AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Japan  (Read 51693 times)

bing101

• Last Login: Today at 01:54:25 PM
Re: Japan
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2021, 11:55:44 AM »

Here is a city tour of Tokyo.

bing101

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2021, 10:51:29 PM »

bing101

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2021, 05:10:49 PM »

bing101

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2021, 01:05:14 PM »

bing101

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2021, 09:01:41 PM »

Here is another video from Kagoshima and from Tokyo.

bing101

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »

bing101

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2021, 01:32:17 PM »

bing101

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2021, 11:08:24 AM »

bing101

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2021, 11:02:28 AM »

bing101

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2021, 03:27:05 PM »

Here is more from Japan.

bing101

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2021, 09:58:46 AM »

bing101

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2021, 04:52:11 PM »

bing101

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2021, 10:53:46 AM »

Here is a tour from the area of the Olympics.

bing101

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2021, 11:38:12 AM »

mrsman

• Last Login: Today at 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2021, 06:50:33 PM »

Unfortunately, I forgot the timestamp, but somewhere on this video, you see a six aspect signal where a red ball, green left arrow and green straight arrow are displayed.  It was a little disconcerting to see people proceed at full speed on a red ball, but obviously the red ball controls the right turn (against opposing traffic in Japan and other left side countries) and the green arrows control the straight and left movements.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 09:09:51 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2021, 10:22:30 PM »

Unfortunately, I forgot the timestamp, but somewhere on this video, you see a six aspect signal where a red ball, green left arrow and green straight arrow are displayed.  It was a little disconcerting to see people proceed at full speed on a red ball, but obviously the red ball controls the right turn (against opposing traffic in Japan and other left side countries) and the green arrows control the straight and left movements.

I'm noticing this right around the 21:00 mark.

This is basically how Japan does protected-only signals. Unlike American signals, however, the green arrows do not immediately mean "protected movement". As you can see in the video, left turns still have to yield to the crosswalk on a green left arrow. Of course, it may be that left-facing green arrows mean "movement in this direction permitted", not protected, apart from right turn green arrows (which are protected).

I do wish Japan would innovate a little in the signal area. The current setup is fine if there is no intent to ever use protected phasing. And to be fair, Japan rarely used protected-only phasing, even at double or triple right turns, so there was rarely a reason to innovate. But if they intend to make this more common, they should consider using maybe flashing yellow arrows or something. The current setup is a little awkward.

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: Today at 10:18:01 PM
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2022, 07:48:55 AM »

So what keeps the Japanese from rioting over these outrageous tolls? Do they just accept that highways are expensive to build in a mountainous, earthquake-prone country?

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 11:08:55 PM
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2022, 07:54:42 AM »

So what keeps the Japanese from rioting over these outrageous tolls? Do they just accept that highways are expensive to build in a mountainous, earthquake-prone country?
Same reason we don't riot here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

westerninterloper

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:10:51 PM
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2022, 03:59:50 PM »

Same reason we don't riot in the US for a lack of public transportation. We've become used to it, and there are alternatives.

It is far more economical to take the train in Japan for a single person travelling to almost anywhere in the country. Highways are mostly used by families on vacation (when the train becomes too expensive or crowded during holidays), buses and some delivery trucks. Rarely does a single driver commute by car over the toll roads; these roads are not meant to handle commuting like US highways.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

fwydriver405

• Last Login: Today at 09:48:14 PM
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2022, 03:25:12 AM »

I'm noticing this right around the 21:00 mark.

This is basically how Japan does protected-only signals. Unlike American signals, however, the green arrows do not immediately mean "protected movement". As you can see in the video, left turns still have to yield to the crosswalk on a green left arrow. Of course, it may be that left-facing green arrows mean "movement in this direction permitted", not protected, apart from right turn green arrows (which are protected).

I do wish Japan would innovate a little in the signal area. The current setup is fine if there is no intent to ever use protected phasing. And to be fair, Japan rarely used protected-only phasing, even at double or triple right turns, so there was rarely a reason to innovate. But if they intend to make this more common, they should consider using maybe flashing yellow arrows or something. The current setup is a little awkward.

Wonder if Japan, with the signals running protected-only phasing, if they run any kind of lead-lag phasing at all, and/or if they have any kind of yellow trap issues there?

In the video, it appears that their PPRT signals run the permissive phase first (yield on circular green), then run lag-lag operation before running phasing on the cross street. Not sure if Japan uses any kind of leading lefts at all with PPRT and/or if their signals are pre-timed (no gap-out if an approach is out of vehicles)...

In_Correct

• Safety > Danger ... Road Buffets > Road Diets

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:23:52 PM
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2022, 03:57:52 AM »

Same reason we don't riot in the US for a lack of public transportation. We've become used to it, and there are alternatives.

It is far more economical to take the train in Japan for a single person travelling to almost anywhere in the country. Highways are mostly used by families on vacation (when the train becomes too expensive or crowded during holidays), buses and some delivery trucks. Rarely does a single driver commute by car over the toll roads; these roads are not meant to handle commuting like US highways.

And because their systems have been in place for very long time. No reason to oppose.

In United States, there is often opposition to any Infrastructure Project, and costs can be expensive to build particularly a National Passenger Rail Network. It is one of the reasons why I welcome Beautiful Toll Roads and driving often on them.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2022, 04:45:48 PM »

Wonder if Japan, with the signals running protected-only phasing, if they run any kind of lead-lag phasing at all, and/or if they have any kind of yellow trap issues there?

In the video, it appears that their PPRT signals run the permissive phase first (yield on circular green), then run lag-lag operation before running phasing on the cross street. Not sure if Japan uses any kind of leading lefts at all with PPRT and/or if their signals are pre-timed (no gap-out if an approach is out of vehicles)...

From what I can tell from the videos I've seen, signals seem pre-timed and not based on any sort of actuation, apart from by pedestrians at certain intersections (from research, "automatic walk" seems to be the norm).

To us, this seems really ass-backwards, especially for a tech-forward country like Japan. But they do have a few differences from us. First, the vast majority of right turns (across traffic) are permissive, even those with two or three lanes, and it seems assumed that, at these intersections, the solid green cycle will allow most traffic to turn. So, the green arrow, which again is at the end pretty much everywhere I've seen, is relatively short. So most intersections effectively operate with two phases, with a short green arrow at the end if necessary -- many junctions are fully permissive. Second, many areas have lots of pedestrians, so vehicle-actuated signals would get very annoying for pedestrians, so pre-timed signals seem to be preferred as a result.

All this said, I would really love to visit Japan and see for myself more about how everything works because these are all just my guesses from what I can see in videos and on Street View.

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 07:55:49 PM
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2022, 12:46:00 AM »

And because their systems have been in place for very long time. No reason to oppose.

In United States, there is often opposition to any Infrastructure Project, and costs can be expensive to build particularly a National Passenger Rail Network. It is one of the reasons why I welcome Beautiful Toll Roads and driving often on them.
I’m starting to come around to tolled roads for the very reason they can circumvent the bullshit ass endless red tape the FHWA makes DOTs clear.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2022, 03:16:26 PM »

I noticed this junction in Tokyo has both vertical and horizontal signals. Horizontal in the standard places, vertical in the median (only installed recently):

https://goo.gl/maps/8X8phRdYX1C2cekH7

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2022, 05:45:44 PM »

Does anyone here know anything about Okinawa?

I'm moving there at the end of this month. I've been doing a ton of research, but would love to know more if anyone can add anything.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.