News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OK 63 between Kiowa and Haileyville: Worst state route in America?

Started by bugo, March 04, 2013, 09:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: corco on March 05, 2013, 01:18:23 PM
Oh, US-36 from the Kansas state line to US-385 in Colorado. Potholes the size of Cadillacs.

Again???  I remember it being like that back in the mid- to late-1990s, and then they repaved it.  At one point, you had to swerve back and forth between right and left lanes just to avoid potholes–on a US Highway, for crying out loud.  Sad to hear it's like that again.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 05, 2013, 06:30:40 PM
Easy, probably--but would it be worth it?  It sounds like the alignment and surfacing have not been improved beyond 1920's or 1930's standards but the road stays on the state highway system because Oklahoma DOT can't persuade the county to take it back and is unwilling to spend money to improve it to a standard that will guarantee acceptance.

According to the official ODOT highway map, the portion of OK 63 from the Indian Nation Turnpike blow-off to US 270 wasn't paved until the '90s.  However, the ODOT map isn't that reliable or accurate.  The pavement looks at least 40 or 50 years old.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on March 05, 2013, 08:18:38 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 05, 2013, 06:30:40 PM
Easy, probably--but would it be worth it?  It sounds like the alignment and surfacing have not been improved beyond 1920's or 1930's standards but the road stays on the state highway system because Oklahoma DOT can't persuade the county to take it back and is unwilling to spend money to improve it to a standard that will guarantee acceptance.

According to the official ODOT highway map, the portion of OK 63 from the Indian Nation Turnpike blow-off to US 270 wasn't paved until the '90s.  However, the ODOT map isn't that reliable or accurate.  The pavement looks at least 40 or 50 years old.

The biggest problem in that part of the state is politics. The Little Dixie crowd has pushed to get the roads in their districts onto the State system so the counties don't have to pay to maintain them.  As you said, the counties can't afford the maintenance.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

leroys73

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 05, 2013, 02:14:06 PM
Here's the one-lane section of NM 503:

In Chimayó

Edit:  Sign messages on Utah SR 261 (Moki Dugway) northbound:

10% GRADES - 5 M.P.H. SWITCHBACKS - NARROW GRAVEL ROAD - 8 MILES

OVERSIZED AND/OR OVERWEIGHT VEHICLES PROHIBITED - 6 MILES AHEAD

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR TRUCKS OVER 10,000 LBS. G.V.W. - RV's [sic!] - BUSES - VEHICLES TOWING

3 MILES OF UNIMPROVED ROAD - SHARP CURVES - STEEP GRADES - 6 MILES AHEAD

Several of these signs repeat within five miles of the hill climb.

Similar signage south bound.  On two wheels or four it is not all that bad.  Down hill just drop to a low gear, don't ride the brakes but brake easy, and take your time.  Muley Point is supposed to be a good view but I did not want to take my cruiser motorcycle in the sand and I was too lazy to walk so I can't say.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

corco

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2013, 08:07:41 PM
Quote from: corco on March 05, 2013, 01:18:23 PM
Oh, US-36 from the Kansas state line to US-385 in Colorado. Potholes the size of Cadillacs.

Again???  I remember it being like that back in the mid- to late-1990s, and then they repaved it.  At one point, you had to swerve back and forth between right and left lanes just to avoid potholes–on a US Highway, for crying out loud.  Sad to hear it's like that again.

Yeah, at least it was that way in September 09, last time I was on it. Same deal though, swerving to avoid potholes.

SD Mapman

Well, to get back to state highways, we in South Dakota have an actual gravel state highway (SD 53)! There is also a 5-mph turn on SD 1806 north of Fort Pierre.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

bugo

bugo

Maybe I should have titled this post "Worst state highway in mid-America" or "Worst state highway east of the Rockies."  All the other examples are far to the west of southeastern Oklahoma.

SD Mapman

I don't think SD 53 is that far west, however, it is a little far north. In more your neck of the woods, NE 65 near the southern border is gravel.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Scott5114

Depending on how loosely you define "state route", a lot of Missouri lettered routes are about the same standard as OK 63.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 13, 2013, 05:36:08 AM
Depending on how loosely you define "state route", a lot of Missouri lettered routes are about the same standard as OK 63.

Scott nailed the problem on the nose.  The definition (and quality) of "state" routes differs greatly by state.  I've driven on County roads in Minnesota that are better than most State highways in my home state of Oklahoma. 

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

I've never driven on a Missouri lettered route that was anywhere near as bad as OK 63.  And I've driven on a lot of Missouri lettered routes.  Not even in the same ballpark.  This road is bad.

empirestate

Quote from: bugo on March 12, 2013, 08:51:33 AM
Maybe I should have titled this post "Worst state highway in mid-America" or "Worst state highway east of the Rockies."  All the other examples are far to the west of southeastern Oklahoma.

Well I don't know OK 63 of course, but the description sounds pretty similar to a lot of PA quadrant routes. Those are state "routes" by name, and state highways in fact, so with your now-broadened definition, they definitely qualify!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.