News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: Captain Jack on March 14, 2014, 10:09:09 AM
I also agree with quesitoning why this proposed interstate is going to Washington instead of straight up 231 to 69. That appears to add at least 35-40 miles to the route.
Using current roads from Jasper to Washington and then I-69 is 14 miles longer than sticking to US 231. A straighter route bypassing Jasper to the west would cut that to below 10 miles. On the other hand, it would cut necessary construction by at least 15-20 miles.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

silverback1065

i-67 has very questionable usefulness at best, what is wrong with a 4 lane divided highway with a 60mph speed limit?  We don't need interstates everywhere! 

civeng

I also agree with quesitoning why this proposed interstate is going to Washington instead of straight up 231 to 69. That appears to add at least 35-40 miles to the route.

Since I-69 is already built, going to Washington would mean fewer miles would need to be constructed than if going up 231.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 14, 2014, 10:18:11 AM
i-67 has very questionable usefulness at best, what is wrong with a 4 lane divided highway with a 60mph speed limit?  We don't need interstates everywhere!

We live in an age of entitlement.  Everyone's feelings are important, and every town apparently deserves the growth benefits unfairly accorded to those few with the blue and red trademark that denotes "someplace important."

agentsteel53

as long as there are no traffic lights; I'm okay with at-grades when needed.

and a speed limit of 70mph would be much nicer.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

silverback1065

It's really annoying hearing the whole interstate = jobs thing from politicians.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Captain Jack

Agreed. US 41 is deemed adequate serving Evansville, Vincennes, Terre Haute to NW Indiana/Chicago. US 30 works for Ft. Wayne, Wabash and NW Indiana/Chicago, US 24 out of Fort Wayne, US 31 South Bend/Indy...surely the same would be sufficient in serving towns the size of Owensboro and Jasper. Based on population alone, I would have to assume that traffic counts are significantly higher on US 41, 24, 30 and 31 than would ever be counted along US 231 in Southern Indiana.

Brandon

Quote from: Captain Jack on March 14, 2014, 12:09:50 PM

Agreed. US 41 is deemed adequate serving Evansville, Vincennes, Terre Haute to NW Indiana/Chicago. US 30 works for Ft. Wayne, Wabash and NW Indiana/Chicago, US 24 out of Fort Wayne, US 31 South Bend/Indy...surely the same would be sufficient in serving towns the size of Owensboro and Jasper. Based on population alone, I would have to assume that traffic counts are significantly higher on US 41, 24, 30 and 31 than would ever be counted along US 231 in Southern Indiana.

"But..but..but..(sputter)..the magic red, white, and blue Interstate shield always brings more jobs and moar money!  It's magic, I tell you!  It will magically turn our town into NYC from this shithole just by being posted!"
- Mayor of the Village of Buttfuck, State of Pissant
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

vdeane

Quote from: civeng on March 14, 2014, 10:27:58 AM

Since I-69 is already built, going to Washington would mean fewer miles would need to be constructed than if going up 231.
And having I-67 take over I-369 to meet I-69 in Henderson would be cheaper still.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Brandon on March 14, 2014, 12:41:50 PM
Quote from: Captain Jack on March 14, 2014, 12:09:50 PM

"But..but..but..(sputter)..the magic red, white, and blue Interstate shield always brings more jobs and moar money!  It's magic, I tell you!  It will magically turn our town into NYC from this shithole just by being posted!"
- Mayor of the Village of Buttfuck, State of Pissant

In fairness, a) it's not just politicians but whole communities creating this hype, and b) people in some towns that do get Interstates talk about them like it was crucial to their economic future (paid attention to the Evansville media lately?).  Why should folks in non-Interstate towns believe differently?

andy

Not that this really has anything to do with the bridge and responding to the renaming of "I-67" effort to Midstate corridor;

As someone who is frequently on the US231 between Jasper and Crane, I am pleased to see the good folks of Jasper are dropping the non-sense of I-67.  I don't think they could ever be taken seriously.  I also would like to echo the sentiment that US231 does not need to be an interstate, but it certainly needs to be improved.  I also think a new alignment (231 or whatever) to Washington still makes the effort weaker because it serves no purpose beyond the Jasper interest.  As pointed out, when (not if) the I-69 bridge (back on topic!) gets built, you will not have to start much south of Owensboro to choose Evansville as a via point instead of Jasper.  Only the most direct route possible (current 231 corridor) would provide any economic advantage.

Long way of saying, fair start re-naming the effort, but drop the insane zig-zag route to nowhere just to get a bypass built.

vdeane

I'd say something about Owensboro wanting I-69E, but then I'd just be giving the mayor (bad) ideas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 41

Hopefully I-67 doesn't happen.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

thefro

Game over for Ron Payne... FHWA says that the current route on the Parkways is designated in Federal law.

QuoteU.S. Representative Ed Whitfield (KY-01), Chairman of the House Subcommittee on Energy and Power, sent a letter to the Federal Highway Administration, Feb. 26, 2014 regarding recent proposals to alter the route of Interstate-69.
In the letter Whitfield stated: "It has recently come to my attention that some people are interested in shifting the route to the east, following United State Highway 231 from Washington, Indiana to Owensboro, Kentucky."

Whitfield pointed out that the route currently designated as Interstate-69 is of vital importance to Western, KY, and that he was instrumental in seeing this route designated in Federal law as part of the SAFETEA-LU Technical Corrections Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-244).

Today, Whitfield received an official response from FHWA Deputy Administrator Gregory Nadeau.

In his response, Deputy Administrator Nadeau confirmed that a change in Federal law would be necessary in order to re-route Interstate-69 through Owensboro.

He also stated that the impacts of altering the route at this point would be significant and cost prohibitive, as millions of dollars have already been spent based on current statute and already completed work would essentially have to be re-started in order to accommodate the new route.

"I am pleased that FHWA agrees with me that not only would it require a change in federal law to move the route, but it would also be cost prohibitive. It is also my understanding that the William Natcher Bridge in Owensboro is only a two lane bridge and does not meet Interstate bridge standards, which require a four lane bridge and an emergency safety lane. This essentially negates claims that have been made that the Natcher Bridge would prevent a new bridge from having to be built,"  said Whitfield.  "I understand importance of Interstate 69 to Kentucky and to my constituents in Henderson and the surrounding communities. It is essential that we remain united and committed to completing the designated route as soon as possible,"  he concluded.

theline

Mr. Nadeau is mistaken about the Natcher bridge being only two lanes. It has four lanes, but it clearly does not have the required "emergency safety lane." See here: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.902741,-87.035446,3a,75y,157.15h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1wq9ZzxNUu5hDPtpat6EcQ!2e0?hl=en

If you think Mayor Payne is done though, you're wrong. I've seen the type before. He'll just keep squawking, even when no one is listening. Fewer and fewer are listening.

US 41

It's basically the same quality as the US 41 twin bridges.

theline

Which is why those bridges would not meet interstate standards either.

US 41

Except they claim that the US 231 bridge is interstate quality.

NE2

Quote from: US 41 on March 17, 2014, 08:40:34 AM
Looks like it is.
US 231 Natcher Bridge:

I-295 Dames Point Bridge:

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US 41

Quote from: NE2 on March 17, 2014, 09:06:43 AM
Quote from: US 41 on March 17, 2014, 08:40:34 AM
Looks like it is.
US 231 Natcher Bridge:

I-295 Dames Point Bridge:

Can you show a picture of the US 41 twin bridges and the US 231 bridge on the same post?

NE2

US 41

There's not much of a difference between these 2 bridges, besides the fact that one is iron and the other is a suspension. (The one on the top is the US 41 twin bridges. The one on the bottom is US 231.)

NE2

The shoulder's definitely wider on US 231. How about the lanes themselves? How wide is each lane? It looks like the shoulder plus right lane on US 231 is wide enough for a car to pass a stopped car, but maybe not on US 41.

US 41

Ya maybe, but I don't think it's worth spending a billion dollars to build a new bridge that is a foot or 2 wider.

silverback1065

Wouldn't an interstate bridge need 2 ten foot wide shoulders on either side of the 2 lanes? So at least 44 feet wide including everything (for just one bridge)?

SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.