but if it's full on long congestion, I might consider trying alternate routes.

Also, in the park, I'm planning to go to Soak City at the same time. Anything that's of interest there?
Soak City (previously known as WaterWorks) had a huge overhaul last year, and I've heard that it's quite nice now. Personally, I haven't been since I went there on a 103° day and had my shoes stolen.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 31, 2016, 09:37:32 PM
US 17 between US 50 and I-66 is 2-lane and has a 45 mph for its entire length..

US 1 below Massaponax truly is fine unless 95 is closed for an incident.

Going through the City of Fredericksburg is unlikely to help much...however, you can get to VA 2 using US 17 Bus, VA 218, VA 212, VA 3 Bus, and VA 3 Bypass without going through the city and VA 2 down to VA 30 is always empty...you can also get to VA 2 using US 17 south from Exit 126.

Mike
on location in Austin TX
Forgot about that segment of US 17.

Am I going to be south of Massaponax on US 1? If not, I'll try to get to VA 2.

I-95 isn't worth the traffic.

EDIT: It turns out i can just take US 17 Business to VA 2, is that little wandering added to avoid traffic on US 17 Bus?

EDIT 2: I can also get to VA 2 via US 17. Wikipedia shows this, but I could be wrong.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

froggie

QuoteI-95 isn't worth the traffic.

This is only true if you have a very low tolerance of not averaging 10MPH above the speed limit.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2016, 08:19:10 AM
QuoteI-95 isn't worth the traffic.

This is only true if you have a very low tolerance of not averaging 10MPH above the speed limit.

Huh?  The last couple of times I've been down through there, I-95 was absolutely miserable south of the Beltway solidly to Aquia and then off-and-on all the way to Richmond.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Which tells me a lot about when you traveled it.  A lot of I-95 is reputation.  True, it gets very heavy traffic, but that traffic is fine most of the time except for certain peak periods.  Many (most?) of the complaints I hear from people about it are those who can't stand going at or near the speed limit because of moderate traffic.

Also, aside from heavy duty holiday peak periods, it's not bad south of Fredericksburg.  And it's usually fine weekend/holiday mornings regardless of location or direction.

noelbotevera

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2016, 11:53:31 AM
Which tells me a lot about when you traveled it.  A lot of I-95 is reputation.  True, it gets very heavy traffic, but that traffic is fine most of the time except for certain peak periods.  Many (most?) of the complaints I hear from people about it are those who can't stand going at or near the speed limit because of moderate traffic.

Also, aside from heavy duty holiday peak periods, it's not bad south of Fredericksburg.  And it's usually fine weekend/holiday mornings regardless of location or direction.
Noted.

I'm ok with some congestion, but from this forum I've heard that Fredericksburg has some pretty bad traffic.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2016, 11:53:31 AM

My most recent trips were on weekend mornings, southbound (non-holiday).  Traffic was crowded and far below the speed limit.

This was without any incidents reported.

froggie

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2016, 04:00:05 PM
That's not normal.

...which means I-95 is more unpredictable than you've described.

renegade

Damn, kid ... don't over-think it, just go ...
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.