News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Street view road trips.

Started by idk, October 20, 2020, 01:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idk

I don't know if this quite qualifies for this section, but...

What are some road trips some of you are taking in street view with google maps. I am trying to go all the way from the west to the east coast using I-90.

mrsman

There is someone on Twitter who generally comments about the NY subway who decided to do a Seattle to NYC road trip via streetsview:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1273985637625061376.html

While the threadreader sees to only capture the first part of the trip, if you follow his posts from June to mid-October you can get all the way across the counrty.  He labeled it #SEANYC, a play on scenic, and very good job of explaining the parts along the way that he was interested in.  He very rarely stayed on the interstate.

Max Rockatansky

I used Google Maps images at the height of the pandemic to help illustrate highway articles in Northern California (granted, these are all highways I've drive before).  Now that I've gone back and obtained new photo stock I'm replacing those Google images with my stuff.  I may employ the practice in the future if I feel a Highway has an interesting story I want to talk about but don't have sufficient photo stock to illustrate. 

Aside from that, I have zero interest in really exploring anything new to me full scale by way of Google Maps.  I usually scout out highways I drive for points of interest but I also not having roads spoiled completely.

JoePCool14

I find "driving" with Street View a bit too cumbersome. It crashes way too frequently if I keep clicking around to "go" anywhere. I usually just plop myself down at an intersection or interchange and explore that. Then exit the view and move somewhere else.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

KCRoadFan

Right now I'm following the entire length of US 20 from Newport, OR, to Boston, MA. (Before that, I traced US 1 from Fort Kent, ME, to Key West, FL - and I also followed the path of the old Lincoln Highway from NYC to San Francisco.)

JoePCool14

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 20, 2020, 10:14:20 AM
Right now I’m following the entire length of US 20 from Newport, OR, to Boston, MA. (Before that, I traced US 1 from Fort Kent, ME, to Key West, FL - and I also followed the path of the old Lincoln Highway from NYC to San Francisco.)

How long did that take you?!

STLmapboy

One week during quarantine, when I had way too much time on my hands, I followed 10 from LA to Jacksonville.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 20, 2020, 01:25:05 PM
One week during quarantine, when I had way too much time on my hands, I followed 10 from LA to Jacksonville.

Dear lord, are you a sadist?  Even driving I-10 is incredibly dull. 

CoreySamson

Right now I'm on a trip where I started in Houston and "drove" along the Gulf Coast, generally paralleling I-10, I've gone through Lafayette, New Orleans, and Biloxi. Now I'm in Foley, Alabama, and I'm planning to go to Panama City and Orlando but after that I don't know (I don't have a particular endpoint in mind).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kendancy66

I am using street view to "drive" on route 66.  I started in Chicago at the east beginning.  I just leave it open in my browser, and view when I am not busy.  I use historic66.com to stay on track.  So far I have made it to Odell, IL.  Some of the alignments cannot be street viewed though

KCRoadFan

Quote from: kendancy66 on October 20, 2020, 04:48:03 PM
I am using street view to "drive" on route 66.  I started in Chicago at the east beginning.  I just leave it open in my browser, and view when I am not busy.  I use historic66.com to stay on track.  So far I have made it to Odell, IL.  Some of the alignments cannot be street viewed though

Oh, that was the other one! I followed Route 66 as well!

KCRoadFan

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 20, 2020, 11:57:37 AM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 20, 2020, 10:14:20 AM
Right now I'm following the entire length of US 20 from Newport, OR, to Boston, MA. (Before that, I traced US 1 from Fort Kent, ME, to Key West, FL - and I also followed the path of the old Lincoln Highway from NYC to San Francisco.)

How long did that take you?!

Don't remember exactly. I think it took me about four to six months.

hbelkins

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 20, 2020, 08:29:41 AM
I find "driving" with Street View a bit too cumbersome. It crashes way too frequently if I keep clicking around to "go" anywhere. I usually just plop myself down at an intersection or interchange and explore that. Then exit the view and move somewhere else.

Agreed. Street View would be much better if it had a "play" button that would advance you automatically.

Kentucky's photolog viewer has a "play" function that lets you speed up the playback in various timeframes. It's a good way to explore state-maintained roads here. I wish Google had that ability.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JoePCool14

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2020, 05:06:41 PM

Agreed. Street View would be much better if it had a "play" button that would advance you automatically.

Kentucky's photolog viewer has a "play" function that lets you speed up the playback in various timeframes. It's a good way to explore state-maintained roads here. I wish Google had that ability.

That would be an epic screensaver if that was possible!

STLmapboy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 20, 2020, 02:12:30 PM

That would be masochism, but no. Although the stretch through Texas took a bit.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CNGL-Leudimin

I've done this for a long time. Before things messed up I would do the Grand Cycling Tours on a yearly basis (except if one of them entered Germany, which as we know is out of bounds). This year I've been forced to do something different. So far I've done the following big trips:
- Chicago to Seattle via North Dakota. Dang, doing Bismarck to Billings in one sitting was too much...
- Max Rockatansky called STLmapboy a sadist due to him following I-10 all the way, I don't know what Max would call me, as I did the entire length of I-29 :sombrero:, ending in Winnipeg. At times it became too much of a hassle, especially in Canada.
- A lap around Spain, starting and ending at home as it should be.
- Coast to coast, Coney Island to the Santa Monica Pier on I-95, I-66, I-81, I-40, I-30, I-20, I-10, ending with Route 66.

All the American trips were done hopping between Ronald McDonald Houses, this explains why I was hunting them: to have some reference point present all across the country. However this means if I'm going out West I'm restricted to a couple routes to keep things sane, and I've already done both. The trip around Spain was different, as I followed the route of a virtual relay race that started and ended near Madrid, and since it also went through my hometown (thanks to my input :sombrero:) I decided to depart from home and once I reached the finish I did a short connection to the start in order to continue.

And that not counting the many day trips I've done, like crossing the entire length of Castile and Leon, or returning home from Madrid (departing from... what not, a Ronald McDonald House).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

I get frustrated enough with Street View crashing, locking up, or moving too fast/slow that I can't take more than a mile or two. I couldn't put up with that for dozens of miles, let alone thousands of miles.

Hats off to those who do it, but it's just not my thing.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 20, 2020, 08:23:51 AM
Aside from that, I have zero interest in really exploring anything new to me full scale by way of Google Maps.  I usually scout out highways I drive for points of interest but I also not having roads spoiled completely.

I feel the same way; I like a few surprises.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 20, 2020, 11:32:33 PM

That would be masochism, but no. Although the stretch through Texas took a bit.

I've done I-10 coast to coast twice behind the wheel.  I'm not sure how I stayed awake in retrospect on those drives, it gets incredibly boring at times east of New Orleans and west of San Antonio.  It would have been the fast route when I moved in 2016 but I elected to detour via; US 98, I-59, US 49, I-20, and US 180 to get past the worst part.  I would have taken US 70 and US 60 from Lordsburg to Phoenix too if the former wasn't closed.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm now thinking of doing a more in-depth trip across the USA, connecting all FM transmitters of a given frequency. Tentatively that frequency would be 98.5, as it is the one that ignited my DX hunt (I can receive two different stations at home without interference, I only need to move the antenna to change from one to the other) and also happens to be valid in both sides of the Atlantic. Now that would require a lot of time to complete (both planning and the actual trip)...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 20, 2020, 08:23:51 AM
I used Google Maps images at the height of the pandemic to help illustrate highway articles in Northern California (granted, these are all highways I've drive before).  Now that I've gone back and obtained new photo stock I'm replacing those Google images with my stuff.  I may employ the practice in the future if I feel a Highway has an interesting story I want to talk about but don't have sufficient photo stock to illustrate.

I would avoid doing that. Google retains the copyright to satellite and Street View imagery. Even though it's all public spaces they can and do claim an artistic copyright over the photos. Obviously, the chance of Google finding it and doing anything about it is slim, but when I create content I avoid using illustrations I don't have a right to use just as good ethical practice.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: formulanone on October 21, 2020, 06:45:21 AM
I get frustrated enough with Street View crashing, locking up, or moving too fast/slow that I can't take more than a mile or two. I couldn't put up with that for dozens of miles, let alone thousands of miles.

You can say that again. I saw on You Tube once a video of some highway on Street View, which avoided all that slowness, and it was interesting to watch, since you got a nice bird's eye view of the road without windows and all that getting in the way.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Roadgeekteen

I've tried taking trips across the country, I usually quit in a long desolate stretch like the Nevada desert.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

D-Dey65

I don't know. I'd like to check out more of the rest areas and weigh stations, and such along I-10 in Florida.

CNGL-Leudimin

I've now gone back to normal with the cycling races. Before kicking off the season at the Paris-Nice I did another, short trip through the Upper Midwest, starting in Duluth, ending in Chicago and passing through, of all places, Marshfield WI (guess where I was calling it a day xD). I've already done the Giro on the originally planned route, and I'm waiting for the definitive Tour roadbook to come out before I set out again. I've also seen I-70 West of Denver (in fact the entire route from Denver to Los Angeles, done in several trips), as well as a few other routes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.