AASHTO Route Numbering Database Documents

Started by Rover_0, September 22, 2020, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Do realignments to parallel streets in urban areas have to be approved by AASHTO when a two way street is turned one way and one alignment must relocate?

I ask because in Florida you have two cities along US 17, that FDOT built from scratch parallel roadways so the original one can become one way.  In Arcadia SB US 17 is built upon an abandoned rail grade while in Zolfo Springs to widen US 17 to four lanes without taking away properties, FDOT built a new NB road to the east of the old US 17 (now SB) so all the businesses that front the east side of US 17 are in the middle of the highway.  So I was wondering if FDOT (or other states that do this) have to get approval from AASHTO to do this kind of thing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

If a full realignment, then yes.  But if one direction still follows the original street, then no.

NE2

Oklahoma is probably the only state that submits that sort of relocation.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mapmikey

I just clicked on that link and was able to call up a states' list of documents...

NE2

Almost anything from Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Michigan between 1926 and 1933 seems to be missing. Every other state has the log AASHO compiled in late 1926 and sent for corrections.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

U.S. 313 was actually a proposal in Maryland.  :hmmm:
The June 8, 1931 AASHO Addenda Minutes Executive Committee minutes references the route, though with it crossed out:

QuoteU.S. 313, Maryland. U.S. 313 in Maryland is extended from Eldorado to Mardelia Springs.

I have not found anything else related to U.S. 313 so far.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Alex on February 11, 2021, 01:22:44 PM
U.S. 313 was actually a proposal in Maryland.  :hmmm:
The June 8, 1931 AASHO Addenda Minutes Executive Committee minutes references the route, though with it crossed out:

QuoteU.S. 313, Maryland. U.S. 313 in Maryland is extended from Eldorado to Mardelia Springs.

I have not found anything else related to U.S. 313 so far.

The appearance of US 313 in the 1931 AASHO minutes is an erroneous description of something that happened to US 213.

In the 1930 scan below, US 213 ran Rhoadsdale-Eldorado-Mardela Springs.  Maryland requested changing US 213 to run via Vienna instead and extending MD 313 which ended in Eldorado to instead continue south over old US 213 to Mardela Springs.  Whoever translated that into the approved minutes mistated this as US 313 (or the Maryland request, which is not currently available, did)

If it's any consolation, US 313 was officially proposed by NC/SC to run on today's SC/NC 41 from the Charleston area to Elizabehtown NC

kenarmy

I found some interesting ones from Mississippi:

Biloxi to Jackson, TN All of MS 15 (it would've followed other routes to connect with its southern segment), TN 125, and TN 18 to end at US 45. There was also a proposal for a slightly different route that would instead go to Pascagoula, MS.

Hollandale to Homerville, GA. It would've used MS 12, MS 19, AL 10, and GA 37. When this was rejected, it was reapplied for only MS 19, AL 10, GA 37 from Philadelphia, MS. I've actually proposed making this corridor as a US route, I had no idea it was done in real life.

Avondale, LA to Crystal Springs MS 27 from Crystal Springs, LA 25, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway(!), 90 BUS. (!!) to end at US 90.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

kurumi

It's conventional wisdom that US 44 and US 202 were conceived in 1934 to promote tourism. Were there other routes created with that same explicit goal?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

I seem to recall that was the purpose of US-412, but I might be wrong.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: kurumi on April 03, 2021, 01:53:48 PM
It's conventional wisdom that US 44 and US 202 were conceived in 1934 to promote tourism. Were there other routes created with that same explicit goal?
I seem to remember it being explicitly stated in these records that 202 was an inland bypass of 1.

Lyon Wonder

US 202 should be replaced with a northern extension of either US 13 (the segment of US 13 in PA to US 1 can be renumbered as an SR) or US 301.

sturmde

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on April 14, 2021, 02:15:55 AM
US 202 should be replaced with a northern extension of either US 13 (the segment of US 13 in PA to US 1 can be renumbered as an SR) or US 301.
I know I've advocated for a US 202 - US 301 merger before, but had never considered US 13 as an alternative.  This is a GREAT idea, because it would evoke the Thirteen Colonies.  We could get this done proposed and made to happen for the sesquibicentennial (or quartermillenial, choose your Latin) in 2026! 
I'd alter it just a bit though:  US 13 would stay on its current routing but then join US 1 up to PA 32, running along PA 32 through the historic (Thirteen Colonies) site of Washington Crossing, crossing the Delaware and then running on NJ 29 up to and then picking up US 202 all the way to Bangor, Maine.  Add on ME 9 and the new crossing into New Brunswick for a full extension north of US 13. 
The routing of 202 north out of Wilmington could be done as a northern extension of US 301, running along with the new US 13 and then ending at I-287 whereas US 13 would continue.
To make it full US 13 through the Thirteen Colonies, you'd need a southern extension at least to SC and GA.   Take over US 301 from Wilmington NC to Sarasota FL?

Alps

Quote from: sturmde on April 15, 2021, 02:36:26 PM
Quote from: Lyon Wonder on April 14, 2021, 02:15:55 AM
I know I've advocated for a US 202 - US 301 merger before, but had never considered US 13 as an alternative.  This is a GREAT idea, because it would evoke the Thirteen Colonies.  We could get this done proposed and made to happen for the sesquibicentennial (or quartermillenial, choose your Latin) in 2026! 
I'd alter it just a bit though:  US 13 would stay on its current routing but then join US 1 up to PA 32, running along PA 32 through the historic (Thirteen Colonies) site of Washington Crossing, crossing the Delaware and then running on NJ 29 up to and then picking up US 202 all the way to Bangor, Maine.  Add on ME 9 and the new crossing into New Brunswick for a full extension north of US 13. 
The routing of 202 north out of Wilmington could be done as a northern extension of US 301, running along with the new US 13 and then ending at I-287 whereas US 13 would continue.
To make it full US 13 through the Thirteen Colonies, you'd need a southern extension at least to SC and GA.   Take over US 301 from Wilmington NC to Sarasota FL?
Take it to Fictional Highways, please

Mapmikey

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 04, 2021, 10:06:11 PM
I seem to recall that was the purpose of US-412, but I might be wrong.

US 412 was a creation (including apparently the number) of various Chambers of Commerce within Arkansas, Missouri and Tennessee.

See pg. 6 here - http://www.ahtd.state.ar.us/minute_orders/MO80-89.pdf

The mystery remains why '412', though.  Was this the lowest number that none of the 3 states had in use at the time?

usends

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 25, 2021, 11:12:38 AM
US 412 was a creation (including apparently the number) of various Chambers of Commerce within Arkansas, Missouri and Tennessee.

See pg. 6 here - http://www.ahtd.state.ar.us/minute_orders/MO80-89.pdf

The mystery remains why '412', though.  Was this the lowest number that none of the 3 states had in use at the time?

*1980: AR, MO, and TN request US 412 (AASHTO approves).
*1989: AR and LA request US 425 (AASHTO approves).
*1994: AR and LA request US 427 (AASHTO approves but changes number to 371).

Clearly it wasn't AASHTO coming up with these 4xx numbers (further debunking the hypothesized "12.5 rule").  The common thread in each request?  Arkansas.  And we've documented how (long after most states had kind of soured on US routes) Arkansas has been quite actively requesting new ones.  All this leads me to suspect it was someone at AHTD who was coming up with these 4xx numbers. But that still doesn't answer your question: I can't perceive a methodology in their choice of numbers (other than even numbers for E-W routes and odd numbers for N-S routes).
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

route56

Quote from: usends on April 26, 2021, 12:35:48 PM
Clearly it wasn't AASHTO coming up with these 4xx numbers (further debunking the hypothesized "12.5 rule").  The common thread in each request?  Arkansas.  And we've documented how (long after most states had kind of soured on US routes) Arkansas has been quite actively requesting new ones.  All this leads me to suspect it was someone at AHTD who was coming up with these 4xx numbers. But that still doesn't answer your question: I can't perceive a methodology in their choice of numbers (other than even numbers for E-W routes and odd numbers for N-S routes).

Somewhere in this, you neglected to mention US 400. Is Kansas just Arkansas with the "AR" crossed out?
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

usends

Quote from: route56 on May 03, 2021, 12:04:33 PM
Somewhere in this, you neglected to mention US 400. Is Kansas just Arkansas with the "AR" crossed out?

Despite its similar 4xx number, US 400 is not really related to the three others I listed.  We know that Kansas wanted an interstate across its southern tier, but when that didn't happen, they were thrown a bone and given the opportunity to unify their desired corridor with a new US route number.  In 1994, reportedly AASHTO gave KDoT a list of options, and they chose 400.  That's different than the three other recent 4xx routes with weird numbers, which came prior to US 400 and were suggested by (I suspect) AHTD.

froggie

^ Do you have a source for the point that AASHTO offered KDOT a list of possible numbers?  I didn't see a source listed in your article, nor did I see the list (I'm a bit curious what KDOT passed over).

usends

Quote from: froggie on May 03, 2021, 10:33:28 PM
^ Do you have a source for the point that AASHTO offered KDOT a list of possible numbers?  I didn't see a source listed in your article, nor did I see the list (I'm a bit curious what KDOT passed over).
I'd like to know the answers to those questions too.  I don't have a source for the info (hence the word "reportedly"), but I've been hearing that little factoid for years from multiple people in the roadgeek community, including a couple in this thread.  I privately asked some people about it, but so far I have not found proof.  (Then again maybe some troll on MTR just fabricated it years ago, and we've all been quoting him ever since!)

A variant of the story is not that AASHTO offered KDoT a list, but rather that KDoT asked AASHTO if the number 400 was available.  Regardless, it seems likely that Kansas chose the number, even more so in light of the fact that very same year (1994) AASHTO disallowed the US 427 designation in AR/LA.  So if AASHTO was getting back to following its own numbering guidelines, then why wouldn't they have rejected the 400 designation as well?  Maybe their hands were tied because the request from KDoT had already been granted. 

Avalanchez71

Quote from: usends on May 06, 2021, 12:06:11 PM
Quote from: froggie on May 03, 2021, 10:33:28 PM
I'd like to know the answers to those questions too.  I don't have a source for the info (hence the word "reportedly"), but I've been hearing that little factoid for years from multiple people in the roadgeek community, including a couple in this thread.  I privately asked some people about it, but so far I have not found proof.  (Then again maybe some troll on MTR just fabricated it years ago, and we've all been quoting him ever since!)

A variant of the story is not that AASHTO offered KDoT a list, but rather that KDoT asked AASHTO if the number 400 was available.  Regardless, it seems likely that Kansas chose the number, even more so in light of the fact that very same year (1994) AASHTO disallowed the US 427 designation in AR/LA.  So if AASHTO was getting back to following its own numbering guidelines, then why wouldn't they have rejected the 400 designation as well?  Maybe their hands were tied because the request from KDoT had already been granted.
++

Write to the various Chambers of Commerce and ask why they proposed US 412.

Avalanchez71

Looks like US 31A in TN was requested to be either numbered as 31A or 31E if acceptable.  Looks like AASHTO opted for US 31A.  Letter date 6/10/47.

Rover_0

I found another tidbit: There were plans for US-163 (nee US-164) to be designated along AZ-98 to Page AZ, and some planners in Utah wanted to send it west via (US-89) and then UT-15 (today's UT-9).

https://na4.visualvault.com/app/AASHTO/Default/documentviewer?DhID=b37982f6-52e6-ea11-a98a-ff9beffbfef8&hidemenu=true
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Rover_0

Another one I stumbled across: There was some chatter about extending US-84 to Oregon, supplanting US-26 from Bliss ID west.

https://na4.visualvault.com/app/AASHTO/Default/documentviewer?DhID=8cc0faab-07d5-ea11-a98a-ff9beffbfef8&hidemenu=true
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

CNGL-Leudimin

US 84 to Oregon would have prevented I-80N from being renumbered to I-84 :sombrero:. And the Interstates were already under construction by the time of that letter (1959).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.