News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Travel in May mostly in Missouri and Oklahoma

Started by brianreynolds, March 05, 2012, 11:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianreynolds

I have a roadtrip on the horizon that will take me from Michigan to Texas by the most indirect route that will get me to the church on time (my niece's wedding).  As with some other trips, I will be dropping my wife at Midway Airport mid-morning Thursday, May 10.  She will accompany me on the return trip.

Then I will aim for a few unvisited counties near Quincy IL, cross the Big River at Keokuk, and catch a few of the northern tier in Missouri.  I will probably stop for the night near Brookfield or Chillicothe.

On Friday, I will probably take US-65 to south of Springfield, then route TBD through Galena, maybe Siloam Springs, to an overnight somewhere near Sallisaw or Poteau. 

I need to be near Sherman/Dennison by early afternoon Saturday so I can check in at the motel, scrub, groom, and dress for success, then be at the church by 5PM.

For those who are familiar with the terrain, which are the motels to look for, which to avoid?  Where is the good local non-franchise food?  What are the good/bad/ugly diversions along the way that are too cool to miss? 

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

bugo

Take US 259 if you get a chance.  271 is nice as well.

hobsini2

Well since these are two states that i do a lot of storm chasing in, i think i can help some.

US 36 (Future I-72) across N'ern MO is IMO quicker than I-70 because of a less amount of traffic.
We also like to use US 75, US 69 & Indian Nation Tpk between Tulsa and Dallas instead of I-44/I-35. More direct and much more scenic in SE'ern OK.

Hotels/Motels:
We usually stay at Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, and Motel 6. Those are all good quality and reasonable with Motel 6 being usually the lowest price but also lowest on amenities.
Avoid at all costs Days Inn and Rodeway Inn. Anytime we have stayed at those two chains, it has been bad experiences.
I would also recommend Quality Inn, Clarion Inn, and Sleep Inn as they are part of Choice Hotels (same as Comfort Inn and Comfort Suites).

Food:
Kansas City MO - Jess N Jim's Steakhouse on 135th St. http://jessandjims.com/ Get the KC Style BBQ Ribs or the Steak Burger on Texas Toast.  :clap:
Ozark MO - Lambert's Cafe at Hwy J off US 65 between Springfield and Branson http://www.throwedrolls.com/ Good food. They litterally throw rolls across the restaurant.  :bigass:

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

bugo

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 07, 2012, 09:04:58 PM
We also like to use US 75, US 69 & Indian Nation Tpk between Tulsa and Dallas instead of I-44/I-35. More direct and much more scenic in SE'ern OK.

I prefer 44/35.  You don't have to slow down to go through any towns that way.  The speed limit keeps changing on 69/75 and it makes driving irritating.  I don't care if 35/44 is slower, I'd rather go that way.  And the Arbuckles are pretty scenic.

JREwing78

Well since these are two states that i do a lot of storm chasing in....

Seriously, I thought that was Brian's point at first. Why else would you go there this time of year? ;-)

brianreynolds

Quote from: JREwing78 on March 08, 2012, 07:25:59 AM

Seriously, I thought that was Brian's point at first. Why else would you go there this time of year? ;-)

Storms are not a reason/focus of this trip, but a spectacular display would be a plus.

Two springs ago, I was westbound across southern Iowa.  The radio was alive with repeated warnings of dire possibilities.  For well over an hour, I could see the incredibly tall clouds, headed for me, just as I was headed for them.  Oh my, the anticipation.

When we finally collided (just before sunset), the show did not disappoint.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

Alps

Hoping my upcoming midwestern trip is also something spectacular...

hobsini2

Quote from: brianreynolds on March 08, 2012, 06:55:40 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on March 08, 2012, 07:25:59 AM

Storms are not a reason/focus of this trip, but a spectacular display would be a plus.

Two springs ago, I was westbound across southern Iowa.  The radio was alive with repeated warnings of dire possibilities.  For well over an hour, I could see the incredibly tall clouds, headed for me, just as I was headed for them.  Oh my, the anticipation.

When we finally collided (just before sunset), the show did not disappoint.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

On my first "official" chase, we were heading back to Kearney NE from Ogallala (about 150 miles) after sunset and we ended the chase for the day. Practically the whole 150 miles was lightning every 3-6 seconds and rain sideways with the wind. We made it into the hotel 3 minutes before the storm hit Kearney. That was still some of the best lightning i ever saw. BTW a side note. When I chase at night in lightning, I have to have Pink Floyd playing on the radio, mainly "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "High Hopes", and "Run Like Hell". Something about that music makes it the right mood.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Mdcastle

Just a comment: The Keokuk bridge is by far the most boring one between St. Louis and the Quad Cities.

brianreynolds

Quote from: Mdcastle on March 13, 2012, 01:19:26 PM
Just a comment: The Keokuk bridge is by far the most boring one between St. Louis and the Quad Cities.
Thanks for the tip.  The blah and the boring are the price to pay for trying to see it all.

I am slowly (not very methodically) getting to all of the Big River crossings.  From Illinois, I have a few yet to do.  US-30, US-67 at Rock Island, US-136, US-24, US-54 and US-50 to go.

I travel to Texas at least once each year, sometimes twice.  I plan to do US-24 maybe next trip, US-54 after that.  I generally make a southern sweep on the return trip.  I have already used most of the crossing between Cairo and Baton Rouge, will probably use I-155 on the return trip in May.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on March 06, 2012, 01:51:27 AM

Bugo is right. If time is not a problem, the scenery is well worth it. 

IMO, you should avoid US69/75 at all costs. Too many speed traps/slowdowns.  Stringtown (just north of Atoka and home to a large prison) is notorious for its speed trap. So is Big Cabin.

-rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Quote from: rte66man on March 14, 2012, 10:03:59 AM
Quote from: bugo on March 06, 2012, 01:51:27 AM
IMO, you should avoid US69/75 at all costs. Too many speed traps/slowdowns.  Stringtown (just north of Atoka and home to a large prison) is notorious for its speed trap. So is Big Cabin.

Yes, 69 is horrible south of McAlester.  Last time I went to Dallas I went that way and came back via I-35E/I-35/I-44 and it was much less stressful although it took a little longer.  Well worth the extra distance and time.

They need to build freeway bypasses along US 69 and also build an expressway connector from I-44 to US 69 in Kansas.  Why this road has not been built, I don't understand.

Also, a bypass needs to be built around Panama and Shady Point along US 59/271.  Driving through those towns is a real hassle.  A short freeway should also be built from the Poteau Bypass to US 59/271 where the expressway and 65 MPH speed limit end.  And the Poteau Bypass should be signed at at least 65 MPH.  55 doesn't cut it.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on March 14, 2012, 01:51:19 PM
They need to build freeway bypasses along US 69 and also build an expressway connector from I-44 to US 69 in Kansas.  Why this road has not been built, I don't understand.

lol, and give up all that revenue? Never happen.  There was a proposal back in 1998 to build a turnpike from north of Durant roughly parallel and 2-3 miles east of the current US69.  You should have heard the howls from the towns that would be bypassed.

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

NE2

Also, a bypass needs to be built around Panama and Shady Point along US 59/271.  Driving through those towns is a real hassle.
How's SH 112 as an alternate to Fort Smith?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on March 14, 2012, 06:07:06 PM
Also, a bypass needs to be built around Panama and Shady Point along US 59/271.  Driving through those towns is a real hassle.
How's SH 112 as an alternate to Fort Smith?

It's the preferred route from Poteau to Ft Smith, but it needs to be widened to 4 lanes.  It has a lot of traffic and is only 2 lanes.  It is straight and mostly flat, so widening to 4 lanes would be easy. A Pocola bypass would be nice as well, as Pocola is a notorious speed trap.

It's not a good alternative for Poteau-Sallisaw traffic, however.  It is miles out of the way, and you have to drive through Pocola and Spiro.

bugo

Quote from: rte66man on March 14, 2012, 03:49:45 PM

lol, and give up all that revenue? Never happen.  There was a proposal back in 1998 to build a turnpike from north of Durant roughly parallel and 2-3 miles east of the current US69.  You should have heard the howls from the towns that would be bypassed.

rte66man

Fuck those towns.  They can either evolve or die.  The bigger towns like Atoka would be just fine.  Towns like Stringtown don't deserve to exist.

They bypassed Durant and it seems to be doing just fine.  They're about to bypass it again.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on March 14, 2012, 06:16:54 PM
Quote from: rte66man on March 14, 2012, 03:49:45 PM

rte66man

Fuck those towns.  They can either evolve or die.  The bigger towns like Atoka would be just fine.  Towns like Stringtown don't deserve to exist.

They bypassed Durant and it seems to be doing just fine.  They're about to bypass it again.

Apples and oranges. Durant is a college town with Choctaw tribal HQ as well. Atoka and MacAlester would be fine.  For an example of what the other towns fear, take a look at Caddo (just north of Durant. It was bypassed decades ago. Not a very lively place. 

Doesn't really matter. Hell will freeze over before OK has the $$$ to improve US69 more than incrementally.  A new interchange in Muskogee, another in MacAlester, and wait another 3-4 years.

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.