News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I40 Crosstown Nearly Ready to Open

Started by rte66man, December 02, 2011, 01:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okroads

I took a few pics today of the soon-to-be old I-40 East signs and a few pics of the new I-40 area:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/sets/72157628689523651/with/6623980273/

bugo

Is the "old" I-40 alignment that will still be a freeway going to remain a state highway?  Will it have a number?

brownpelican

They're gonna tear down the old highway and convert it to a boulevard. Whether it will have a state route assigned to it, I don't know.

okroads

Quote from: bugo on January 04, 2012, 07:29:50 PM
Is the "old" I-40 alignment that will still be a freeway going to remain a state highway?  Will it have a number?

Between Western & I-35, the old I-40 bridge will be turned into an at-grade boulevard. Between Penn & Western, the road will remain basically the same as it is now. All of the old I-40 route will become Business Loop I-40 when the boulevard is complete.

rte66man

Althouogh I didn't get to go to the opening, one of my co-workers brought me the press kit. I will try to get it scanned and posted in a few days. Meanwhile, there is a great video of the opening caravan at:
http://newsok.com/eastbound-lanes-of-new-interstate-40-crosstown-open-for-traffic-in-oklahoma-city/article/3637717

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Chris

It looks pretty good, especially the bridges.

bugo

They get 10 lanes while 169 in Tulsa is still 6?

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on January 06, 2012, 12:02:05 AM
They get 10 lanes while 169 in Tulsa is still 6?

The major impetus for this project was the deteriorating condition of the old bridge. According to the politicians that spoke at the opening ceremony, getting traffic off the elevated Crosstown alignment was priority one for the state government, for safety reasons. While they were doing that, they wanted to future-proof the new highway, thus the 10 lanes. One speaker (either Rep. Lankford or State Sen. Bingman, can't remember which) suggested the goal was to make the new freeway last until the 22nd century, although I figure that's probably hyperbole and not going to happen.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rawmustard

Ray LaHood blogged about yesterday's opening of this project. That "40 Forward" flag shown in one of the photos looks mighty enticing.

rte66man

OK, got some of the press kit material scanned in. It can be seen at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rte66man/sets/72157624834879162/

I didn't scan all the postcards.  There also was a very large cardboard satellite shot with the new rout drawn in. It is the same as the one on ODOT's site, but much larger and sharper.

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

okroads

vtk

Quote from: The Situation™ on December 06, 2011, 08:40:05 PM
Quote from: rte66man on December 04, 2011, 09:02:18 AM
It brings up the interesting scenario whereby the eastbound lanes will be separated from the westbound lanes by 5 blocks at certain points.  Although temporary, has this happened in other urban areas? I'm not counting the rural instances (I5, I24, etc).

rte66man

I-670 in Columbus, OH, though that's changing now.

That change is only temporary.  When the project's done, I-670 will again be split on either side of Fort Hayes (about ½ mile, or 6 city blocks, roughly round in shape).
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

M86

Aside from a few signage issues, the crazy thing in DSC07474 is interesting. I'm all for aesthics... The reconstruction of I-29 in Council Bluffs, Iowa produced a similar thingy, but they took it to whole a new level... It's an absolute monstrosity.   It's either at Exit 3 or 1B in Council Bluffs on I-29... It is the most ugly thing I have ever seen.

Edit:  The DSC07474 I was referring to was the pic on OKRoad's Flickr.  Thanks again for posting the photos!

okroads

Quote from: M86 on January 08, 2012, 05:59:12 AM
Aside from a few signage issues, the crazy thing in DSC07474 is interesting. I'm all for aesthics... The reconstruction of I-29 in Council Bluffs, Iowa produced a similar thingy, but they took it to whole a new level... It's an absolute monstrosity.   It's either at Exit 3 or 1B in Council Bluffs on I-29... It is the most ugly thing I have ever seen.

Edit:  The DSC07474 I was referring to was the pic on OKRoad's Flickr.  Thanks again for posting the photos!

This is the picture M86 was referring to. This is the Skydance pedestrian bridge; it is supposed to resemble the scissor-tailed flycatcher, the state bird of Oklahoma. It also has different colored lights but to my knowledge, it has not been lit up yet since the new I-40 opened. (Which is probably just as well; during the day, traffic has slowed down around the bridge gazing up at it)

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

M86

Quote from: okroads on January 09, 2012, 01:16:21 AM
This is the picture M86 was referring to. This is the Skydance pedestrian bridge; it is supposed to resemble the scissor-tailed flycatcher, the state bird of Oklahoma. It also has different colored lights but to my knowledge, it has not been lit up yet since the new I-40 opened. (Which is probably just as well; during the day, traffic has slowed down around the bridge gazing up at it)

I do like this.   The thing I saw in Council Bluffs on I-29 was over the top, and ridiculous... Wish I had a pic of it.  But, I really like this!

okroads

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

okroads

algorerhythms

Google Maps has updated to show the new alignment of I-40, though if you zoom out a bit, both the new and old alignments disappear entirely: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=35.427106,-97.338867&spn=0.576296,1.352692&t=m&z=10&vpsrc=6

Scott5114

bugo

Is the old alignment still open at all?

Scott5114

okroads

Quote from: bugo on February 20, 2012, 08:56:54 PM
Is the old alignment still open at all?

Nope; with the opening of the new westbound lanes, the old alignment is now completely closed off to traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.